The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A6000 arrives tomorrow...

tashley

Subscriber Member
I'll be primarily interested in its tracking performance. I'll give it a go with the 24-70 F and the 55 F1.8 though what I rally want to know is how it'll do with the 70-200F4.

Whatever its merits, the only think I'm interested in is 'can it track' and if it can't do so to some reasonably useful level, it won't find any place in my bag.

Watch this space!

fotografz

I'll be primarily interested in its tracking performance. I'll give it a go with the 24-70 F and the 55 F1.8 though what I rally want to know is how it'll do with the 70-200F4.

Whatever its merits, the only think I'm interested in is 'can it track' and if it can't do so to some reasonably useful level, it won't find any place in my bag.

Watch this space!
:bugeyes:

- Marc

k-hawinkler

Watch this space!

Well, can it track better than the E-M1?
TIA.

k-hawinkler

I hope so. The E-M1's tracking was pretty hit and miss in my use, and not useful for my occasional needs...

Thanks Tim. I hope so too. Looking forward to your experiences.

The E-M1 tracks much better than the E-M5 though. My best tool for tracking hummingbirds in flight has been the D800E and the new AF-S 80-400 lens. My D800E suffered from the left autofocus problem but was successfully repaired by Nikon.

iiiNelson

So I'm just going to say it because it's not said enough. I don't care how fast the AF is... I care about how accurate it is. When companies start bragging about the accuracy of their autofocus (in the non-Pro bodies) I think I will pay more attention. Give me an accurate 3-5FPS that I can consistently count on and they can keep the 10+FPS where on 1 or 2 frames are actually in focus.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Yea the speed factor going blazing fast is not my priority either. Just give me dead solid accuracy even in single shot mode with a decent buffer is all i care about. I do NOT lay on the Horn ever.

iiiNelson

Yea the speed factor going blazing fast is not my priority either. Just give me dead solid accuracy even in single shot mode with a decent buffer is all i care about. I do NOT lay on the Horn ever.
That is what lead to my A77 going to the chopping block and me pretty much only using the M9 for everything. Sure there were some shots that I missed with the M9 (anyone who tells you differently is most likely lying) but I could count on the vast majority of pictures (and I'd gather better than 90-95%) being in focus or close enough.

jonoslack

So I'm just going to say it because it's not said enough. I don't care how fast the AF is... I care about how accurate it is. When companies start bragging about the accuracy of their autofocus (in the non-Pro bodies) I think I will pay more attention. Give me an accurate 3-5FPS that I can consistently count on and they can keep the 10+FPS where on 1 or 2 frames are actually in focus.
Well, there's not much doubt about the AF on the E-M1 - fast and accurate, it's the tracking that lets it down - to be honest, I think that all the mirror less cameras seem to have fast and accurate single shot focusing, it's continuous that isn't.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Bloody thing hasn't arrived yet - so I spent the time organising a wife swap with Jono. Don't ask.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Well, there's not much doubt about the AF on the E-M1 - fast and accurate, it's the tracking that lets it down - to be honest, I think that all the mirror less cameras seem to have fast and accurate single shot focusing, it's continuous that isn't.
I must say that in my experience the AF tracking of the EM1 works pretty well if set to AF area of 9 AF points. It is not quite up to the Nikon D800E, but not too much different. And I tested with the 75-300 II and the 12-40. Especially at 300 I was surprised how good this works. Actually this is one of the main reasons why I am keeping the EM1, as it gives me kind of what I am looking for in AF tracking for wildlife. Only a faster super telephoto zoom would be really on my wish list!

Having said that - if set to single AF point or even "small single AF" point it really sucks. But then also D800E gets worse if only using a single AF point.

IMHO the EM1 is lightyears ahead of the Fuji's (name your favorite) and I cannot speak for the A7/A7r as I did not test AF tracking there.

No doubt the next generation(s) of mirror less cameras will outperform classical DSLRs, I would bet even the D4s and D1X likes.

jonoslack

I must say that in my experience the AF tracking of the EM1 works pretty well if set to AF area of 9 AF points.
I've not tried this Peter. Perhaps those who moan about it haven't either. Certainly I've found the Olympus focus generally better than the Fuji X-T1

tashley

Subscriber Member
The courier company screwed up. I am promised today, on pain of things too nasty to repeat...