Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Fun with A6000

Post Thanks / Like

Fun with A6000

Somebody had to do it.

Not sure yet how much fun I'm having, but they are with the A6000...

Likes 17 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fun with A6000

Tim, I really like the "look" of that last posted image (B&W). Doesn't sound like you're all too thrilled with the A600 in terms of handling. Am I reading you wrong?

By the way, did you paint those "6's" on the sheep to note point of focus? I would have opted for a small black "x"

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by D&A View Post
    Tim, I really like the "look" of that last posted image (B&W). Doesn't sound like you're all too thrilled with the A600 in terms of handling. Am I reading you wrong?

By the way, did you paint those "6's" on the sheep to note point of focus? I would have opted for a small black "x"

Dave (D&A)
    Lol! No need to paint the numbers, they are how the lambs recognise their mothers ;-)

The A6000 is just fine and will make a great camera for a lot of people. My take on it, however, FWIW is that if you're going to carry it you might as well an A7 or R and get the better IQ, assuming you have or can afford the FE mount lenses.

I wanted to try it out of curiosity after all the AF claims and the videos that people were posting from preview models of it having lightening fast performance. The truth as far as I can see is that it is very very fast but so what? The A7/R are fast enough for me and so the advantage I wanted was in tracking, and try as I might I can't make it track particularly well. I'm sure it is very good for the class (I wouldn't really know) but for anyone hoping to use it to make up for A7/R deficiencies for sport or fast moving kids'n'pets... good luck with that....

I was thinking of keeping it maybe for the extra range it gives the new 70-200. On the one hand, the pixels are about the same size as those of the A7R so actually there's no advantage over a cropped frame from that camera. On the other hand, it has an EFC and seems less prone to shutter blur. For me it's so marginal that it'll probably go back.

I count all this as a failure of my hopes (I can't call them expectations) rather than a weakness in the camera.

EDIT: some other thoughts:

* It seems not to be a great pairing with the 24-70 F4. Not bad, just sometimes seems a less than you might expect. But the 55 1.8 really sings on it.

* I don't like it for ISO above about 800

* The RAW files look quite digital and seem prone to what may be compression artefacts. Not sure.

* The DR seems a little lower than the A7R. Again, not sure, someone will test it soon but I seem to find more scenes that are beyond it and which are slightly blown at both ends of the histo.
    Last edited by tashley; 30th March 2014 at 14:55.
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Tim,

Good Stuff! I had hopes that possibly the A6000 combined with a A7(r) might ultimately supplant my Nikon system (although not sure if anything could also have me replace my rangefinder, simply due to joy of personal use). The a7(r) alone can't quite do it for some of the things I shoot along with the shots I'm required to get. Therefore along with the A7(r), I would require a body that not only has fast AF and lock-on acquisition, but track with some of the upper echelon Nikon bodies, along with use of some longer lenses. Sounds like the A6000 might fall short with the Af-tracking capability.

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like

Put it this way, and this is from memory rather than direct scientific comparison which would in any event be hard to do, but I think my 5DII tracked better despite having so few points and my D800 also did, as long as you tracked from left to right ;-)

So I can't see the A6000 matching the upper mid range cameras as far as tracking performance let alone the 1Dx D4/s class. Its focus acquisition speed is extremely fast but its tracking is like a naughty dog, it keeps losing interest in what you want it to look at and sniffing around something else....

All those preview videos I saw of tiny focus squares flickering at incredible speed seem to have been made with Wide Area mode and not tracking mode as far as I can see. Fine: if you want the camera to decide what the subject is, then it is very quick indeed!

I really want to double check this with some other users so I can see if I am missing something.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Tim, how loud is the shutter? Is there a "silent mode" option like the Pannys have?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    Its focus acquisition speed is extremely fast but its tracking is like a naughty dog, it keeps losing interest in what you want it to look at and sniffing around something else....
    Priceless!

Thanks for sharing these images and thoughts, Tim.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Put it this way, and this is from memory rather than direct scientific comparison which would in any event be hard to do, but I think my 5DII tracked better despite having so few points and my D800 also did, as long as you tracked from left to right ;-)

So I can't see the A6000 matching the upper mid range cameras as far as tracking performance let alone the 1Dx D4/s class. Its focus acquisition speed is extremely fast but its tracking is like a naughty dog, it keeps losing interest in what you want it to look at and sniffing around something else....

All those preview videos I saw of tiny focus squares flickering at incredible speed seem to have been made with Wide Area mode and not tracking mode as far as I can see. Fine: if you want the camera to decide what the subject is, then it is very quick indeed!

I really want to double check this with some other users so I can see if I am missing something.

Thanks Tim. If you still have your E-M1 and lenses I would be interested how the A6000 compares with regards to tracking.

To compare tracking performance of E-M5 and E-M1 I used the 75-300 II lens at 300 mm. I first focused on the text of a hummingbird feeder bottle, indicated by a yellow wire frame in the viewfinder, and then rocked the cameras back and forth. Whereas the E-M5 easily lost the tracked object, the E-M1 in contrast did quite well in keeping focus on the tracked object. I think comparing the tracking ability of the A6000 with another camera could offer a new insight.
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like

@K-H, I'm afraid the E-M1 is long gone but I would put their tracking in the same loose league - not enough for my occasional needs. Honestly, I'd rather do it the old way, using pre-focus, than use a tracking system that too often doesn't quite keep up. So I can't do a comparison :-(

@ Peter - thanks!

@ Nostatic, I don't think there is but I am no longer inclined to experiment because I think the camera is going back. It would be a really nice camera if I didn't already have better alternatives overall. But the shutter is fairly quiet and is very quick. On top of extremely fast focus, there is what seems to be very little shutter lag but then I have been shooting exclusively with the A7R these last few weeks and anything seems lag-free by comparison. Luckily that rarely matters for my style of shooting... I just get used to anticipating things and pressing the shutter too early!

Post Thanks / Like

@K-H, I'm afraid the E-M1 is long gone but I would put their tracking in the same loose league - not enough for my occasional needs. Honestly, I'd rather do it the old way, using pre-focus, than use a tracking system that too often doesn't quite keep up. So I can't do a comparison :-(

@ Peter - thanks!

@ Nostatic, I don't think there is but I am no longer inclined to experiment because I think the camera is going back. It would be a really nice camera if I didn't already have better alternatives overall. But the shutter is fairly quiet and is very quick. On top of extremely fast focus, there is what seems to be very little shutter lag but then I have been shooting exclusively with the A7R these last few weeks and anything seems lag-free by comparison. Luckily that rarely matters for my style of shooting... I just get used to anticipating things and pressing the shutter too early!

Tim:
    I guess you aren't interested in interior work with it but by any chance did you notice if it had very good AF in low light conditions? I'm interested in something that augments my other camera at occasions and parties. A7R is okay but if the A6000 was really fast and accurate I could deal with the higher noise level.
    Regards,
    John

Post Thanks / Like

John, I just tried it and made a very rough comparison to the A7R in a late evening sitting room lit by a mix of incandescent lights, about the same light level you might find at a wedding reception. To me it feels a little bit faster than the A7R, but only a little, and they are both a bit 'hunty'.

Post Thanks / Like

John, I just tried it and made a very rough comparison to the A7R in a late evening sitting room lit by a mix of incandescent lights, about the same light level you might find at a wedding reception. To me it feels a little bit faster than the A7R, but only a little, and they are both a bit 'hunty'.
    Thanks Tim:

That's exactly what I wanted to know.

Regards,
    John

Post Thanks / Like

Update: the camera has gone back. I only wanted it for tracking situations and, fast and sure though its AF is, it can't track the sorts of subjects I sometimes want to shoot as well as I'd like. Otherwise it seems like a great camera but honestly, it is to all practical intents and purposes the same ballpark size and weight as the A7 and R and I'd rather carry one of those cameras...

Post Thanks / Like

Updating this with another data point. I had cancelled my preorder with B&H but did so when they were closed. My plea was ignored, and the a6000 kit shipped as soon as they opened. I decided to give it a quick whirl, and it ended up very quick - all of 5 minutes.

Short story - it is not a small camera. The A7 isn't that much bigger. The shutter also is louder than the A7 I think. If you turn off the EFC it gets into A7r territory, though not quite as loud. The power zoom - uggh. Just say no. AF was snappy, but frankly I can't really complain about the A7.

So I'm with Tim - no reason to carry the a6000 imho. The iq of the A7 is superior, as is the handling imho. Really no upside. From the pics the a6000 looks like a smaller cam that it is. By contrast the A7 looks bigger than it is.

Oh well, saved me $800. Huzzah (for once)!

Post Thanks / Like

Somebody had to do it.

I have no personal interest in the A6000, but love this picture you made with it. Wonderful!
    www.douglaswoodphotography.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, I'll be a contrarian to all the negative reports.

I picked up the body only to use as an effective tele extender for my E and A mount glass as well as a solid wide platform with the Touit 12mm. No complaints at all so far and I was able to figure out the AF tracking settings alright, although Sony does their best to bury them.

So far I've shot a concert with the 55/1.8 and Touit - I can't post photos here due to a usage agreement but you can see some at this link: The National take Austin by storm with 3 sold-out shows - CultureMap Austin

I also tried out the tracking at my son's lacrosse game with the LAEA-4 and Minolta 200/2.8 APO making for a 300/2.8 effective combo. Very cool. Not sure if the adapter works as well as with native e-mount lenses but I did nail a few action series without any issue. Will post some tomorrow...

The shutter is much more discreet than the A7 - more of a "shhhhtick" sound - although I won't be replacing the A7 anytime soon. I've settled into using the A7 for the 28mm-55mm range, and supplementing with the A6000 and A900 for wide and tele.

At $650 the A6000 is just too good to not have in a bag alongside the A7 - it doubles FOV options while taking up very little space. I'm really enjoying the 55/1.8 on the A6000 as it makes for a nice, super sharp and relatively compact fast 85mm.

Build quality is fine for a camera in this price range. I recently had to use a Canon 7D (don't ask) and was revolted at how cheap and poorly designed that camera is. I'd take the A6000 over it any day.
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Show Performance, your shots look awesome.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Show Performance View Post
    Well, I'll be a contrarian to all the negative reports.

I picked up the body only to use as an effective tele extender for my E and A mount glass as well as a solid wide platform with the Touit 12mm. No complaints at all so far and I was able to figure out the AF tracking settings alright, although Sony does their best to bury them.

So far I've shot a concert with the 55/1.8 and Touit - I can't post photos here due to a usage agreement but you can see some at this link: The National take Austin by storm with 3 sold-out shows - CultureMap Austin

I also tried out the tracking at my son's lacrosse game with the LAEA-4 and Minolta 200/2.8 APO making for a 300/2.8 effective combo. Very cool. Not sure if the adapter works as well as with native e-mount lenses but I did nail a few action series without any issue. Will post some tomorrow...

The shutter is much more discreet than the A7 - more of a "shhhhtick" sound - although I won't be replacing the A7 anytime soon. I've settled into using the A7 for the 28mm-55mm range, and supplementing with the A6000 and A900 for wide and tele.

At $650 the A6000 is just too good to not have in a bag alongside the A7 - it doubles FOV options while taking up very little space. I'm really enjoying the 55/1.8 on the A6000 as it makes for a nice, super sharp and relatively compact fast 85mm.

Build quality is fine for a camera in this price range. I recently had to use a Canon 7D (don't ask) and was revolted at how cheap and poorly designed that camera is. I'd take the A6000 over it any day.
    Nice work, Chad.
    -Cindy
    www.cindyflood.com
    www.flickr.com/cindyflood

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, Chad's work is stellar.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tim/Chad thank you for these insights. How was the EVF by the way - notice any clear difference from the Nex6/A7/r?
    Thanks
    David

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks all. To clarify, not all the shots in that link were A6000 - some were A7 and A900.

In reference to the EVF, I honestly haven't paid too close attention or noticed much of a difference so I guess that says something. I'll take a closer look and report back.

One thing I did notice is that with the A7 EVF in standard mode (not high quality), I see more moire or edge shimmer than I do with the A6000. I actually mark that as a positive in favor of the A7 as the moire is the perfect MF assist. I end up having to focus magnify on the A6000 due to a less pronounced shimmer.

Chad

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sorry to clog up the stream here but I had promised a series of images illustrating positive AF tracking on the A6000 with the LAEA-4 and Minolta 200/2.8 APO. This series took just under 2 seconds and I did not lay on the shutter so there were two distinct shutter activations - you can see the small break after image #3.

All images were at 2.8 and he scored

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Great shots... Been debating this camera for my girlfriend for her birthday. Seems like a potentially great one for her plus I have all the other great FE mount lenses.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Somebody had to do it.

Evidently you didn't have enough fun, but that doesn't detract from the fact that these two photos are delightful.
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm really tempted to get one of these. Here's my mental debate if I get one than its three different lens combinations. A, E and FE. Just getting confusing as heck. The new A77 makes more sense as it has a vertical grip though. That I need for shows.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Chad, you taking your new toy to the Austin Psych Festival this weekend?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy, I have the same internal debates. At the end of the day, considering the percentage of time I need a high FPS AF tracking camera (not very much), I went with the A6000, due to its size. I can slip the A6000 into my small Domke and it takes up no more space than a lens. Clearly, the A77II will be the proper camera for the job though.

Mikal, I was actually scheduled to be on the Psych Fest's photo team but ended up having a conflict so am sitting this one out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yea I will probably sell my A7 and get the A77. This is one reason I have been collecting A glass. Right now in A I have the 20, sigma 35 1.4, 85 and 135. Or maybe better yet rent the A77 for my show stuff. Have weigh this out since I have the 55 FE and I have a Zeiss 25 canon mount. Maybe need to look for a Canon to Sony A adapter .

Seriously this has been my concern coming back to Sony is these mounts. I'm not triple buying glass
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Or sell the A7 get the A6000 till the A7s comes out. This way I get full use of all my lenses and having a 190mm 1.8 would be special. Reality is I can get the A6000 and 16-70 for 1300 which is pretty much what I'll get for the A7 or even better get a Zeiss tuoit 12mm for a couple bucks more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ok, things with me is very confusing and sometimes i am lost on my buy.

I bought A7R to use it for landscapes and architecture or even cityscape because of higher mp, i tested once with my TS and loved it, so i am done with it, but now my concern with Sony cameras is about AF.

I am going to sell my Canon 1D MarkIIn very soon, then i was thinking to buy another camera that is fast so it can be a backup for my 1DX, 1D3 is the backup but this may go away later as someone asked me to buy and i am waiting his confirmation, and i want to buy only new body and not used, so Canon 1D4 is out of my equation.

Now Sony produced A6000, it has 24mp and 11fps, so if i only consider those 2 features then this will beat my 1D3 and 1D2n or even my 1DX for sports, it is a crop body so i may not crop much and still have enough mp to play with, not sure about the high ISO but mostly i don't shoot higher than 6400, so i will not worry how good Sony high ISO compared to Canon new DSLRs, but the only thing i am very much worried about Sony cameras compared to Canon 1 series cameras is the AF speed.

So, how good is this camera A6000 AF speed with or without adapter? I may think to buy say Sony native lens FE 70-200 so i don't need to use an adapter, how good AF of this camera with native lens and using say 11fps?

And now Sony also announced about A77-II, the specification is almost same this A6000 but i see that A77-II is better, so i may ignore A6000 and go with A77-II, but with both cameras, how the AF speed is? I will wait about A77II review about AF speed, and also will keep watching this A6000 reviews, i will not buy any of both cameras for travel or landscapes or portraits, only i care about sports/wildlife/action/....etc, say fast moving subjects photography.
    Tareq

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: Fun with A6000

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Yea I will probably sell my A7 and get the A77.
    A77? Hmmm ... hot off the press from the totally awesome one:

"I wouldn't buy one of these Sonys, I'd step up to a real Canon or Nikon DSLR for better color rendition, higher real speeds and better overall handing, for less money. Honest, I greatly prefer the less expensive Canon SL1 or Nikon D3300 over any of the Sonys. The Sonys are flashy and loaded with foolish features, while real cameras are better at doing what we really need them to do: just take the picture and Nikon's and Canon's 18-55mm lenses are much better then the Sony equivalents." KR

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Looks like there is a lot on people's minds.

It is the double edge sony sword - lots of options = too many options

I happened to be at Precision Camera today when they got an FE 70-200 in. I had my A6000 with me and we pulled an A7 off the display. I'll cut to the chase and say I was VERY impressed with AF speeds on both cameras, although it was practically instant on the A6000. This was inside the store, so not ideal light. Really cool.

The built quality looks to be Identical to the 70-200/2.8 A-mount lens, so very nice, and the lens felt great in hand on both bodies.

I'm not a zoom guy and I have the Minolta 200/2.8 APO so that takes care of most my needs - and if I want more reach I adapt it on the A6000 - BUT the FE 70-200 is tempting. Admittedly, I didn't have enough time with it to do any kind of IQ evaluation but I have a hard time believing the results won't be stellar.

Quote Originally Posted by Professional View Post
    Ok, things with me is very confusing and sometimes i am lost on my buy.

I bought A7R to use it for landscapes and architecture or even cityscape because of higher mp, i tested once with my TS and loved it, so i am done with it, but now my concern with Sony cameras is about AF.

I am going to sell my Canon 1D MarkIIn very soon, then i was thinking to buy another camera that is fast so it can be a backup for my 1DX, 1D3 is the backup but this may go away later as someone asked me to buy and i am waiting his confirmation, and i want to buy only new body and not used, so Canon 1D4 is out of my equation.

Now Sony produced A6000, it has 24mp and 11fps, so if i only consider those 2 features then this will beat my 1D3 and 1D2n or even my 1DX for sports, it is a crop body so i may not crop much and still have enough mp to play with, not sure about the high ISO but mostly i don't shoot higher than 6400, so i will not worry how good Sony high ISO compared to Canon new DSLRs, but the only thing i am very much worried about Sony cameras compared to Canon 1 series cameras is the AF speed.

So, how good is this camera A6000 AF speed with or without adapter? I may think to buy say Sony native lens FE 70-200 so i don't need to use an adapter, how good AF of this camera with native lens and using say 11fps?

And now Sony also announced about A77-II, the specification is almost same this A6000 but i see that A77-II is better, so i may ignore A6000 and go with A77-II, but with both cameras, how the AF speed is? I will wait about A77II review about AF speed, and also will keep watching this A6000 reviews, i will not buy any of both cameras for travel or landscapes or portraits, only i care about sports/wildlife/action/....etc, say fast moving subjects photography.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

^^^ I see, i can wait more reviews.

Also i feel i want to go with A77-II over A6000, I am not in rush for any of those cameras yet, i am sure within 4-6 months from now i can see more impressions from people about A6000 until Sony release A77-II and again waiting for that camera reviews, I can buy both because A6000 is cheap, but i don't want to end up using one and ignoring the other completely, i better buy A7s with one of those cameras than getting A6000 and A77-II, but i always can wait.

I have Canon 300 2.8IS, i don't know if this will be fast enough on Sony with adapter, if it will be as fast as this lens on Canon body with extender then i am in, if not then it will be pointless or useless to buy this camera for sports and i suffer with AF speed on players moving actions.
    Tareq

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Professional View Post
    ^^^ I see, i can wait more reviews.

Also i feel i want to go with A77-II over A6000, I am not in rush for any of those cameras yet, i am sure within 4-6 months from now i can see more impressions from people about A6000 until Sony release A77-II and again waiting for that camera reviews, I can buy both because A6000 is cheap, but i don't want to end up using one and ignoring the other completely, i better buy A7s with one of those cameras than getting A6000 and A77-II, but i always can wait.

I have Canon 300 2.8IS, i don't know if this will be fast enough on Sony with adapter, if it will be as fast as this lens on Canon body with extender then i am in, if not then it will be pointless or useless to buy this camera for sports and i suffer with AF speed on players moving actions.
    The Metabones EOS->FE adapter is very slow. Unless you are using old techniques like prefocusing, you won't be able to use AF for sports with that adapter. And even when you get an AF confirmation it isn't always in focus. I think that other adapters are even worth (at least for the moment). It is OK for landscape and slow photography, but not for action or sport. Not even for street photography IMO. Certainly not for kid photography either.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well just rented it for the weekend . Have a small runway shoot. Like to try the 135 1.8 with it and see how it tracks over the A7. I'm thinking for PR type work like this I will keep the A7r at home, it's just a little too slow . I had too switch from the A7r yesterday to the A7 quickly shooting some podium work, the shutter lag I had a little trouble with on the A7r which is fine for most work. Just here it does not play as well. I'm thinking if the A6000 is a good backup and second body to the A7 it would be a better choice for this kind of work. Having a 135 1.8 at 190 1.8 at full 24mpx instead of a cropped A7 image would be better too. Which is what I have been doing. So a APS cam on hand is truly a help. If it don't work out than I will jump on a A77ii exactly for this. Having a 70-200 F4 is going to be a bit too slow,plus the 135 is killer good even wide open. I don't go over ISO 1600. So this is a good test for me. BTW with shipping from lensrentals and fees for 4 days its 64 dollars which is cheap to try before you buy. I will try and run some tests too over the weekend. Might be one heck of a travel cam too.

Post Thanks / Like

Chad thanks for the lacrosse series, the crispy grass shows the focal area really well so we can see what's happening.
    Tell me about that lens?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The lens is a beauty. Minolta 200mm f/2.8 High Speed APO. Built like a tank with an integrated metal hood and focus lock button as well as a metal "shield" ring that can be slid over the manual focus ring when in AF mode.

I got this one mint from Japan with the original caps and nice padded Minolta hard case. Cost for a nice one is about $900-$1000 which I think is a steal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Show Performance View Post
    The lens is a beauty. Minolta 200mm f/2.8 High Speed APO. Built like a tank with an integrated metal hood and focus lock button as well as a metal "shield" ring that can be slid over the manual focus ring when in AF mode.

I got this one mint from Japan with the original caps and nice padded Minolta hard case. Cost for a nice one is about $900-$1000 which I think is a steal.
    You need to keep this secret quiet. LOL

Fabulous lens want to buy it again

Seriously though just be aware the paint does chip off this lens and its pretty normal so looking for one in prime paint condition maybe tough. For me i don't care as i don't collect glass but use it so most of them will be user condition.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    You need to keep this secret quiet. LOL

Fabulous lens want to buy it again

Seriously though just be aware the paint does chip off this lens and its pretty normal so looking for one in prime paint condition maybe tough. For me i don't care as i don't collect glass but use it so most of them will be user condition.

Yes, they were pretty much the height of 1987 lens technology and build quality. I also like the fact that there is no IS to fail over time so it should give many years of service. My Canon 70-200 went to the shop twice during my ownership and most my friends that shoot it have had similar issues.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Bringing back the Osprey. A nesting platform on the south end of Cayuga Lake in central NY. There was a nesting pair of birds in residence, but they were preoccupied when this shot was taken.

A6000+PZ 16-50

Carl
    Gallery

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

A6000+Rhinocam+Mamiya 55mm f/2.8 N. A 150 MP 8 image shot cropped 1:1 and resized.

Full size original image
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

Sony A6000 + Samyang 85mm 1.4

Mallorca, Spain, HDR with Snapseed on Ipad
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Hasselblad 80mm f/2.8+Rhinocam on A6000.

Original

Original

Pentax-A 645 SMC 45mm f/2.8

Original
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

They indeed posses the clarity of medium format.
    I ordered yesterday a A6000 and I also have 3 CF glasses in the drawer. You are making me whirl. lol!
    Please show more. Or should I say: Stop!
    Eduardo

[QUOTE=scho;583607]Hasselblad 80mm f/2.8+Rhinocam on A6000.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Uaiomex;583610]They indeed posses the clarity of medium format.
    I ordered yesterday a A6000 and I also have 3 CF glasses in the drawer. You are making me whirl. lol!
    Eduardo

Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    Hasselblad 80mm f/2.8+Rhinocam on A6000.
    If you already have some old MF glass from film days, then this is a fun way to put the lenses back to work again. Takes some patience to develop a work flow, but may be worth the effort if you want to print very large. I'm still trying to work around some issues with color vignetting when shooting 4x2 in portrait orientation, but otherwise no other major problems.
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your posts, Carl.
    What have you found to be the highest useable iso that allows for good sized enlargements?

I've been shooting with a Sony A77 for the past two years and though DXO claims 801 iso for the high iso limit... I've found that even slightly underexposed 400 iso has color noise that kills fine feather detail of birds. (I have Topaz DeNoise and Nik Dfine and know how to optimize their use). If exposed properly at 400 iso, the A77 sensor is OK, but 800 would never work for me. I've also removed the SLT mirror as all of my birding work is done with long Leica APO glass that is manual focus... so the SLT mirror serves no purpose and there is no light loss with it's removal.

Since the A77II will have the same sensor as the A6000, I'm under the impression that it will be fine at around 600 iso but marginal beyond that. DXO claims 2/3 stop improved high iso range... which is not enough for me to consider an upgrade, apart from the improved EVF that would make manual focus with my Leica glass easier.

Thanks for any thoughts you might have on high iso with the A6000.
    Lawrence

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by apocolibri View Post
    Thanks for your posts, Carl.
    What have you found to be the highest useable iso that allows for good sized enlargements?

I've been shooting with a Sony A77 for the past two years and though DXO claims 801 iso for the high iso limit... I've found that even slightly underexposed 400 iso has color noise that kills fine feather detail of birds. (I have Topaz DeNoise and Nik Dfine and know how to optimize their use). If exposed properly at 400 iso, the A77 sensor is OK, but 800 would never work for me. I've also removed the SLT mirror as all of my birding work is done with long Leica APO glass that is manual focus... so the SLT mirror serves no purpose and there is no light loss with it's removal.

Since the A77II will have the same sensor as the A6000, I'm under the impression that it will be fine at around 600 iso but marginal beyond that. DXO claims 2/3 stop improved high iso range... which is not enough for me to consider an upgrade, apart from the improved EVF that would make manual focus with my Leica glass easier.

Thanks for any thoughts you might have on high iso with the A6000.
    Lawrence
    Hi Lawrence,

I've only had the A6000 a short while and have been using it primarily at ISO 100 on a tripod so I don't know yet about high ISO performance. I'll try some high ISO shots and see what the noise is like.
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

It doesn't scare me. I was a field 4x5 shooter in the film days and tinkered with one or two big negative/chrome contraptions of my own. It was a lot of fun. That's why the Rhino looks interesting to me.
    Eduardo

[QUOTE=scho;583615]
    Quote Originally Posted by Uaiomex View Post
    They indeed posses the clarity of medium format.
    Eduardo

If you already have some old MF glass from film days, then this is a fun way to put the lenses back to work again. Takes some patience to develop a work flow, but may be worth the effort if you want to print very large. I'm still trying to work around some issues with color vignetting when shooting 4x2 in portrait orientation, but otherwise no other major problems.

Post Thanks / Like

A6000 + Samyang 85mm 1.4, SW converted with Snapseed

Post Thanks / Like

I've been happily using a NEX6 for about a year and decided to buy an a6000. It's an excellent upgrade, does delicious black and white and if needed I can crop back to NEX 6 size and still get similar quality as before. With manual lenses the focus assistance is even better. The menu system is naturally more logical and takes little to get up to speed coming from a family member.