The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FDn 85/1.2 L & 7R

danlindberg

A remarkable and true legend of a lens. I had a FDn in the eighties (F1n & T90) and later the EF version for the 1Ds2.
I found a mint condition one and had an immediate GAS attack. Recieved it yesterday and went for a stroll in Malaga city. No tripod, all handheld. All shot wideopen f1.2. Only possible though with 6-stop ND (Heliopan). Forgot the hood, so without hood and quite strong sun at times.
These are images with no particular intention in my mind other than testing how a 30 year old lens works on a modern cam.
Can't wait to use it with Alpa FPS and my fat pixel back Aptus II 5 :D

mjm6

Dan,

I was a Canon shooter in the 80's and 90's, with most shooting using a few F-1's and later adding a T-90 as well. One of my favorite lenses was the 85L... I did a lot of low-light shooting at the time, and used it to get the shot, rather than for a specific aesthetic purpose.

I just bought another 85L after having sold mine in about 1998 when I switched to the EF line. Bought a 50L as well... Why did I ever get rid of those lovely lenses in the first place?

---Michael

danlindberg

Thanks guys! It really is a beautiful lens. This is my third copy and now it stays. I'm eager to try it with the FPS and both fat pixel back and the Credo.
I will do some more serious tests tomorrow solidly pinned down on a tripod. Handheld works, but it isn't easy and more misses than hits. I realise that for the portrait shoots I will definitely use a monopod with the tiny mini magic ball novoflex in a loose fashion. This I hope gives many hits when vertical axis is solid, yet lots of flexibility. We'll see....

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Thanks guys! I realise that for the portrait shoots I will definitely use a monopod with the tiny mini magic ball novoflex in a loose fashion. This I hope gives many hits when vertical axis is solid, yet lots of flexibility. We'll see....
If that is not ideal perhaps one of these....

Monopod Heads

I have used this and an earlier variant of it for 10 years, everything up to H3D II 39 and a 1Ds Mk II with the small 400 F5.6:

MH-01 Pro monopod head

Bob

danlindberg

Testimage.

Tripod • Base iso 200 • f1.2 • 1/6400 • Distance 3 metres • 2 second timer • hood

100% crop. Not bad for f1.2, 30 years old lens and 36mp fullframe!