The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Help with Metabones Smart Adapter III & Zeiss 85mm 1.4 ZE on A7R

FedEx just brought these gems this morning. Problem/question is this: The aperture doesn't stop down when viewing/focusing. (Yes, I have 'Setting Effect' turned ON.)

It definitely stops down when I shoot, but at no other time will it stop down to the selected aperture while viewing/focusing. So no way to check DOF.

Am I doing something wrong? Do I have a bad Smart Adapter?

Any help much appreciated.

PS
I don't have any other Canon EF lenses to test the adapter with.

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Mike try this on the adapter hold the button down. You need to change settings on the Metabones. It has two setting. Check there site

mazor

Mike how are you testing this adapter without any EF lens?

Without EF lens, there will be no electronic stop down feature let alone any electronic communication with the lens if it is not EF.

Mike how are you testing this adapter without any EF lens?
The Zeiss is an EF lens. What I meant is that I didn't have a second EF lens to check if it behaved the same way.

Got it functioning properly via Guy's suggestion about switching modes on the adapter. Working great.

mazor

ahh ok, interesting that Zeiss can can incorporate electronic aperture control but decided on not incorporating an AF motor while they are adding all this electronics. Would have loved a Zeiss EF lens with AF capability.