Site Sponsors
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Fun with A6000

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fun with A6000

Guy, I rented another a900 from them a few months ago. Excellent outfit to deal with.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Couple of walkabout shots with the A6000 and M-Rokkor 40mm f/2.

Carl
    Gallery
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

JUST got the A6000 and even though I didn't have A LOT of time to test it the AF REALLY surprised me positively (specially when compared to the A7's AF).
    Here are some VERY QUICK tests out of my window with a focal reducer and a Canon FD 24-40mm f2.8.

Post Thanks / Like

Playing around the house (fe 28-70)

www.rafael-lopes.com
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Just picked it up yesterday. will use with the ZA lenses.

Post Thanks / Like

Straight out of the A7 with the FE 55mm 1.8

www.rafael-lopes.com

Post Thanks / Like

I never expected myself to be on a Nex, er. Alpha thread, but here I am.

From last night (Sony SEL35mm F1.8 OIS - 52.5mm equiv)

- Ricardo
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I honestly have bought these small point and shoot cameras before and have sold them off just about as fast as I can but this one. I have to say I'm pretty impressed by it and I actually like shooting with it and the files are darn good. Now it serves as not only a solid backup but a fairly serious tool I can actually use with client work. This weekend I'm away from home so I have it my new Sony 24 ZA and my ZA 20mm with me but the little kit lens ain't half bad. I'm mostly shooting the 24mm to try it but this makes things fun for me.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

My wife

Iso 2000, Canon FD 50mm f1.4 with an off brand focal reducer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    I honestly have bought these small point and shoot cameras before and have sold them off just about as fast as I can but this one. I have to say I'm pretty impressed by it and I actually like shooting with it and the files are darn good. Now it serves as not only a solid backup but a fairly serious tool I can actually use with client work. This weekend I'm away from home so I have it my new Sony 24 ZA and my ZA 20mm with me but the little kit lens ain't half bad. I'm mostly shooting the 24mm to try it but this makes things fun for me.
    Guy, the biggest problem I am finding with the A6000 is that I am not seeing the same "bite" I am used to seeing with the Fuji or even the Nikon V3 in the right situations. After some arduous research I see it's a factor of:
    - the lens (the Zeiss lenses add certainly more punch)
    - but by a big % the raw converter.

I found DXo does a *superb* job with color. But unfortunately if you use their distortion correction you get sometimes concentric circles in photos at high iso. I did a google search and they sort of acknowledged a solution which is to turn vignette correction off, and that helped but not quite in all situations.

Turning distortion finally did it but turning off distortions in a raw converter is a bit umm...

Ironically the Sony Image Data Converter does a pretty good job with color.

I am not quite impressed with LR 5.4 here (though not surprised- I saw this problem before with Pentax RAW files).

B&W in LR 5.4 is ok.

- Ricardo

PS: Update- Guy- I have never been impressed with the Nex's, except this A6000 (Alpha now I guess). It's like Sony "figured it out." Good ergonomics, great handle, still small (which I like/a must for me), customizable, good features.

Post Thanks / Like

Rawfa- I like the expressions and portraits but I find the black point seems off (kinda low contrast/not black set to some level of gray). Otherwise I like.

- Ricardo

Post Thanks / Like

Ricardo, I was actually going for a bit of a faded look without going too far.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just got home from a wedding planning trip in Lake Havasu. I shot some stuff that I'll post tomorrow in ACR. Still waiting for C1 support than I'll have a better idea of this sensor.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

Waiting for my adapter to use ZA lenses. but here is one with the nikon 28mm 2.8 ais

JT --

CameraPeddler

My Gallery

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I shot these with the A6000 and the ZA 24mm F2 lens with the Sony 4 adapter around F7.1. I processed these quickly in ACR which is not my processing program so I am still on the fence about quality of files until I get them in C1 which will give me a better idea on performance of this sensor BUT i am still very impressed by this cam so far. I know I am keeping it thats a given. Im in mental debate about the A77II and getting that as well since I do NEED a higher performance machine for my big runway shows and rent the ZA 70-200 2.8 for it. But my thinking for all PR and event work is the A6000 and A77II with my full assortment of A glass and getting the 16-50 2.8 DT lens for the A77II which is perfect for on camera flash and grip and grins. Than use my A7r for the real work with more client advertising and landscape work. Having all three bodies A7r, A6000, A77II just about covers anything thrown at me. Right now in A mount glass I have the Sony 20 2.8, 24mm F2, Sigma 35mm 1.4, 85 1.4 and 135 1.4 plus I have a 55mm FE and this little kit lens on the A6000 which aint too bad but may sell it just for the cash to get my A77II and its kit lens which I think is much better and faster. Im about to hit the pre-order buttons on it right now. LOL

Anyway the Sony 24mm F2 looks darn good and need to get it on the A7r but so far its got what I want. These are nothing special I was scouting for wedding locations

Post Thanks / Like

Guy - the files look nice and clean. How will the 77II give you better performance? Grip? Extra battery? More focal points?

I read a review of the a6000 by a sports shooter whose review I found on sonyalpharumors.com. You will have to cut and paste the link.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news...orld-in-motion

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Exactly what I am thinking is the dang grip more than anything with close to 15k in images i just can't wrap my hand over a camera with my arthritis. Plus I gain extra battery power , more AF points and I am thinking better low light AF continuous tracking and more important the 70-200 F4 FE is a little too slow and rather have the ZA 70-200 2.8 which I rent. Although I am guessing they are using the same sensor but the A77II i think is using a separate focusing engine which sounds to me to be more accurate. One other little issue with clients sometimes is and hate to even say this but you need to look Professional with your gear and the A77II has more meat to it. I know sounds pathetic but appearance some times works.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One other thing the 16-50 2.8 DT is rated pretty good and sounds like the perfect zoom in these APS mounts

Nice feature with the A77II as well is I can go about shooting without a adapter so all my A glass can take advantage of all those AF points. So model work and portraits would be nice to actually not focus and recompose. Thats a big plus and the price is low on it.

This would give me a outstanding AF kit and i still get my cake and it it too with my 36mpx A7r. The more I digest this the more it makes perfect sense to me and i can actually justify it to myself and for my business makes a good decision. This is scary I am just to logical here and normal thinking. ROTFLMAO

Really I am buying time until all the FE glass is out and proven plus by than a new 7 series will be on version II. Im just thinking ahead

But I don't want to take away from the A6000 as this thing is got some juice to it. It will now reside with me on all shooting as backup and primary if needed

Post Thanks / Like

Not being a pro, I don't have the issue of how the cameras appear to my clients. However, I was speaking with a former reporter who has read up on all of the Sony gear. I mentioned that I was thinking about the a6000 with the underwater housing. He immediately told me that if I get that combo he will pay me to photograph and video his son's swim strokes (his son is one of the fastest in South Florida). My ancient Nikonis is on its last legs anyway.

Now that I followed your advice on how best to track things, I will stick with the a900 for a while more, though it too has issues when first trying to focus on a moving subject (flag football player).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yea I saw your post they look good but I am assuming the A900 is not unto what these new breeds of AF are today and they keep breaking new ground too. I would hold off just a little bit and see whats around the corner. I am truly buying time here which you don't have too. i have client needs and that dictates a lot. If there was no client I would not be buying the A77II thats a given right there. The A6000 is just a nice carry around and its got some punch. It paid for itself on one gig a week or so ago and more important I nailed it with it too and the files look great.

Now that underwater housing looks dang cool and a bunch of fun to have with the kids.

My kids are too old BUT I am going to be a grandpappi in October. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Do you mean renting the 70-200 2.8 G ?

If you do make sure you get the GII which I have. It as good as the Nikon VRII But focuses extremely fast! It would be a 300 2.8 on the 6000. Let me know how tat works out. If you can't get it just shoot me a message.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes rent the 70-200 2.8 and yes I want a 300 effective. I'll get the latest. I have the 135 1.8 so I really don't need to buy the zoom since I use it a couple times a year. So I just rent it.

Post Thanks / Like

Guys, what was the AF like with the A6000 and the LA-EA4?

Post Thanks / Like

Guy, I already own the first version of the Sony 70-200/2.8G. I am quite happy with it and don't feel the need for the latest incarnation even though it is faster. I still need to hone my skills and don't want to rely on a much more expensive piece of glass if I don't need it. Also, from what I understand, the glass is pretty much the same as on the first version but the focusing is faster.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh Boy!!! Not sure how much smaller these things can go. The comments are interesting.

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com"]http://www.sonyalpharumors.com

Post Thanks / Like

Exactly what I am thinking is the dang grip more than anything with close to 15k in images i just can't wrap my hand over a camera with my arthritis. Plus I gain extra battery power , more AF points and I am thinking better low light AF continuous tracking and more important the 70-200 F4 FE is a little too slow and rather have the ZA 70-200 2.8 which I rent. Although I am guessing they are using the same sensor but the A77II i think is using a separate focusing engine which sounds to me to be more accurate. One other little issue with clients sometimes is and hate to even say this but you need to look Professional with your gear and the A77II has more meat to it. I know sounds pathetic but appearance some times works.
    I agree 100% about having to look professional with your gear. The oly em-1 looks like a dslr and most clients don't notice a difference. However I would be reluctant to show up with my nex-7 even though photos taken with it have been on museum display. A PR director once said to me, "just the fact that you show up and the flash goes off is worth what I pay you. If I get any pictures I consider that gravy".
    Appearances are everything and perception is reality

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yea even though my little A6000 doing podium work with the 135 1.8 was outstanding in IQ i felt a little under viewed lets say having the A77II along with it will look better. One other mention here the Sony 43 flash is somewhat big on the A6000 although works very good it fits the A77II much better with balance

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Two shots of the old Cascadilla boat house with the A6000 + PZ 16-50.

Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I noticed in ACR on the sharpening tab on Detail it was fairly high. I tried 20 and looked better

Post Thanks / Like

Totally in love with this camera ! Checkout this collection of A6000 with the ZA 50mm 1.4 using the LA-EA4 adapter. Photo Gallery | The sonyalphaImages Free Online Photo Gallery

Just starting to play around with it.

Here are a few wit the 135mm 1.8

Last edited by ryc; 4th June 2014 at 20:10.

JT --

CameraPeddler

My Gallery
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I was actually thinking of selling my FE 55 and get the 50 1.4 A. One everything I have is A glass. Second is I will have 3 bodies. A7r, A77II and the A6000. If you think about it than it makes sense. The A77II will take full advantage of the A glass with 79 AF points and that is why I am buying the A77ii is for continuous tracking and AF. The A7r is the landscape , advertising machine which barely needs AF. The A6000 would take a AF hit though but that's mostly backup and travel. Anyway it certainly has entered my plan for sure.

The 50 is not cheap though and than there is the Sigma 50 Art series in A mount hopefully someday soon. So this is not exactly on my short list but it is there.

Post Thanks / Like

My IR-converted A6000 and V Rhinocam came this afternoon. Very excited!
    What are you guys using for raw conversion?
    Eduardo

Post Thanks / Like

A quickie.
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ualomex and anyone interested in infrared, please join the Infrared Capture thread in the "New or Interesting Techniques to share" forum.
    -Cindy
    www.cindyflood.com
    www.flickr.com/cindyflood

Post Thanks / Like

Can anyone using the A6000 with the LA-EA4 comment on the AF speed?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

AF speed is no different between the A7 and A6000 when using the LA-EA4. Speed is primarily dependent on the the adapter and you lose any hybrid focusing tricks of the A6000. That said, the LA-EA4 is still pretty fast. I've compared it to my A900, and in good light they are equal, in lower light the LA-EA4 slows a bit for some reason - or I should say it has a harder time acquiring focus.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I was actually thinking of selling my FE 55 and get the 50 1.4 A. One everything I have is A glass. Second is I will have 3 bodies. A7r, A77II and the A6000. If you think about it than it makes sense. The A77II will take full advantage of the A glass with 79 AF points and that is why I am buying the A77ii is for continuous tracking and AF. The A7r is the landscape , advertising machine which barely needs AF. The A6000 would take a AF hit though but that's mostly backup and travel. Anyway it certainly has entered my plan for sure.

The 50 is not cheap though and than there is the Sigma 50 Art series in A mount hopefully someday soon. So this is not exactly on my short list but it is there.
    I was underwhelmed with the 50/1.4 - you will regret giving up the IQ of the 55mm.

I struggle with the same complexities of owning multiple Sony bodies - A900, A7, A6000 but the 55mm stays!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Show Performance View Post
    I was underwhelmed with the 50/1.4 - you will regret giving up the IQ of the 55mm.

I struggle with the same complexities of owning multiple Sony bodies - A900, A7, A6000 but the 55mm stays!
    You must have had a bad copy or something. I hve nothing but praise for the 50. It is spectacular!

JT --

CameraPeddler

My Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

For some reason it wont display the full size image here

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well there is 2 versions the latest is a Zeiss 50 1.4 and cost about 1400.00

My problem is the 55 fits 2 out of 3 bodies the A7r and A6000 and I'm buying the A77Ii. The other problem is I don't use a 50 mm much but its a nice 75 on the A77ii and A6000. I could just get the Sigma 50 1.4 since it is fairly cheap. I'm still short on cash to get the 16-50 2.8 DT which I need. Mental debate on this one. I like the 55 and my copy is brilliant . It's actually perfect

Post Thanks / Like

have a look at this hand held. its the larger version of the Annex building above

http://www.zeissimages.com/gallery/4...5868.SEQ.0.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Like I said, this is a spectacular lens and mostly used one.

One more.

Full size here http://www.sonyalphaimages.com/galle...8872.SEQ.0.jpg

Here is a crop of just the face

JT --

CameraPeddler

My Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

Second day. The learning curve is waayyy steeper than I thought. I can't get a decent B&W image. I don't know if it's because the Super Color conversion or what? However, color ones are starting come nicely.
    Maybe that's the reason I see so much color IR.
    Eduardo
    P.S. By the kind invitation of Cindy, I will cross post this time at the "New or Interesting Techniques to share" forum.

Post Thanks / Like

Eduardo,

Very nice color IR! I shoot a lot of B&W IR with Canon cams converted with deep IR filters, not color, but I find both ACR and RawTherapee can create nice B&W images. When using ACR, I open the RAW, white balance on a cloud or something appropriate (or just do it by eye to start), then convert to B&W and begin to adjust the various RAW conversion settings to taste. I then open in Photoshop and use either Nik software or OnOne software to tweak the image to give it more or less of a traditional B&W, IR "glow". I've just begun to explore using RawTherapee RAW conversion software for IRs so don't have much in the way of wisdom there other than to say at first blush it seems very good at obtaining great results right from the get go. You may want to give it a try. They just added support for the A6000 and the software is free (if not easy to use).

May I ask what lenses you're using for the IR shots? I'm very tempted to sell my recently converted Canon 5D2, buy a 2nd A6000 and convert it. I'm really loving the A6000 (my first ICL mirrorless - I'm a fullframe DSLR kinda guy but maybe not for much longer) and wouldn't mind a small IR cam that can share my E mount lenses. I'm using the 16-70 f/4 and 10-18 f/4 lenses and wonder if they'd be OK with IR.

Cheers & thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

With the following combo

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Great portraits, Jorge! The A6000 sings. You and a mutual friend must be chatting
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Post Thanks / Like

Ashwin, I am really enjoying this camera. Our fiend uses the native lenses while I use the A with adapter. Either way, amazing camera and enjoyable to shoot with.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well there is 2 versions the latest is a Zeiss 50 1.4 and cost about 1400.00

My problem is the 55 fits 2 out of 3 bodies the A7r and A6000 and I'm buying the A77Ii. The other problem is I don't use a 50 mm much but its a nice 75 on the A77ii and A6000. I could just get the Sigma 50 1.4 since it is fairly cheap. I'm still short on cash to get the 16-50 2.8 DT which I need. Mental debate on this one. I like the 55 and my copy is brilliant . It's actually perfect
    That's right, I was referring to the Minolta/Sony version, not he ZA.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought both Sony 50f1.8 and 20f2.8 to use them with the IR converted A6000. These were the lenses I found under my budget. Originally I wanted to use the IR A6K with the 16-50 kit lens, but Lifepixel told me that they knew this was the only lens in the Sony E mount that didn't work because hot spots.
    I happened to own this lens that bought with the Nex6. i ran an informal test with this lens and found no hot spots whatsoever, at least not yet.
    Please go to the New & Interesting Techniques > "Capturing Infrared" and read posts 98 and 102.
    Regards
    Eduardo

Quote Originally Posted by akclimber View Post
    Eduardo,

Very nice color IR! I shoot a lot of B&W IR with Canon cams converted with deep IR filters, not color, but I find both ACR and RawTherapee can create nice B&W images. When using ACR, I open the RAW, white balance on a cloud or something appropriate (or just do it by eye to start), then convert to B&W and begin to adjust the various RAW conversion settings to taste. I then open in Photoshop and use either Nik software or OnOne software to tweak the image to give it more or less of a traditional B&W, IR "glow". I've just begun to explore using RawTherapee RAW conversion software for IRs so don't have much in the way of wisdom there other than to say at first blush it seems very good at obtaining great results right from the get go. You may want to give it a try. They just added support for the A6000 and the software is free (if not easy to use).

May I ask what lenses you're using for the IR shots? I'm very tempted to sell my recently converted Canon 5D2, buy a 2nd A6000 and convert it. I'm really loving the A6000 (my first ICL mirrorless - I'm a fullframe DSLR kinda guy but maybe not for much longer) and wouldn't mind a small IR cam that can share my E mount lenses. I'm using the 16-70 f/4 and 10-18 f/4 lenses and wonder if they'd be OK with IR.

Cheers & thanks!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Can't find my manual for the 6000. If the lens correction settings for distortion, CA, and vignetting are set to AUTO or ON in the camera do these corrections get applied to the RAW files or not? I have lens profiles available in LR and don't want to end up making lens corrections twice if they are already done in camera.
    Carl
    Gallery