Site Sponsors

Thread: Wired cable release for a7r?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wired cable release for a7r?

I'm looking at doing some long exposure work with the a7r, and am looking for cable release options...

I do not want a wireless remote for a variety of reasons.

But, I would like a good wired remote that has a timer built in if possible. Like this product (which does not appear to be compatible with the a7r):

HERE

Does anyone know what the compatibility is between the Alpha connectors and the Nex (Now Alpha? Hahaha) cameras? I need a little clarity in this if anyone has figured this out already.

Sony has a remote, but it does not include a timer at all. Just a dumb remote. Works fine, I'm sure, but not what I would prefer.

Thanks,

---Michael
    a7r, a7rII, FE 16-35, FE 24-70GM, FE 70-200, Loxia 21mm, 35mm, 50mm

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Wired cable release for a7r?

That will NOT work. You need a mini or macro mini whatever they call it USB
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

RM-VPR1

This is the correct part, and it comes with a Minolta/Alpha SLR type connector too:
    Remote Control with Multi Terminal Cable - RMVPR1 Review | Sony Store U.S. - Sony US
    Oops, I see you already knew about that. Not aware of any 3rd party options yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That is the one I use as well. Dang expensive though
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes, Guy, they changed the interface again...

What I have found is that it uses a special mini-USB connector that is exclusive to Sony. However there is information on-line to build an adapter plug using an adapter cable that you can purchase, and some parts from an electronics place (Radio Shack), and a bit of soldering.

The Sony adapter cable VMC-AVM1 mentioned is about $17 from Adorama.

That is the route I will go.

Here's a link to some information on how an adapter cable is made:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/psaovf36mc...eser-SLT58.pdf

With this, you can then use any timer that uses a 2.5mm mini audio jack for the connection.

Like this one (note the mini audio jack for the adapter cables):

Here

---Michael

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yea just like to see everyone make one just for the fact they take 3 dollars in parts and charge 69 bucks. It tends to piss me off. Thanks for posting the custom built cable. Hope folks will start making them.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought the a99 and a7 share the same port? There's plenty of timers for the a99.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

They do and actually the one posted above was for the A99

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That is the port that exists on the A99, but not on the a7.

I suspect that Sony figured everyone would use a wireless or wifi connection, but that is questionable for very long exposures. Not reliable enough, battery drain issues, etc.

---Michael

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think it will be long before an a7r wired timer is out, looks to be a simple cable swap.

Quote Originally Posted by mjm6 View Post
    That is the port that exists on the A99, but not on the a7.

I suspect that Sony figured everyone would use a wireless or wifi connection, but that is questionable for very long exposures. Not reliable enough, battery drain issues, etc.

---Michael

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm not sure about that...

The jack is proprietary, so it might be a bit of a hurdle to make one without getting sued by Sony.

I don't know, but I suspect otherwise, one would have been available in about a week! As you said, it is a simple adapter.

---Michael

Post Thanks / Like

The jack is proprietary, so it might be a bit of a hurdle to make one without getting sued by Sony.
    Not proprietary: It's a standard USB Micro B (not "Mini") connector. Now that someone's figured out the correct wiring, it should be pretty trivial to build an adapter cable. Kind of reminds me of the endless custom RS232 cables and video adapters I used to build.

Update:
    Never mind the adapter cable, the remote already exists, only it's listed here for the A3000 but this should do the trick for the A7 too:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm//221381880331?&item338b636a0b
    I just linked to the first instance that I found, maybe you guys can find a better price (but this one is located in the USA).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

4Season,

I had read they added a few contacts to the mini-USB connector to make it proprietary. If not, that is good news.

I'll look at the A3000 listings. What is interesting is that none of the other products available include the correct jack (and that includes a few products that have interchangeable jacks on them, and a raft of 6 or 8 different camera jacks).

---Michael

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think that product is mis-labelled. It doesn't appear that there are any other products out there that will work with the A3000, so it is the same problem for that camera.

I'm back to the adapter cable approach.

I'll order one up shortly.

---Michael

Post Thanks / Like

>>Not proprietary: It's a standard USB Micro B (not "Mini") connector. Now that someone's figured out the correct wiring, it should be pretty trivial to build an adapter cable. Kind of reminds me of the endless custom RS232 cables and video adapters I used to build.<<

I suggest you look at the remote connector before posting false information. The connector from Sony sure looks proprietary. Where do you find a mini Micro USB connector with 15 pins?

Post Thanks / Like

I stand corrected re the remote connector: It's extra-deep and engages an additional row of contacts. However, this port is also compatible with standard USB Micro-B for purposes of charging and data transfer.

This is the adapter cable used in the aforementioned how-to guide:
    A&#47;V R Adapter Cable - VMCAVM1 Review | Sony Store U.S. - Sony US

So yes, it's proprietary, but nevertheless hackable.
    Last edited by 4season; 10th April 2014 at 21:13.

Post Thanks / Like

The RM-VPR1 is $52.73 at

B&H:
    Sony RM-VPR1 Remote Control with Multi-terminal Cable RM-VPR1

and at Amazon:
    Amazon.com: Sony RM-VPR1 Remote Control with Multi-Terminal Cable (Black): Camera & Photo

Looks like Amazon has the better supply of stock as of this posting. Still high, but better than Sony's pricing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gatorine View Post
    The RM-VPR1 is $52.73 at

B&H:
    Sony RM-VPR1 Remote Control with Multi-terminal Cable RM-VPR1

and at Amazon:
    Amazon.com: Sony RM-VPR1 Remote Control with Multi-Terminal Cable (Black): Camera & Photo

Looks like Amazon has the better supply of stock as of this posting. Still high, but better than Sony's pricing.
    No built in timer on that one...

I want a timer, hence the original question.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No built in timer on that one...

I want a timer, hence the original question.
    I've got this adapter (expensive as heck, but one can build their own with instructions in dyxum)

https://www.gethypoxic.com/products....page.tpl&pop=0

DYI instructions in dyxum (I have parts to build one too but been too lazy so far as I have the $$$ adapter)

Remote control for A7 - Dyxum - Page 1

Combine adapter cable with one of these remotes and you got timers, exposures longer than 30 secs...

Wired LCD Timer Remote Control Shutter Release TC C1 for Canon 70D 700D 100D | eBay

Works perfectly on multi-minute exposures, delay timers, shutter button has half-press too for autofocusing.

Post Thanks / Like

@tn1krr
    Are you positive that the TC-C1 will work with the Hypoxic cable?

I am asking because I bought the Hypoxic hoping to reuse my cherished Phottix Nikos equipped with a C6 cable, but it didn't work at all :-(

Furthermore, it looks like the Hypoxic (or a similar cable) should work coupled with the Hahnel Giga T Pro II (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r63DdtY1S_A) - a great if expensive combo. Is there anyone who can confirm this?

I contacted Hahnel by the way, and they are working on a Giga T Pro II version for the A7/A7r; should be available late June.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Massimo View Post
    @tn1krr
    Are you positive that the TC-C1 will work with the Hypoxic cable?

I am asking because I bought the Hypoxic hoping to reuse my cherished Phottix Nikos equipped with a C6 cable, but it didn't work at all :-(
    I'm sure they work, I'm using them. I ordered from the links I listed above.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tn1krr View Post
    I'm sure they work, I'm using them. I ordered from the links I listed above.
    Thank you, I'll be ordering one right away!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bumping this thread as I got a new gadget last week as I was a bit unhappy with using a wired remote in a few situation; so I got myself a Canon version of Phottix Aion wireless release and I'm using that with Hypoxic cable on my A7R/A6000. IMO this combination is very good
    - very easy to use half-press for "AF before a shot". The wired remote (JYC TC-1) I got before had a tiny bit too sensitive shutter button so instead of half press I occasionally got a full press; with Aion no such issues. Wireless remote with half-press and face-detect is quite nice for taking group pictures where even the shooter is present without having to prefocus and shoot stopped down a lot
    - runs on AAA batteries so I can use my rechargeables (I hate having to stock 7 different CR XXXX batteries as spares) as I have a pile of AA and AAA
    - the bracketed long exposure the remote has (not sure if this is available wired versions there are, stopped using them) pretty much solves the limitation of in-built HDR in Sony cameras. Up to seven exposures can be done from -3 to +3, one stop gap. Camera is put on bulb mode and remote takes care of everything; math needs to be done by the user as one needs to input the fastest shutter speed.
    - the display even has signal strength indication (in addition to battery) so that I can check that I'm not near signal limit; I'd hate losing very long exposures due to loss of signal
    - I think this combo handily beats the IR remote (pile of features+half press and no effect on camera battery) and Remote App (again, no battery life effect on either phone or camera, no need to handle quirks of app in camera, some features that app does not have...)

The Aion is not the cheapest product at around $80-90, but it is very very solid one and the convenience of wireless combined with the usability and feature set is great. If I was able to start from the scratch I'd make the DIY Sony multi-interface to 2.5 mm cable and get the Aion to use with it; that is about $100 total; now I have the quite limited Sony Wired remote, expensive converter and pile of other stuff...
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I had a yongnuo wireless remote for my canons which was just a radio version of a regular wired remote, I miss it a lot. I see the Phottix Cleon does the same thing though for the life of me I can't work out where to by it (nothing on ebay is weird). What is that cable you used? This looks like what I've been waiting for.
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Massimo View Post
    Thank you, I'll be ordering one right away!
    Finally received a JYC TC-C1 from China, and connected it to my A7 via my Hypoxic cable; well, it doesn't work!

I am starting to suspect my multi-terminal is defective ... besides setting "Remote Ctrl" to "On" in the Menu, is there anything else I should check in order to make a wired remote work?

My cheap JYC wireless remote does/does not work though, according to the value of the "Remote Ctrl" option!

Post Thanks / Like

Wired timelapse / interval remote for Sony A7 & A7r on Vimeo

Generic Timer to Sony RM-VPR1 to Sony A7r

There might be a less expensive option which I have not seen tried yet.
    Sony Alpha NEX Cameras and E Mount Lenses: Sony A7 Wired Intervalometer Hack

Post Thanks / Like

So after reading this post, I can honestly say that I am quite confused

I am also looking to get a wired release for my SOny A7R so that I can do timelapses, timed exposures etc etc.. I currently have the Sony RM-VPR1, which was a nightmare to get in its own right..

So hopefully someone here can answer the questions I have..

mjm6 and 4season, you both mention the cable VMC-AVM1, did you have any luck with that? Is that all I need? What cable release/intervalometer am I then using with that?

Then further on down the post, I see that tn1krr is referring to the hypoxic cable

https://www.gethypoxic.com/products....page.tpl&pop=0

that allows Canon timer/intervalometers to be used..

Am I right in assuming that both ways are valid? Or did I miss something and the
    VMC-AVM1 did not end up working?

So confused am I

Ok, thanks so much, much appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wallpaperviking View Post
    mjm6 and 4season, you both mention the cable VMC-AVM1, did you have any luck with that? Is that all I need? What cable release/intervalometer am I then using with that?
    I decided to approach this in the modern manner! I had a "D'oh!" moment when I realized that Sony has a $10 time-lapse app which currently supports still images, raw output and manual exposure control. Got multiple compatible cameras? The terms of the license allows you 10x installs for your $10.

Since I had an existing Sony Playstation account, I just used account info to sign into the Playmemories site using the camera's own web browser (it still blows me away to see a web browser on my camera) and downloaded the app directly.

https://www.playmemoriescameraapps.c...9014_00-000003

And so, I've got some good time-lapse functionality without needing to buy another small piece of black plastic which will inevitably get lost in my cable collection.

Post Thanks / Like

The camera creates it's own wifi network for this functionality. This must have a massive impact on battery life.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasZ View Post
    The camera creates it's own wifi network for this functionality. This must have a massive impact on battery life.
    ???

Only the first time you download the app. Also, you can just hook the camera to your computer and then things proceed as if you were doing a firmware update (well, more or less).

After that the program is permanently stored on your body and you can set it to airplane mode on, so that will not suck the battery for the WIFI connection. In time lapse mode, you will be able to shoot more frames than in regular use (where you need to refocus etc..) I could get up to 800 frames on a single battery and there was still juice there after. Can't compare that battery performance to a wired timer however, since it don't have one.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, my fault. I confounded the time-lapse app with Sony's PlayMemories Mobile App for smartphones. Of course does the in-camera time-lapse app not need any wifi, as the smart remote thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have the adapter cable AVM1 and a generic wired timer, but I have not had a chance to rewire the adapter to a mini-phone jack yet.

The website link for the instructions indicates it will work, however.

Post Thanks / Like

Sony Alpha NEX Cameras and E Mount Lenses: Wired Remote for Sony A7 Cameras

Here's a generic wired remote that works with the a7.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome! Thanks for the link!

Anybody used this combination with success by any chance?

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome! Thanks for the link!

Anybody used this combination with success by any chance?
    Do you have specific questions? I haven't thoroughly used it but can answer questions.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the RM-VPR1 remote, and can say that it works very well, used primarily for landscape shots when my camera is on a tripod.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,
    Thanks for that, not anything specific I guess, just whether it serves well as an intervalometer for timelapse?

I have the Sony Timelapse App but have been looking for another option since I first had the camera..

Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like

Big problem with the time laps app is, that it doesn't support bracketing, which is a must during high dynamic range situations.

Post Thanks / Like

Just picked up an RM-VPR1. When I connect it to my a7r, I no longer have control of most buttons and dials of the camera. I can remotely trigger the shutter, but that's about it. Anyone run into this behavior?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dwood View Post
    Just picked up an RM-VPR1. When I connect it to my a7r, I no longer have control of most buttons and dials of the camera. I can remotely trigger the shutter, but that's about it. Anyone run into this behavior?
    No problem here. Make sure it's not locked and that the power switch is towards the On/Off end (not the Power end).

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Colson View Post
    No problem here. Make sure it's not locked and that the power switch is towards the On/Off end (not the Power end).

Joe
    Hi Joe - yeah, it's not in the locked position and power switch is good. If I disconnect the remote from the cable, the camera controls work. If I reconnect the remote to the cable, camera controls are locked out. Almost feels like some kind of USB communication/conflict problem. Odd, to say the least. Guess I'll call Sony and see what they have to say.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    With best regards, K-H.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

A question for those who own these aftermarket devices: Is this combination capable of triggering the shutter while focus assist (i.e., magnified live view), is actively engaged on the a7/a7r? I ask because the wireless remotes I've used are not able to trip the a7r shutter while focus assist is actively engaged. Instead, a half press of the physical shutter release is necessary, in order to exit from focus assist mode, before a remote can be used to trigger the shot.

For certain types of shots it would be useful to remain in magnified focus assist view and be able to trip the shutter via remote, wired OR wireless, as was possible on the NEX series.

Cheers.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Wired cable release for a7r?

Quote Originally Posted by frozenbb View Post
    A question for those who own these aftermarket devices: Is this combination capable of triggering the shutter while focus assist (i.e., magnified live view), is actively engaged on the a7/a7r? I ask because the wireless remotes I've used are not able to trip the a7r shutter while focus assist is actively engaged. Instead, a half press of the physical shutter release is necessary, in order to exit from focus assist mode, before a remote can be used to trigger the shot.

For certain types of shots it would be useful to remain in magnified focus assist view and be able to trip the shutter via remote, wired OR wireless, as was possible on the NEX series.

Cheers.
    If you watch the video, the green light indicates a half press.

Sony Alpha NEX Cameras and E Mount Lenses: Wired Remote for Sony A7 Cameras

Post Thanks / Like

Great, thanks.