The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Trick Question Survey. Will post the twist after a few replies

Which one ?

• Image 1 is way better

Votes: 10 71.4%
  • Image 2 is way better

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Both are close

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters

ryc

Ok. So these two images were taken a few months apart. Different lenses, different cameras. They are similar and lighting and contrast is off a little but close enough. One may be sharper than the other one may have better bokeh etc ... Does one of these two photos stand out as significantly better than the other? Would you say I would not there is no way I would shoot with the lens or camera that took this or that photo ? I am curious about your thoughts because the hidden info will be surprising.

Please do not try and cheat by looking at the exif. If you do, please keep it to yourself :)

Image 1

Image 2

ZoranC

Significantly better in which way?

P.S. It is impossible for me to compare anything that is not even close perspective and crop.

nostatic

Who cares about the color and bokeh - composition is totally different. fwiw I like #1 even though it looks maybe a bit "worse" from a technical perspective. The angle draws me into the shot.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Creatively number one is nicer but it's also softer compared to number 2 which looks to resolve better but the bokeh on the first one is not as nervous looking. This is tough since I know the first one color is reflecting the light back which is less saturated by color so number 2 has better saturation and I do like red better in 2.

From technical point they're pretty close. I wouldn't call it night or day based on that. But number one is better as a picture, because the number two has aignificantly more distracting background. And also number one based on this small web size is a tad sharper with better detail. That's on iPad screen reading from thread, so miles away from a meaningful result...

//Juha

ryc

Yes. Number 1 is a better composed picture. But I was really looking for differences in rendering more than anything else. The bokeh differs because number 1 was shot at f1.4 with an Otus and number 2 was shot at 2.8 cropped with a sony 70-200mm 2.8 GII. One day if the sun ever comes out again here in Portland, I will reshoot 2 with the 50 ZA.

Tim

Part of the problem here is the semantics. I went with both are close, because they are. Neither is WAY better than the other. #1 in areas appears a tad sharper, DOF is higher in #2 but then that is just aperture or lens related. Displaying for comparisons for the web is always hard. I think I prefer the colours in #2 more.

Psst: I did look at the exif after I voted. :toocool: