The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Is the A7 better than the A7R at the edges with wides?

Ben Rubinstein

I also ordered early this morning the Sigma 35mm 1.4 in a Sony A mount . So now 4 lenses in the A mount. 14,35,85 and 135. I'm playing it safe with A mount lenses right now as I'm just not sure what Sony has up its sleeve so this covers me for a A mount cam and still use it on the A7/A7r cams. Going to order for the A7 the kit lens again or a used Tamron 28-75 in A mount. Just trying to figure out what maybe better. A cheap zoom is all I need right now and I sent the 24-70 F4 packing back to Amazon. I even thought of the Canon 17-40 F4
That the art version of the Sigma? I used ours today in the studio for the first time on a D800e. Wow but it's sharp and contrasty!

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
You're an R shooter aren't you Godfrey? Do you have the 19mm? Not that I can afford it but would be interested to see what it can do on the Sony.
I have the Elmarit-R 19/2,8 V2 and it's works well on the A7r although it does have some vignetting even when stepping down. But I increasing felt that for A7r, it's best to use the native lenses. I hope Sony/Zeiss will come up some wide angle prime soon.

jonoslack

I have the Elmarit-R 19/2,8 V2 and it's works well on the A7r although it does have some vignetting even when stepping down. But I increasing felt that for A7r, it's best to use the native lenses. I hope Sony/Zeiss will come up some wide angle prime soon.
I quite agree
You can get fine results from other lenses, but it's always hedged around with compromises.

Godfrey

409 told me everything I needed to know. Sorry but that's worse than my Oly was. Severe smearing in the corners. 409 shows that the edges go as well. Many thanks for that, really useful!
Glad to help, although I see more blur than smear there. The Nokton 40mm lens image smears IMO. But if your Olympus lens produced even better results, I'd just get another one of those.

You're an R shooter aren't you Godfrey? Do you have the 19mm? Not that I can afford it but would be interested to see what it can do on the Sony.
I'm not sure what an R shooter is in this context, but I have a bunch of Leica R lenses for the A7. Terminology gets confusing when we're talking about A7/A7r/Leica R all in the same context ... ;-)

IMO, the Elmarit-R 19mm series 1 does not perform as well as the Nikkor 18mm in the corners. The series 2 lens should be better, at double to triple the price; it has CRC quite similar to the Nikkor. The series one does produce lovely results on subjects where rectilinar correction and corner performance isn't as critical.

I don't have any full-rez photos posted from the Elmarit-R 19, but I do have a few normal web-rez images:
https://www.flickr.com/search/?text=Elmarit-R 19mm&sort=relevance&safe_search=1&user_id=23913128@N02

G

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
That the art version of the Sigma? I used ours today in the studio for the first time on a D800e. Wow but it's sharp and contrasty!
It's the Art series. Sharp amazingly so. Rated the sharpest 1.4 35 around. I don't find it too contrasty though but even so that's a real easy fix and the A7r IMHO has better DR over the D800e.

dwood

Regarding the Samyang/Rokinon 14, I have one that I messed with on my a99 and it's pretty darn good. Impressively sharp. It suffers from barrel distortion, but that can be dealt with in post.

On the somewhat amusing side, Roger C. from Lensrentals added this when describing the lens: "I will note, this is held together inside with plastic, glue, and small screws. You won’t be using it for years." Still, at only a few hundred bucks, not a terrible buy if one needs something on the ultra-wide side.

Ben Rubinstein

Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm hoping, oh apart from hoping that it's not bank breakingly expensive but of course it will be. If it's the same price as the 24-70 then I do have that much put away in the bank ready for it. What's left from selling all my canon gear.

Ben Rubinstein

Wasn't me asking for files of the 14mm Tim, Guy provided me with a bunch of raws a while back. I asked Godfrey if he had any Nikkor 18mm samples. Thanks anyway!

philip_pj

Sony really should release a high end FE prime 21-25mm. I hope the wide zoom was a rumour that will not come to fruition, the market and reviewers will pick it apart, you can already hear them: 'three zooms, where are the primes?'

People are hunting high and low for such a lens, ever since they saw the SEMs do not work and the DSLR wides force you into a large setup.

If they do not do so, Zeiss will need to make it a priority, if only to show the doubters it can be done! Zeiss might enjoy rising to the challenge..

jonoslack

Sony really should release a high end FE prime 21-25mm. I hope the wide zoom was a rumour that will not come to fruition, the market and reviewers will pick it apart, you can already hear them: 'three zooms, where are the primes?'
Hi There Philip
Mid range zooms are complicated and difficult to produce . . . but wide angle zooms are much easier.

In fact, as I understand it, you lose almost nothing from making your 16mm prime into a 14-24 zoom . . . . . Look at the universally lauded Nikon wide zoom.

philip_pj

I hope you are right, Jono...the 14-24 is a beauty and Canon have a lot of folks liking their later 16-35. I worry the Sony FE zoom might be biting off a bit too much in size and weight, but they have had a sure touch so far, so fingers crossed.

Thorkil

FE 16-35 f.4 OSS in spring/summer 2014
FE 35/1.4 autum 2014
FE 24/2.0 autum 2014
FE 21/2.8 spring 2015
if one can rely on that
who knows, perhaps they are worth waiting for
thorkil

dwood

FE 16-35 f.4 OSS in spring/summer 2014
FE 35/1.4 autum 2014
FE 24/2.0 autum 2014
FE 21/2.8 spring 2015
if one can rely on that
who knows, perhaps they are worth waiting for
thorkil
The A7S is supposed to be launched today at the NAB show in Las Vegas. There have been rumblings that Sony may also introduce some new FE glass at this show too. We shall see. It would be nice if some on your list arrived sooner than later.