The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Is the A7 better than the A7R at the edges with wides?

jonoslack

Well, i have Canon DSLR lenses already so later will buy an adapter to use those, also i have Hasselblad manual lenses of 500 series, not sure if there is an adapter for those.

But, why you chose those 2 lenses of 50 and 24-70 as first choices? why not 35 and 16-35, or 50 and 70-200?
Hi There
Sorry, I should have said 55 f1.8 not 50.

Well, not the 35 because it doesn't seem to be so perfect
the 16-35 is an A mount lens - you'll need a big adapter and it rather destroys the point
70-200 is the same (A mount) - later on in the year there will be an f4 version, but not yet (and it's white).

There are only 4 Native FE mount lenses available now
28-70 kit lens (decent on A7 if you get a good copy)
24-70 f4 - idiosyncratic but finally satisfying
35 f2.8 - not bad, but not great either
55 f1.8 - stunning quality

all the best

Professional

Hi There
Sorry, I should have said 55 f1.8 not 50.

Well, not the 35 because it doesn't seem to be so perfect
the 16-35 is an A mount lens - you'll need a big adapter and it rather destroys the point
70-200 is the same (A mount) - later on in the year there will be an f4 version, but not yet (and it's white).

There are only 4 Native FE mount lenses available now
28-70 kit lens (decent on A7 if you get a good copy)
24-70 f4 - idiosyncratic but finally satisfying
35 f2.8 - not bad, but not great either
55 f1.8 - stunning quality

all the best
I see

honestly, i feel i want to start with that 55 f1.8 and then add more according to the needs, i may buy the adapter for Canon so then it may help me to be wisely on choosing Native lenses for Sony A7 series

Ben Rubinstein

This is an interesting point. I need an UWA lens for my A7r. I had been thinking of the 18mm Zeiss but all my data on the corners is from viewing the RAW images Guy so helpfully provided, they were shot on a D800e. I had assumed that given the same sensor I could successfully extrapolate what it would look like on the A7r. With the microlenses I may however be setting myself up for disappointment. What do you all think of that?

jonoslack

This is an interesting point. I need an UWA lens for my A7r. I had been thinking of the 18mm Zeiss but all my data on the corners is from viewing the RAW images Guy so helpfully provided, they were shot on a D800e. I had assumed that given the same sensor I could successfully extrapolate what it would look like on the A7r. With the microlenses I may however be setting myself up for disappointment. What do you all think of that?
I Think you may be setting yourself up for disappointment. :D:eek:
On the other hand it may be wonderful . . . .

Ben Rubinstein

Wish there was an easy answer it's a lot of mullah to part with on a single prime. Suppose it would help if I lived somewhere were I could try it. Dirt cheap to rent from Lensrentals, you guys in the states are lucky!

Godfrey

You might want to look at the Nikkor 18mm f/3.5 AI-S.

I don't know why people I've mentioned it to seem to have a chip on their shoulder about this lens ... The testing and shooting I did with it show it to be an excellent performer on the A7. Corners and edges are very very good IMO, and rectilinear distortion is both simple and minimal. And they're not particularly expensive.

G

f 10

I can't speak for the a7, but this shot is from the a7r and 12 mm Voigtlander - they don't come much wider. The purpose was to look for colour casts. There were lots, so I'm using P1's LCC to correct and it works very well. I chose the ice because any errant colour would show up easily.

Other shots show perfectly satisfactory edge and corner detail; perhaps it would be better on the a7, but what I'm getting with the a7r is fine for my purposes.

Georgian Bay is completely frozen from shore to shore!

Bill
Bill,

your example is nearly perfect.
An even better result you get when you use to first the Lens Compensation app and then make your own LCC in C1. The correction in C1 is not as fast at the limit.

Try it out, you'll be amazed.

Ben Rubinstein

You might want to look at the Nikkor 18mm f/3.5 AI-S.

I don't know why people I've mentioned it to seem to have a chip on their shoulder about this lens ... The testing and shooting I did with it show it to be an excellent performer on the A7. Corners and edges are very very good IMO, and rectilinear distortion is both simple and minimal. And they're not particularly expensive.

G
You got it on A7 or A7r Godfrey?

Thing is, if a Zeiss might not be good enough, an old Nikkor, hmm. I tried the Oly 21mm MC, brand new, never used. To be honest, didn't come close. The older lens designs just don't seem to have it and even the best of the modern, Zeiss are questionable.

Godfrey

You got it on A7 or A7r Godfrey?

Thing is, if a Zeiss might not be good enough, an old Nikkor, hmm. I tried the Oly 21mm MC, brand new, never used. To be honest, didn't come close. The older lens designs just don't seem to have it and even the best of the modern, Zeiss are questionable.
I have the A7, not r. But I wouldn't discount the lens as an "old Nikkor". Some of these Nikkor lenses are exceptional quality. Zeiss and Leica aren't the only companies with good optical designers. :)

This 18mm has CRC and is amazingly crisp and easy to focus, even compared to the Elmarit-R 19 series 1. At average prices in the 450-650$ range for a good one, it's worth a try.

Nikkor 18mm f/3.5s Super wideangle Lens

G

Ben Rubinstein

Could I be cheeky and ask you if you have any A7 raw files shot with the lens, preferably at f5.6-8?

Another thought is the super cheap Canon FD 20mm. Though and I know this may sound ridiculous but I really would like a lens that focuses the way I'm used to on the Pentax's, the Nikon way. Having the focus and aperture ring turn the other way on the Olympus drove me rather nuts. Lenses turning different ways on the same camera is rather confusing.

Last edited:

Professional

Why not that Samyang/Rokinon 14mm? it is a cheap lens, manual, and many like it on their Canon/Nikon full frame bodies, so maybe it will be great on Sony full frame too.

Ben Rubinstein

Guy very nicely provided a bunch of raw test files a while back from the Samyang 14mm. The corners are pretty smeary and that's on a D800e.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I bought the 14mm again in the Sony A mount. Looks like I have a restaurant to shoot this weekend so I will use it for some of those shots. Mine is the Rokinion brand name although all the same lens

Professional

Wish if i have 14mm then i can provide RAW files as well, still didn't decide on which ultra WA lens myself, mostly i am thinking about Canon TS 17mm in the future, but i may go with 14mm first in near future.

Ben Rubinstein

409 told me everything I needed to know. Sorry but that's worse than my Oly was. Severe smearing in the corners. 409 shows that the edges go as well. Many thanks for that, really useful!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I also ordered early this morning the Sigma 35mm 1.4 in a Sony A mount . So now 4 lenses in the A mount. 14,35,85 and 135. I'm playing it safe with A mount lenses right now as I'm just not sure what Sony has up its sleeve so this covers me for a A mount cam and still use it on the A7/A7r cams. Going to order for the A7 the kit lens again or a used Tamron 28-75 in A mount. Just trying to figure out what maybe better. A cheap zoom is all I need right now and I sent the 24-70 F4 packing back to Amazon. I even thought of the Canon 17-40 F4

Ben Rubinstein

You're an R shooter aren't you Godfrey? Do you have the 19mm? Not that I can afford it but would be interested to see what it can do on the Sony.