The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Wired cable release for a7r?

mjm6

I'm looking at doing some long exposure work with the a7r, and am looking for cable release options...

I do not want a wireless remote for a variety of reasons.

But, I would like a good wired remote that has a timer built in if possible. Like this product (which does not appear to be compatible with the a7r):

HERE

Does anyone know what the compatibility is between the Alpha connectors and the Nex (Now Alpha? Hahaha) cameras? I need a little clarity in this if anyone has figured this out already.

Sony has a remote, but it does not include a timer at all. Just a dumb remote. Works fine, I'm sure, but not what I would prefer.

Thanks,

---Michael

mjm6

Yes, Guy, they changed the interface again...

What I have found is that it uses a special mini-USB connector that is exclusive to Sony. However there is information on-line to build an adapter plug using an adapter cable that you can purchase, and some parts from an electronics place (Radio Shack), and a bit of soldering.

The Sony adapter cable VMC-AVM1 mentioned is about $17 from Adorama.

That is the route I will go.

Here's a link to some information on how an adapter cable is made:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/psaovf36mc54uyl/Anleitung-UniversalAdapter-fuer-Fernausloeser-SLT58.pdf

With this, you can then use any timer that uses a 2.5mm mini audio jack for the connection.

Like this one (note the mini audio jack for the adapter cables):

Here

---Michael

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Yea just like to see everyone make one just for the fact they take 3 dollars in parts and charge 69 bucks. It tends to piss me off. Thanks for posting the custom built cable. Hope folks will start making them.

mjm6

That is the port that exists on the A99, but not on the a7.

I suspect that Sony figured everyone would use a wireless or wifi connection, but that is questionable for very long exposures. Not reliable enough, battery drain issues, etc.

---Michael

:facesmack: I don't think it will be long before an a7r wired timer is out, looks to be a simple cable swap.

That is the port that exists on the A99, but not on the a7.

I suspect that Sony figured everyone would use a wireless or wifi connection, but that is questionable for very long exposures. Not reliable enough, battery drain issues, etc.

---Michael

mjm6

I'm not sure about that...

The jack is proprietary, so it might be a bit of a hurdle to make one without getting sued by Sony.

I don't know, but I suspect otherwise, one would have been available in about a week! As you said, it is a simple adapter.

---Michael

4season

The jack is proprietary, so it might be a bit of a hurdle to make one without getting sued by Sony.
Not proprietary: It's a standard USB Micro B (not "Mini") connector. Now that someone's figured out the correct wiring, it should be pretty trivial to build an adapter cable. Kind of reminds me of the endless custom RS232 cables and video adapters I used to build.

Update:
Never mind the adapter cable, the remote already exists, only it's listed here for the A3000 but this should do the trick for the A7 too:
http://www.ebay.com/itm//221381880331?&item338b636a0b
I just linked to the first instance that I found, maybe you guys can find a better price (but this one is located in the USA).

mjm6

4Season,

I had read they added a few contacts to the mini-USB connector to make it proprietary. If not, that is good news.

I'll look at the A3000 listings. What is interesting is that none of the other products available include the correct jack (and that includes a few products that have interchangeable jacks on them, and a raft of 6 or 8 different camera jacks).

---Michael

mjm6

I think that product is mis-labelled. It doesn't appear that there are any other products out there that will work with the A3000, so it is the same problem for that camera.

I'm back to the adapter cable approach.

I'll order one up shortly.

---Michael

HansenTsang

>>Not proprietary: It's a standard USB Micro B (not "Mini") connector. Now that someone's figured out the correct wiring, it should be pretty trivial to build an adapter cable. Kind of reminds me of the endless custom RS232 cables and video adapters I used to build.<<

I suggest you look at the remote connector before posting false information. The connector from Sony sure looks proprietary. Where do you find a mini Micro USB connector with 15 pins?

4season

I stand corrected re the remote connector: It's extra-deep and engages an additional row of contacts. However, this port is also compatible with standard USB Micro-B for purposes of charging and data transfer.

This is the adapter cable used in the aforementioned how-to guide:
A/V R Adapter Cable - VMCAVM1 Review | Sony Store U.S. - Sony US

So yes, it's proprietary, but nevertheless hackable.

Last edited:

tn1krr

No built in timer on that one...

I want a timer, hence the original question.
I've got this adapter (expensive as heck, but one can build their own with instructions in dyxum)

https://www.gethypoxic.com/products...ails&product_id=150&flypage=flypage.tpl&pop=0

DYI instructions in dyxum (I have parts to build one too but been too lazy so far as I have the $$$ adapter)

Remote control for A7 - Dyxum - Page 1

Combine adapter cable with one of these remotes and you got timers, exposures longer than 30 secs...

Wired LCD Timer Remote Control Shutter Release TC C1 for Canon 70D 700D 100D | eBay

Works perfectly on multi-minute exposures, delay timers, shutter button has half-press too for autofocusing.