The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with A6000

Thanks all. To clarify, not all the shots in that link were A6000 - some were A7 and A900.

In reference to the EVF, I honestly haven't paid too close attention or noticed much of a difference so I guess that says something. I'll take a closer look and report back.

One thing I did notice is that with the A7 EVF in standard mode (not high quality), I see more moire or edge shimmer than I do with the A6000. I actually mark that as a positive in favor of the A7 as the moire is the perfect MF assist. I end up having to focus magnify on the A6000 due to a less pronounced shimmer.

Chad

Sorry to clog up the stream here but I had promised a series of images illustrating positive AF tracking on the A6000 with the LAEA-4 and Minolta 200/2.8 APO. This series took just under 2 seconds and I did not lay on the shutter so there were two distinct shutter activations - you can see the small break after image #3.

All images were at 2.8 and he scored :)

iiiNelson

Great shots... Been debating this camera for my girlfriend for her birthday. Seems like a potentially great one for her plus I have all the other great FE mount lenses.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I'm really tempted to get one of these. Here's my mental debate if I get one than its three different lens combinations. A, E and FE. Just getting confusing as heck. The new A77 makes more sense as it has a vertical grip though. That I need for shows.

Guy, I have the same internal debates. At the end of the day, considering the percentage of time I need a high FPS AF tracking camera (not very much), I went with the A6000, due to its size. I can slip the A6000 into my small Domke and it takes up no more space than a lens. Clearly, the A77II will be the proper camera for the job though.

Mikal, I was actually scheduled to be on the Psych Fest's photo team but ended up having a conflict so am sitting this one out.

Guy Mancuso

Yea I will probably sell my A7 and get the A77. This is one reason I have been collecting A glass. Right now in A I have the 20, sigma 35 1.4, 85 and 135. Or maybe better yet rent the A77 for my show stuff. Have weigh this out since I have the 55 FE and I have a Zeiss 25 canon mount. Maybe need to look for a Canon to Sony A adapter .

Seriously this has been my concern coming back to Sony is these mounts. I'm not triple buying glass

Guy Mancuso

Or sell the A7 get the A6000 till the A7s comes out. This way I get full use of all my lenses and having a 190mm 1.8 would be special. Reality is I can get the A6000 and 16-70 for 1300 which is pretty much what I'll get for the A7 or even better get a Zeiss tuoit 12mm for a couple bucks more.

Professional

Ok, things with me is very confusing and sometimes i am lost on my buy.

I bought A7R to use it for landscapes and architecture or even cityscape because of higher mp, i tested once with my TS and loved it, so i am done with it, but now my concern with Sony cameras is about AF.

I am going to sell my Canon 1D MarkIIn very soon, then i was thinking to buy another camera that is fast so it can be a backup for my 1DX, 1D3 is the backup but this may go away later as someone asked me to buy and i am waiting his confirmation, and i want to buy only new body and not used, so Canon 1D4 is out of my equation.

Now Sony produced A6000, it has 24mp and 11fps, so if i only consider those 2 features then this will beat my 1D3 and 1D2n or even my 1DX for sports, it is a crop body so i may not crop much and still have enough mp to play with, not sure about the high ISO but mostly i don't shoot higher than 6400, so i will not worry how good Sony high ISO compared to Canon new DSLRs, but the only thing i am very much worried about Sony cameras compared to Canon 1 series cameras is the AF speed.

So, how good is this camera A6000 AF speed with or without adapter? I may think to buy say Sony native lens FE 70-200 so i don't need to use an adapter, how good AF of this camera with native lens and using say 11fps?

And now Sony also announced about A77-II, the specification is almost same this A6000 but i see that A77-II is better, so i may ignore A6000 and go with A77-II, but with both cameras, how the AF speed is? I will wait about A77II review about AF speed, and also will keep watching this A6000 reviews, i will not buy any of both cameras for travel or landscapes or portraits, only i care about sports/wildlife/action/....etc, say fast moving subjects photography.

lambert

Yea I will probably sell my A7 and get the A77.
A77? Hmmm ... hot off the press from the totally awesome one:

"I wouldn't buy one of these Sonys, I'd step up to a real Canon or Nikon DSLR for better color rendition, higher real speeds and better overall handing, for less money. Honest, I greatly prefer the less expensive Canon SL1 or Nikon D3300 over any of the Sonys. The Sonys are flashy and loaded with foolish features, while real cameras are better at doing what we really need them to do: just take the picture — and Nikon's and Canon's 18-55mm lenses are much better then the Sony equivalents." KR

:D

Looks like there is a lot on people's minds.

It is the double edge sony sword - lots of options = too many options

I happened to be at Precision Camera today when they got an FE 70-200 in. I had my A6000 with me and we pulled an A7 off the display. I'll cut to the chase and say I was VERY impressed with AF speeds on both cameras, although it was practically instant on the A6000. This was inside the store, so not ideal light. Really cool.

The built quality looks to be Identical to the 70-200/2.8 A-mount lens, so very nice, and the lens felt great in hand on both bodies.

I'm not a zoom guy and I have the Minolta 200/2.8 APO so that takes care of most my needs - and if I want more reach I adapt it on the A6000 - BUT the FE 70-200 is tempting. Admittedly, I didn't have enough time with it to do any kind of IQ evaluation but I have a hard time believing the results won't be stellar.

Ok, things with me is very confusing and sometimes i am lost on my buy.

I bought A7R to use it for landscapes and architecture or even cityscape because of higher mp, i tested once with my TS and loved it, so i am done with it, but now my concern with Sony cameras is about AF.

I am going to sell my Canon 1D MarkIIn very soon, then i was thinking to buy another camera that is fast so it can be a backup for my 1DX, 1D3 is the backup but this may go away later as someone asked me to buy and i am waiting his confirmation, and i want to buy only new body and not used, so Canon 1D4 is out of my equation.

Now Sony produced A6000, it has 24mp and 11fps, so if i only consider those 2 features then this will beat my 1D3 and 1D2n or even my 1DX for sports, it is a crop body so i may not crop much and still have enough mp to play with, not sure about the high ISO but mostly i don't shoot higher than 6400, so i will not worry how good Sony high ISO compared to Canon new DSLRs, but the only thing i am very much worried about Sony cameras compared to Canon 1 series cameras is the AF speed.

So, how good is this camera A6000 AF speed with or without adapter? I may think to buy say Sony native lens FE 70-200 so i don't need to use an adapter, how good AF of this camera with native lens and using say 11fps?

And now Sony also announced about A77-II, the specification is almost same this A6000 but i see that A77-II is better, so i may ignore A6000 and go with A77-II, but with both cameras, how the AF speed is? I will wait about A77II review about AF speed, and also will keep watching this A6000 reviews, i will not buy any of both cameras for travel or landscapes or portraits, only i care about sports/wildlife/action/....etc, say fast moving subjects photography.

Professional

^^^ I see, i can wait more reviews.

Also i feel i want to go with A77-II over A6000, I am not in rush for any of those cameras yet, i am sure within 4-6 months from now i can see more impressions from people about A6000 until Sony release A77-II and again waiting for that camera reviews, I can buy both because A6000 is cheap, but i don't want to end up using one and ignoring the other completely, i better buy A7s with one of those cameras than getting A6000 and A77-II, but i always can wait.

I have Canon 300 2.8IS, i don't know if this will be fast enough on Sony with adapter, if it will be as fast as this lens on Canon body with extender then i am in, if not then it will be pointless or useless to buy this camera for sports and i suffer with AF speed on players moving actions.

Annna T

^^^ I see, i can wait more reviews.

Also i feel i want to go with A77-II over A6000, I am not in rush for any of those cameras yet, i am sure within 4-6 months from now i can see more impressions from people about A6000 until Sony release A77-II and again waiting for that camera reviews, I can buy both because A6000 is cheap, but i don't want to end up using one and ignoring the other completely, i better buy A7s with one of those cameras than getting A6000 and A77-II, but i always can wait.

I have Canon 300 2.8IS, i don't know if this will be fast enough on Sony with adapter, if it will be as fast as this lens on Canon body with extender then i am in, if not then it will be pointless or useless to buy this camera for sports and i suffer with AF speed on players moving actions.
The Metabones EOS->FE adapter is very slow. Unless you are using old techniques like prefocusing, you won't be able to use AF for sports with that adapter. And even when you get an AF confirmation it isn't always in focus. I think that other adapters are even worth (at least for the moment). It is OK for landscape and slow photography, but not for action or sport. Not even for street photography IMO. Certainly not for kid photography either.

Guy Mancuso

Well just rented it for the weekend . Have a small runway shoot. Like to try the 135 1.8 with it and see how it tracks over the A7. I'm thinking for PR type work like this I will keep the A7r at home, it's just a little too slow . I had too switch from the A7r yesterday to the A7 quickly shooting some podium work, the shutter lag I had a little trouble with on the A7r which is fine for most work. Just here it does not play as well. I'm thinking if the A6000 is a good backup and second body to the A7 it would be a better choice for this kind of work. Having a 135 1.8 at 190 1.8 at full 24mpx instead of a cropped A7 image would be better too. Which is what I have been doing. So a APS cam on hand is truly a help. If it don't work out than I will jump on a A77ii exactly for this. Having a 70-200 F4 is going to be a bit too slow,plus the 135 is killer good even wide open. I don't go over ISO 1600. So this is a good test for me. BTW with shipping from lensrentals and fees for 4 days its 64 dollars which is cheap to try before you buy. I will try and run some tests too over the weekend. Might be one heck of a travel cam too.

Ulfric Douglas

Chad thanks for the lacrosse series, the crispy grass shows the focal area really well so we can see what's happening.
Tell me about that lens?

The lens is a beauty. Minolta 200mm f/2.8 High Speed APO. Built like a tank with an integrated metal hood and focus lock button as well as a metal "shield" ring that can be slid over the manual focus ring when in AF mode.

I got this one mint from Japan with the original caps and nice padded Minolta hard case. Cost for a nice one is about $900-$1000 which I think is a steal.

Guy Mancuso

The lens is a beauty. Minolta 200mm f/2.8 High Speed APO. Built like a tank with an integrated metal hood and focus lock button as well as a metal "shield" ring that can be slid over the manual focus ring when in AF mode.

I got this one mint from Japan with the original caps and nice padded Minolta hard case. Cost for a nice one is about $900-$1000 which I think is a steal.
You need to keep this secret quiet. LOL

Fabulous lens want to buy it again

Seriously though just be aware the paint does chip off this lens and its pretty normal so looking for one in prime paint condition maybe tough. For me i don't care as i don't collect glass but use it so most of them will be user condition.

You need to keep this secret quiet. LOL

Fabulous lens want to buy it again

Seriously though just be aware the paint does chip off this lens and its pretty normal so looking for one in prime paint condition maybe tough. For me i don't care as i don't collect glass but use it so most of them will be user condition.

Yes, they were pretty much the height of 1987 lens technology and build quality. I also like the fact that there is no IS to fail over time so it should give many years of service. My Canon 70-200 went to the shop twice during my ownership and most my friends that shoot it have had similar issues.

scho

Bringing back the Osprey. A nesting platform on the south end of Cayuga Lake in central NY. There was a nesting pair of birds in residence, but they were preoccupied when this shot was taken. :D

A6000+PZ 16-50