The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7R lenses Shift options for architectural photography.

daf

Hi all,

I'm working as an architecture photographer with a techcam system (Cambo Wrc400/cambo wds/35sk/sk47/sk72 /120sk / leaf aptusII 7 and Aptus22), well i'm happy with my system, and the quality of files...

But i need to add new techonology to improve my worklow (liveview,focus mask, usb3 for tablet tethering, better high iso, etc ...).

Let's say moving to an IQ 260 is far too expensive for me!
So i was thinking to stay with my system and add this A7R with few lenses...but i'm affarid that i've become a bit exigent on lenses.

I only need shift lenses, tilt is actually a plus, but maybe due to diffraction on thoses small sensor, this is going to be a need (what do you think?).

Are the canon tse, really up to 36mpx ?
I've seen many tilt shift adapatator on ebay...but which lenses would be up to the task? i need 24/35/50/90mm ...
how re corner perfomance?
Would you sell pictures for double pages, or A1 print with thoses lenses?
How is dealing with retrofocus and distorsion, in a professional workflow?

I know i'll have to test all this by myself, but to do it i will have to buy things and if it doesn't fit my need then i'll have to sell them and loose quite a lot of money....
So, if some of you would be kind enough to share their experience and send me some rawfiles, with medium or large shift, it would help me a lot.
Thanks
David

mbroomfield

I've just got my A7r, but only have the 17mm TSE in Canon EF. I do plan to add the 24mm TSE after I've checked the 17 with the 1.4x to see if that's acceptable. Not sure I'll have results soon though.

There have been a lot of posts in the Canon and Alt forums on Fred Miranda. From what I've read and seen, in general the results have been good with the following caveats;

• Need to ensure the adapter is truly parallel, copy to copy variation (I've only seen comments on the Metabones III)

• Internal flare from the adapter may have to be damped. See the post about adding flocking.

• TSE are big/heavy. A good solution for support on a tripod seems to be to bolt an L-plate on the Metabones adapter foot and use this in place of a camera body L plate

I've got an old Canon 5D L plate that looks like it may work, although I think a spacer is also needed to give all combinations of shift (I don't use downshift very often at all though).

For 35mm the old Canon FD TS lens is pretty good, or a Canon-medium format Mirex tilt-shift adapter with Pentax 645 or Mamiya lenses works well

I'll be testing the 17mm this week if the weather is OK

jlm

Workshop Member
me too.

just got the canon 24mm TS-E and the metabones Mark III.
Werner Utsch has been posting a bit with the 24mm, good results

took two versions to get a good metabones (not too tight, consistent electrical contacts, etc.) due to sample variation? working fine now.

and i am in the process of making an L-plate that will fit the metabones with arca style grooves for tripod mounting.

also making an L-plate that will fit the Sony LA-Ea4 adapter which mounts Sony Zeiss lenses (i have the 135/1.8 Zeiss)

Bob Parsons

I'd be very interested in an L-plate with Arca style grooves for the Metabones Mark III adapter. Is the one you are making a "spacer" that has a single hole fixing which attaches to the existing Metabones foot or is it a grooved foot with locating pins that replaces the Metabones foot. The latter is preferable since the two locating pins would prevent it from turning.

I'm hoping the weather will be fine this weekend so I can try the 17mm TS-E with the A7R.

Bob

Bob Parsons

I've just got my A7r, but only have the 17mm TSE in Canon EF. I do plan to add the 24mm TSE after I've checked the 17 with the 1.4x to see if that's acceptable. Not sure I'll have results soon though..........
I've read there is a difference in performance between the original 1.4x, 1.4x MkII and 1.4x MkIII extenders when used with the 17mm TS-E. If I remember correctly best performance was with the MkII although I can't find the original write up on this. Probably worth bearing in mind and checking.

Bob.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
The Canon 17 is on my hit list. It's one reason I bought my Zeiss 25mm F2 in the Canon mount was I already have the Metabones III adapter on hand and I could rent the 17 or possible buy it. Rather buy it but will see. I hear it's really good on the A7r

tashley

Subscriber Member
Guy, I have one with the Metabones, having tried four copies of the 24 on both the A7R and a 5DIII and found them all soft on one side. The 17 seems OK but I haven't really tested it yet so I will and then I will write it up.

mbroomfield

I've read there is a difference in performance between the original 1.4x, 1.4x MkII and 1.4x MkIII extenders when used with the 17mm TS-E. If I remember correctly best performance was with the MkII although I can't find the original write up on this. Probably worth bearing in mind and checking.

Bob.
Good to know Bob as that's the one I have.

Hi all,

Are the canon tse, really up to 36mpx ?

David
I don't own any Canon TSE. I had older version of Canon TSE which I had sold when I moved to MFDB.

However, I was in "CI in Carmel", and my MFDB dealer Dave Gallagher, CEO, Capture Integration was loaning IQ250, Alpha tech cam and Canon 17 TSE combo to the participants, who wanted to test drive IQ250.

So I guess if Canon 17 TSE is good for 50mpx, then it will be good for 36mpx, as well.

Capture Integration sells both Canon and Sony as well.

Subrata

thomas

The Contax PC-Distagon 2.8/35mm (C/Y Mount) works really great on the A7R. It provides 10mm Shift Rise & Fall and 360* Rotation (no Tilt/Swing). At f8 it's sharp to the edges of the image circle.

Professional

Once i can get the adapter for A7r then i will test my Canon TS-E 24II, i bought Sony A7R today and didn't use it yet until i can buy the adapter or a lens that is compatible with it if not Canon, then i can post something here about the results if you want.