The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GAS and Mirrorless (Decisions Decisions)

jonoslack

Hi There
apologies for double posting - some of you may have been following the soap opera which is the Decisions Decisions thread - Clearly I had to come up with some carefully reasoned and intellectual argument to explain my decision.

. . . . . only I found it difficult, as the decision is largely emotional. Anyway, I thought I should write something about it . . . and here it is:

m_driscoll

Hi There
apologies for double posting - some of you may have been following the soap opera which is the Decisions Decisions thread - Clearly I had to come up with some carefully reasoned and intellectual argument to explain my decision.

. . . . . only I found it difficult, as the decision is largely emotional. Anyway, I thought I should write something about it . . . and here it is:

Good read and decision. :clap:

Cheers, Matt

iiiNelson

Hi There

Agree with the decision but I admit I'm biased. The good thing about the other systems is that they're inexpensive enough that you could pick up a body and the longer lenses that you'd maybe need on occasion for a comparative bargain. You could either rent or buy and sell. I've debated maybe buying OM-D and the 100-300 lens for a smaller safari solution later this year.

Ben Rubinstein

Great read and man, with all that GAS, well, glad I'm not sleeping in the same bedroom :p

BTW the 5D3 also had the spot meter lock feature, I had it mapped to the mFN button and I loved it. I have to admit that I've never used it on the A7r. Or spot metering at all. Seems rather irrelevant in the days of an EVF showing me my final exposure as I take it. I spot meter with my eyes, anywhere I want in the frame, without having to lock and recompose. Look at scene, ride EC wheel which is at my thumb until the metering is perfect and shoot. Am I the only one?

Viramati

Thanks Jono. Made a good read in a moment of insomnia at 3 in the morning. You conclusions mirror my own. I now work with the M and A7 together. wider lenses on the M and native FE lenses and longer leica lenses on the A7. All my fuji gear has now gone (apart from X20) and I a pretty happy. BUT if only the A7 had the XT1 controls..... the story will continue

Thorkil

Hi There

very nice writing to read, and somehow I guessed it would end that way, and will make my decision for the A7 in the future easyer + the 24-70, the 55 and an upcoming 16-35
thorkil

scott kirkpatrick

Some thoughts that I take away from Jono's very public airing of the options, and the opinions of others in the conversation:

Fuji's exotic color filter arrangement doesn't seem to have added anything (was Moire every really a problem?) to compensate for the difficulty that every Raw converter except Capture One, SilkyPix, and AccuRaw has had in demosaicing without smearing or artifacts.

Fuji and Olympus have a distinguished history of lens design, although rumors have it that some of the m.Zuikos are sourced outside. It could be a shame to part with the best of those lenses. Cosina/Zeiss/Sony seems to want to offer everything from haute couture to discount outlet.

Bigger pixels still rule, especially when there are more of them as well. This may change.

Leica has a long way to go with mastering liveview. When you compare shooting with longer lenses, the long blackout time and the sorta obsolete VF-2 Olympus viewfinder on the M[240] make the A7 and the A7r, which handle both issues better, pretty attractive. I'll bet that Jono's WATE also lives on his Sony now. But this also may change. When is the Leica M[360] expected?

scott

PS: and granddaughter Scarlett has a wonderful smile.

Last edited:

fotografz

Ah, the Reality Soap Opera ends as many do … a marriage and couple of divorces. :)

I think the Sony decision is a good one not so much out of a direct comparison, which didn't seem to be an easy one given how good the choices were.

I think it is a good way to go because the FE mount system with FF sensor is just getting started, and the possibilities seem tantalizing. Fortunately, experimentation and the "If Comes" at these prices are not terribly risky.

- Marc

tashley

Subscriber Member
Now Jono has made his decision, it behooves the rest of us to talk him up into an A7r. Let battle commence...

iiiNelson

Now Jono has made his decision, it behooves the rest of us to talk him up into an A7r. Let battle commence...
It's inevitable but it may behoove him to wait a few months and see what Sony will announce in the next couple months... Unless he can get one of those smoking $500 off deals.

Tim

Good decision Jono, I think there was no wrong decision here, just a better one.
Choosing any of the three would be applauded by someone.

The decision is probably only temporary too, until the next round of gear is released and the GAS starts all over again. :deadhorse:

I must admit my EM-5 is looking unsafe now that there has been some price drops on A7/r s. :facesmack:

scott kirkpatrick

Now that all the perfectly fine Oly M4/3 gear is going to have to be unloaded while the herd calls "A7r" softly to each other, anyone with a 12-40mm Olympus 2.8 zoom that they don't need, please send me a PM.

I'm serious. Best I have seen new with deal is still $950.

thanks,

scott

emmef2

Now that all the perfectly fine Oly M4/3 gear is going to have to be unloaded while the herd calls "A7r" softly to each other, anyone with a 12-40mm Olympus 2.8 zoom that they don't need, please send me a PM.

I'm serious. Best I have seen new with deal is still $950.

thanks,

scott
Scott, I second your statement, m4/3 (and APS-C) solutions give very good image quality in a small, convenient package that is more than enough in most cases.
I will give my humble opinion, the excitement about the A7r comes from the fact that A7r + FE 24-70 combo changes a bit the bulk/IQ quality equation by allowing better image quality with a small increase of size and weight.
Also the A7r allows using (with limitations) at the intended FOV all the lenses stored in our enthusiasts closets :)
If the market for a mirrorless FF will prove profitable we can expect other brands to join and compete, but that depends also on how much image quality gap m4/3 and APS-C will be able to recover compared to the current 36MP champion

jonoslack

You know, nobody did. I guess the Olympus M43 gear is holding its place. (Or in one case, was deaccessioned long ago...so last year!)

scott
Hi Scott
i did consider sending you a PM (as I have this lens) but somehow, despite the article, the E-M1 and 12-40 seem to be here, just like they were before.

all the best