The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Question for you a7/R flip screen users

J

JohnW

Yesterday I had my first street outing with the A7 and I request help with an issue. I tend to shoot street with the flip screen at chest or waist level. I like the discreteness and point of view.

The issue is that when I bring the camera up to that level, and then rotate it to make it level, the LCD regularly shuts off. I sent my first A7 back for this issue, thinking it was an electrical problem. Now I believe it's the changing light level in the EVF turning the LCD off. I routinely shoot my Nex 7 this way and have never encountered this behavior. Yesterday it was a regular occurrence that caused many missed shots. There is no realistic way to reactive the LCD - other than randomly moving the camera. Do any of you shoot this way and experience this with your a7/R? If so, how do you handle it?

I realize I can turn off the EVF, but I like having it available. Unfortunately, it seems the Finder/Monitor parameter cannot be assigned to a custom function or button. Switching using the menu is not realistic.

I'm probably missing something obvious, but would appreciate any thoughts you have on the issue. Thanks.

John

Last edited:

jlm

Workshop Member
Re: Question for you a7/R users

there is a sensor near the viewfind that shuts off the LCD and turns on the EVf when your eye (or finger!) gets near it. you can probably disable it in the menus somewhere

The menu button remembers where it was left last. Keep it at the Finder/Monitor option and when you click it again it's there.

J

JohnW

The menu button remembers where it was left last. Keep it at the Finder/Monitor option and when you click it again it's there.
Thanks, Ken. But it still takes four or five button actions, even with menu memory.

pegelli

If it's the same as my NEX6 (which also has this problem) just pull out the screen a little from the camera after flipping it horizontal. In my case that gets the picture back on the LCD.