Site Sponsors
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: A7s!

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: A7s!

I just shot the 24, sigma 35, 85 and 135 on my cam. Post in a couple. BTW the 24mm and 85mm are identical in length and both with 72mm filters just a little different look to them
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Guy, I know of this picture only. The lens hood makes it look awesome BIG but of course it doesn't add much weight.
    The weight of the lens is perhaps not that scary, and perhaps I could scale the adaptor down to a LA-EA3 adaptor and save appr. 100 grams.
    I do not need AF with this lens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay my lenses are dirty so please pardon my dust. Cleaning them now after my gig in NY I have not done. Now I do NOT and I mean NOT use any of the supplied hoods. HATE them with a passion. I buy on ebay screw in metal hoods and no front caps ever. i store front caps and hoods in the boxes. Why all my caps and hoods are new when I sell a lens. The hoods are just freaking ugly and big as hell. HATE THEM WITH A PASSION. I repeated myself so that tells you something. LOL

I shot these without any hoods

From smaller to bigger

Now the Sigma is on the edge but I can still hold it well and it still feels balanced . The 135 is a lot tougher to handhold but if you have a grip its awesome
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The LA3 I had but sold. It is a little better size wise. But if your buying AF glass you really should just get the 4 anyway in case you need to hit AF in a situation

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay Im cleaning this is embarrassing there so dirty with dust.

Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

These are self explaining pictures Guy... (Thank you having the trouble shooting the pics...) and you know why? I had the great Sigma 35mm ART lens those days I was shooting 6D. The sigma 35 and the Zeiss 85 is about the same weight. Heavy guys to my book, but very rewarding IQ.

My little concern here is actually only that I sold my bulk DSLR gear to ease myself lugging around. Downsized and shrunk the Canon camera system to an EM1 system consisting of 6 wonderful lenses. Better, but just about enough or at the edge of acceptable IQ, but OK.

Now it seems I am going back and filling up my bag with FF DSLR lenses again
    That's where the Leica lens question came in

No worries about the dirt. I tells you are an active photographer and I chime in hating lens hoods that ugly as they may be.

I have paid my order for the ZA lenses and can cancel off. I have to think hard. Very hard.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well here is my basic issue with the A7 series with just a couple lenses now. To get fast glass and AF than you really have no option but the A mount glass. Thats a big big reason i packed in the ZA but second reason is outside no FE lenses or very limited I am still not FULLY committed to the A7 series until they one come out with more glass and two we see a second version with the needed improvements. Until than I sit on the fence and I am playing it safe no question. Seriously I am even thinking of selling off the A7r for the A7s until I see another 36mpx plus come out. I love the A7r but i don't like the compressed files and i do want the EFC even though I had very minimal problems. The other big reason as well is i have 3 bodies and the A series works on all three of them. I have 3 lenses that will not work on all three the Zeiss 12mm only really works on the A6000 and the 16-70 F4 as well. Than I have the Sigma 18-35 1.8 that works and dedicated to the A77II cam but can use it on the A6000 although pretty big for the A6000. Now looking at the investment in these 3 odd ball lenses it only really equals about 2k tops so I can flip them if I have the need to do that . The A6000 to me is my toy and really not a great need. In any given moment I can sell that and the 12, 16-70 and it would not hurt me in the slightest.

Bottom line for me is I am really waiting on Photokinia to make any real devotion to anything and making any serious moves. I recommend that to everyone in a way, especially if your shooting for money.

Post Thanks / Like

Hear hear..

I was 5 minutes and 29 seconds away buying an A7R when it launched those days, but thought... hey wait until its bads shows up. I did not regret. A7R is a tripod camera to me. It takes really a great deal of shooting discipline to handle 36 MP's, and then came the very bad news about the shutter shake.

What made me choose the EM1 system instead of the Sony A's was exactly the huge selection of quality glass available in the MFT world.

Then came the A7S and what a camera it is. I deeply recommend it, your files will show you abundance of beauty and wonderful tonality. Very true there's some MF look to the files.
    Still we are back to the missing FE lenses and looking at the road map... puhhh... no comfort in that. So here I stand with a lovely camera and left with a headache what to throw on them.. except going bulky again.
    Do you expect some FE lens surprises at Photokina?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I do , I really think Sony is coming to the plate big time in Sept. They are now showing a profit this quarter and the moves they have made even with limited lenses has proved to be a big hit in the market. If they jump further on there bandwagon than it's really a success. They be stupid not to at this point everything is coming up Sony lately.

Honestly they don't need to do too much to satisfy most buyer a couple well placed lenses and correct the A7r and they are on a winning path. The A7 and A7s really don't need anything done to them right now. They are very capable. The biggest thing we need to see is the commitment to the FE line. I see that than I'm all in.

Post Thanks / Like

If I may trust you inner feeling about new FE lenses soon, or at least know they are comming... I'll hold shopping big glass.

The whole point with a compact mirrorless is the lenses equals the size. Totally logic. I am amazed Sony are able to put out 3 A's in a row while not offering even one prime more for it. Sony really owe us something.
    It's obvious I look for the FE X-wide mm, 85 and 135... the latter since I really love to shoot cinematic style.

The 36 MP tripod workhorses I've chosen to uncheck for now and go as slow as it gets. Bought DP 1, 2 and 3 Merrills for stills.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by G43 View Post
    Hear hear..

I was 5 minutes and 29 seconds away buying an A7R when it launched those days, but thought... hey wait until its bads shows up. I did not regret. A7R is a tripod camera to me. It takes really a great deal of shooting discipline to handle 36 MP's, and then came the very bad news about the shutter shake.
    The A7r is not an action camera but to say it is a tripod camera sounds very exagerrated to me. By far most of the time I don't use a tripod and it works fine.
    Even long lenses work fine most of the time handheld.
    This whole shutter shake thing is far overrated.
    I shoot the camera almost dayly and have no complaints about shutter shake.
    My only complaint is the loud shutter in certain quiet situations with people around.

The A7s sounds like a lovely low light camera, but I am now hooked on the 36mp files for the bigger prints.
    Likes 9 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Michiel... For big prints we can't have enough resolution, almost ... and to achieve the highest possible print quality we need flawless files.

I have seen evidence enough that sturdy hands like mine cannot produce unshaken handheld shots with big MP sensors except at fast shutter speeds and perhaps high ISO's to sustain it in given light. That's why I call 36 MP and above tripod cameras (still no one offers IBIS or image stabilized compact AF FF lenses for the A series).

Post Thanks / Like

Oh forgot to mention..

IBIS is not the answer to shutter shake. The shutter design/construction itself is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If I read you right, G43, you don't have an a7r, so it might help if you hear from owners who use their a7r cameras. I am another, and I vouch for what Michiel indicates to you.

The a7r is very likely not primarily intended for tripod usage, and I wager most D800 cameras are also used hand held for most images. The tripod mount in the a7r body is very lightweight, a further indication of its prime intended use as a hand camera. As with all machines, it is unrealistic to expect any of them to excel at all tasks, so best just to get the right camera for your needs. Sony are under no obligation to please any individual, nor is any other maker - there are plenty to choose from!

In terms of degradation of high Mp files and the need for scrupulous attention to technique etc., this is overstated also, in my view. I saw a wonderful analysis (can't find the link sadly) of a comparison on dpr of a D800 image with various levels of induced blurring applied, with 5D2 images - the D800 images were still way ahead in detail! Which is also my experience, and it makes sense when you think about it, people have been taking photos without all this concern for ultra clinical technique for many decades. These concerns are novel and symptomatic of our age of pixel peeping with no regard to the impact of the final whole image.

There are very likely to be thousands of happy a7r users out there with the same opinion, and I have read many reports of similar complaints when the D800 was released. It may not be good enough for you personally but I put it to you that it is absolutely good enough for many others. Anyone wanting the highest image quality in FF in a very small body with suitable lenses - and not necessarily dependent on FE lenses only - is *really missing out* if they do not use one. I expect to have amassed many thousands of very fine images before the fixed one is released to universal acclaim, which won't happen as people will simply move onto the next tier of fault-finding...and these are images that would be very hard to capture to the same level of quality with anything else shy of MFD. ;-) cheers.
    Likes 9 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hear hear..

What made me choose the EM1 system instead of the Sony A's was exactly the huge selection of quality glass available in the MFT world.

Then came the A7S and what a camera it is. I deeply recommend it, your files will show you abundance of beauty and wonderful tonality. Very true there's some MF look to the files.
    Still we are back to the missing FE lenses and looking at the road map... puhhh... no comfort in that. So here I stand with a lovely camera and left with a headache what to throw on them.. except going bulky again.
    Do you expect some FE lens surprises at Photokina?
    How terribly impatient and entitled we all have become.

This initial A7R/A7 camera, and the A7S model that followed in short order, is a young system barely dry behind the ears. It represents a push into uncharted territory and all that implies as Sony moves forward.

Unlike Leica, Canon, Nikon, Oly, Fuji, etc., Sony has no heritage of making lenses they partially bought one with the acquisition of Minolta, but mostly have come to rely on their partnership with Zeiss. In my experience, Zeiss has never been all that fast at pumping out lenses. Plodding would be more accurate. I'd bet that Sony didn't pull the financial trigger on more FE lenses until they were sure this system was accepted and was selling. After all, the whole camera business has been nosediving and shaky for years now.

What we tend to overlook is the revolution that Nikon introduced with the D800 that jumped to the top of the DSLR heap (and did it at 1/2 the price anyone would have expected) has been continued with a camera even less expensive and 1/2 the size. Pretty astounding if you ask me.

A Tripod camera? If you insist. Not only has mine never been on a tripod, it doesn't even have the strap installed I use a wrist strap which is a clear indication of how I position this camera.

Is it demanding? Sure. Can you lose some of its potential in certain shooting circumstances? You bet.

However, like with almost any other camera, I would submit that we are smart enough and skillful enough to avoid its weakness and exploit its strengths while forgiving somethings when we delibertly override what we know as a weakness because we still got a great shot that may only equal one from a 12, 16, or 22 meg camera without the expense of a 12, 16, or 22 meg camera.

Plus, when you expand the narrow band of use usually discussed here to include other uses, the A7R suddenly becomes a revelation. For example, I recently slapped my Profoto AIR transmitter on the A7R and shot in "beyond crappy" low light @ ISO 320 and 400 instead of ISO 3200 or 4000 where flash duration doesn't care about shutter speed or anything else related to the shutter. Instead of comparing this camera to some 12 meg version, this application pushes it into comparisons with the IQ of a MFD camera without the drawbacks of a lumbering MFD kit.

-Marc
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

But this is surely all true Philip.
    I saw examples of shutter shake from actually many brands. Typically appearing at shutter speeds a 100th to a 300th. Even my own EM1 showed it until a newly FW update fixed the phenomenon by introducing EFCS.
    I also saw examples of pixel sharp files shot with A7R and D800/E.

I am just saying *I* do not master a shooting discipline that would lead to pixel level sharpness with these kind of hi-rez cameras. I tried both A7R and D800 with no luck. Hence my need for a tripod for large pixel count cameras.
    I do not mind tripods as such. I will use it with my incoming DP1, 2 and 3 Merrills.

I regret to have left an impression that I am a default fault peeper regarding camera gear. That was unintended. I am rather after gear that come along with my flawed shooting discipline and I certainly found one in the A7S.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    How terribly impatient and entitled we all have become.
    Yes you are right. That indicates our enthusiasm when once having found a camera we really like and misses a couple of brigs to complete the set.
    We do not know yet what Sony/Zeiss hides in their sleeves. Will those primes be excellent or not? I certainly believe they will be good ones. I hope they will be compact ones as with the present 35 and 55.
    The strength in a compact camera system is the low weight and low bulk-factor.
    I am an old chap and had my time dancing with 6 x 7, 645 and later on numerous DSLR systems. These later years the industry has smiled in my direction and today we are totally spoiled with the many compact solutions on offer.
    Sony has shown a serious statement by launching one fantastic sensor after the other and were the first to offer a 24 MP almost pocket camera with the RX1/R and shortly after the ILCS A series, still not matched by any other make. Impressive Sony

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes you are right. That indicates our enthusiasm when once having found a camera we really like and misses a couple of brigs to complete the set.
    We do not know yet what Sony/Zeiss hides in their sleeves. Will those primes be excellent or not? I certainly believe they will be good ones. I hope they will be compact ones as with the present 35 and 55.
    The strength in a compact camera system is the low weight and low bulk-factor.
    I am an old chap and had my time dancing with 6 x 7, 645 and later on numerous DSLR systems. These later years the industry has smiled in my direction and today we are totally spoiled with the many compact solutions on offer.
    Sony has shown a serious statement by launching one fantastic sensor after the other and were the first to offer a 24 MP almost pocket camera with the RX1/R and shortly after the ILCS A series, still not matched by any other make. Impressive Sony
    I'm not a spring chicken either:roll eyes: and the realities of retirement has been a :face smack: as funds go to new priorities.

So, swapping cameras and lens systems like fresh underwear isn't something I relish. I've come to learn to "love the one I'm with" as the old song says.

I've also come to tame my impatient ways it has taken me many long years now to get my Leica S2P system fleshed out talk about waiting for lenses I thought I'd have to put my pre-order for CS leaf-shutter versions in my last will and testament for my heirs to enjoy.

I'm sure Zeiss will deliver, and I hope Sony tightens down its QC so we don't have to sweat every lens we buy from them so much.

- Marc

Post Thanks / Like

I guess patience or impatience neither will fill in a hole of needs, but meanwhile we may keep dreaming

Post Thanks / Like

I stumbled over this interesting look on the GH4 and A7S. It says pretty much why I like the A7S files above my EM1 files.

Sony A7S vs Panasonic GH4

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

All I'm really after in my A7r is a small update like the D800 to the D810. Really not much to be honest. It just needs to be faster with start up time, shutter lag, lose the raw file compression and throw In A EFC for good measure and give me the 1/250 sync speed. Really not a lot but things that would just improve it. Now having said all that , I have a lot of great images without breaking a sweat with it as it stands. Shutter shake and I'll repeat myself is so overblown and frankly just about every system has the same issue. That's what you get with focal plane shutters and don't let anyone kid you leaf shutters have similar issues with slower speeds that are not necessarily timed correctly. What does help is the EFC as it sets the camera up differently to eliminate it. But I would still buy the A7r again. More my issue is the speed factor but I say that with AF in mind and very specific needs that really only the A77II has addressed in the whole industry, why I bought it is the AF tracking smokes anything out there. But having said that no 36mpx cam has accomplished that feat. The Nikon D800/D800e had some serious focus issues and both my cams went in to fix it. Even fixed it was still guess work and a focus confirm out of my view was not helpful at all. So nothing is perfect and I never expect any of them to be. It's my job to find the workarounds.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

See this rumor as this is exactly what I thought would happen. The are stealing the A77II AF which I have boasting about for well over a month now and slap in the 36mpx sensor and bang you may have the best DSLR on the market. Its one reason I have been buying the A mounts, I fully expected this to come true. But your back to a DSLR but again they will hopefully steal what they can from it and update the A7r as both the A7/A7s don't needed anything they have speed, EFC and very capable AF focusing.

Rumors from anonymous and new sources are coming in almost daily now. According to one of them the next Sony A99II (or whatever the final name will be) is going to use the same 36MP Sony A7r sensor. The real highlight will be the fastest autofocus of the world (which Sony claims to be from the A6000 right now). The camera is also featured with NFC and Wifi while rumor has it that there is no built-in GPS because apparently customers do not care about having that feature. Keep your feet on ground for now until trusted sources will confirm the A99II launch and specs.

The source also said the current A99 will keep remaining for sale with likely lowered price. Right now Sony sells them for $1,799 only at eBay US (Click here).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Now if this does come true I'll sell my A77II in a heart beat as I can shoot the A99II in crop mode so I can still get the added focal length. Than I have a 36mpx workhorse cam than maybe get the A7s . Let's see what happens in the next couple weeks but again watch Sony blow the doors off again the competition. They seem to be the only ones on the move, maybe I'm wrong but they do keep releasing stuff far faster than anyone else.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh... one thing more to ad to your A wish list. IBIS and I think I would be fine with the R with EFCS too.

I must admit the Sony rocks for the time being. Hat off the most innovative camera maker by now.

I have admired the MFT camera makers for what they have achieved, but they seem to have run into a wall with the limited size of their sensors. But who knows what kind of new sensor designs are around the corner. Organic ones? Perhaps.
    One thing though we can't have with the MFT cameras is the uber shallow depth of field except with their tele lenses. My PL Nocticron 42,5mm f1.2 is just about to be the best for DOF control at the moment.
    Here's where my S comes in and comes in so beautifully

Post Thanks / Like

Posting here to be in the loop re. whatever Sony might announce in September (and when I will be in the US!!!).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Michiel Schierbeek View Post
    The A7r is not an action camera but to say it is a tripod camera sounds very exagerrated to me. By far most of the time I don't use a tripod and it works fine.
    Even long lenses work fine most of the time handheld.
    This whole shutter shake thing is far overrated.
    I shoot the camera almost dayly and have no complaints about shutter shake.
    My only complaint is the loud shutter in certain quiet situations with people around.

The A7s sounds like a lovely low light camera, but I am now hooked on the 36mp files for the bigger prints.
    I agree totally Michiel about the 7R. I too don't use a tripod and get excellent photos (IMHO); never had an issue w/ shutter shake. My big issue is the loud shutter. I also have the 7S - a great camera, ideal for my street photography. Silent shutter and great low light capability. If I were limited to one camera body, the 7S would be it. I keep the 7R for occasional landscape photography, but I'll probably sell it with the next A upgrade (A8?) The 7S is a keeper!

cheers,
    john

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Honestly personally I don't find it that much exciting. Legacy glass in longer focal lengths, like my G90, plays together with A7* series real well so I don't feel like we are in bad need of such native glass. However, I feel need is very much felt for great glass in 28 and 35mm focal lengths and I would find news of that very exciting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sony will need to do something spectacular in an 85mm if that is the next FE prime to arrive. There are plenty of short teles and we all have our favourites, but a high contrast rapid focus (in good light) small light lens would be very welcome nevertheless.

Fabulous OOF and wide open performance are a must, plus super sharp f5.6-f8, as this is a fine landscape FL. There is room to improve on both the latest and older Zeiss 85/90mm lenses in the outer frame, to get rid of astigmatism and improve them wide open. Something as good as the 100MP with near APO would go well, in a 300 gram package at f1.8. No OSS hopefully.

Each prime up to 135mm must be top drawer for such cameras, to play to their strengths, where the others are weakest.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post

From smaller to bigger

Bud, it's called canned air. You know, the stuff we give a can of to everybody at the workshops? A 6-pack at COSTCO is like $8.99 and is your friend.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by philip_pj View Post
    ... high contrast rapid focus (in good light) small light lens would be very welcome nevertheless.
    It is not speed of "focusing" I am finding lacking with my 55 and 35 but accuracy. All these claims about "world's fastest focusing" by any manufacturer are utterly worthless if that focus is not consistently accurate. Otherwise I bet I can manually (mis)focus just as fast.

Quote Originally Posted by philip_pj View Post
    No OSS hopefully.
    I am finding that once focal length starts reaching 90-ish mm territory I wish for IS if there isn't one. Not because I need it to get blur-free picture but because it is very helpful when trying to precisely focus using magnification.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZoranC View Post
    Honestly personally I don't find it that much exciting. Legacy glass in longer focal lengths, like my G90, plays together with A7* series real well so I don't feel like we are in bad need of such native glass. However, I feel need is very much felt for great glass in 28 and 35mm focal lengths and I would find news of that very exciting.
    Yes perhaps Zoran. I am more keen on original bayonet mount. Adapters cannot be any better, but are convenient of course.
    Sony already showed a FE 55 mm f1.8 that's a great lens, so why shouldn't the 85 f.18 be the same? Well of course we don't know yet.
    A nice f2 35 mm FE lens and a 28 mm f2.8 is welcome indeed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sony already showed a FE 55 mm f1.8 that's a great lens, so why shouldn't the 85 f.18 be the same? ... A nice f2 35 mm FE lens and a 28 mm f2.8 is welcome indeed.
    My post was not about whether 85/1.8 will be good but what we are more in the need of, very good wides we don't have alternative for or teles we do have number of already great alternatives for. Having number of already great alternatives makes news of 85/1.8 non-exciting to me, especially because number of them is very inexpensive and they are already performing on such a high level that even if 85/1.8 exceeds them difference won't be huge. For example just Google for shots taken with A7R and Contax G 90 and you will see what I mean.

P.S. Man, you are up early (for your side of the world).
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Not that early, 6 AM normally.

I have a nap during the day... which is wise. High temperatures, ditto humidity and a fantazillion of mosquitoes isn't my cup of tea

Post Thanks / Like

Zoran..

I thought to illustrate the heat situation here

A7S/55
    ISO 640
    1/320
    f1.8

Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quick notice about achieving min. noise using either in camera based JPEG zebra highlight clipping or the histogram. The camera tends to underexpose.
    If you don't wish to have the hazle setting the camera up for ETTR, you may exposure for the highlights, AEL, + 2 EV exposure compensation. This way you may avoid to crank up fill light and keep info in the highlights in PP.
    IMO you get the most out of the incredible DR doing so.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZoranC View Post
    My post was not about whether 85/1.8 will be good but what we are more in the need of, very good wides we don't have alternative for or teles we do have number of already great alternatives for. Having number of already great alternatives makes news of 85/1.8 non-exciting to me, especially because number of them is very inexpensive and they are already performing on such a high level that even if 85/1.8 exceeds them difference won't be huge. For example just Google for shots taken with A7R and Contax G 90 and you will see what I mean.

P.S. Man, you are up early (for your side of the world).
    I Googled. Indeed a nice and compact lens. Just the compactness alone stands out, but so do the rendering. Prices are attractive as well.
    A FE 85 f1.8 has somewhat to be bigger, but how big?
    Then there's the AF question? Not an issue for me since an 85 I will always go manual for critical focus.
    I will not need a super wide other than the 21 Distagon 2.8. The A7S would not be the typical choice for landscape, even I think it would do fairly well just because of the beautiful color tone.
    A better FE 35mm would be on my wish list.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I Googled. Indeed a nice and compact lens. Just the compactness alone stands out, but so do the rendering. Prices are attractive as well.
    A FE 85 f1.8 has somewhat to be bigger, but how big?
    Then there's the AF question? Not an issue for me since an 85 I will always go manual for critical focus.
    I will not need a super wide other than the 21 Distagon 2.8. The A7S would not be the typical choice for landscape, even I think it would do fairly well just because of the beautiful color tone.
    Contax G lenses are very nice : sharp, contrasty, light and compact. Originally, they were AF lenses and there is a Techart adapter allowing AF. But I find it quite tricky. You can put it in manual mode and the wheel is very smooth to turn. However I always forget the procedure to switch from AF to manual and then I was never able to get magnification to work. it is very slow to AF and often miss the focus. The Metabones adapter I have for Canon lenses works better. I have the Techart adapter version 2, but a version 3 has been released recently.

There are probably more silver barrels than black barrels available, in case you care for the color.

The best Contax G lens is the 45mm F2 IMO, then the 21mm F2.8, the 90mm F2.8. The 28mm and the 35mm weren't as well regarded. On the A7r, only the 45mm and the 90mm are good performers. The 21mm and 28mm produce bad corners (the rear element is standing too near of the sensor).

The main problem of these lenses is purple fringing, but this is correctable in LR.

Since the adapter is tricky, I tend to use the Tamron 90mm F2.8 macro instead of the Contax : it supports AF (although rather slow) and produces excellent corners, better than the Sony FE 70-200mm F4. The Tamron is also a very light lens, although bigger than the Contax G 90.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Anna T.

Seems you have quite an experience with Contax G lenses
    I believe a 12MP FF sensor would not show too many of the bads showing on 36MP with older wide compact lenses sporting superb glass. (Yes there are a few such as the Leica WATE)

Then there's the more bulk, but perfect 85mm ZA lens, as one possibility for me too, but I would really like to see what the announced Zeiss 85mm f1.8 is capable of. Is it another tack sharp and transparent lens like the 55?
    Last edited by G43; 12th August 2014 at 08:44. Reason: Typos

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Bud, it's called canned air. You know, the stuff we give a can of to everybody at the workshops? A 6-pack at COSTCO is like $8.99 and is your friend.
    Well truth be told my wife steals them all the time to dust hard to get to areas. Plus I did not get a chance to clean after a long trip.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Zoran..

I thought to illustrate the heat situation here
    LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

G90 is definitely a gem.

It definitely is on mine.

Post Thanks / Like

G90 gem... would you think it is risky to buy one at ebay? Black for a black camera ;-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

G90 gem... would you think it is risky to buy one at ebay?
    It depends, just like with any other purchase on eBay (on whom you are buying from, does seller offer returns, does eBay offer purchase protection, how easy or hard would be to handle any dispute, etc, etc, etc).

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Zoran.. hmm... yap there's quite some serious sellers it seems. The black ones are priced higher. Perhaps they are more rare.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Anna T.

Seems you have quite an experience with Contax G lenses
    I believe a 12MP FF sensor would not show too many of the bads showing on 36MP with older wide compact lenses sporting superb glass. (Yes there are a few such as the Leica WATE)

Then there's the more bulk, but perfect 85mm ZA lens, as one possibility for me too, but I would really like to see what the announced Zeiss 85mm f1.8 is capable of. Is it another tack sharp and transparent lens like the 55?

The Contax G1, then the G2 were my first interchangeable lens film cameras and I do still have the G2 and five lenses.

Yes, the A7s may be kinder to legacy RF wide angles, but I have yet to see some results and anyway, I won't buy more than one camera a year. Plus, given that I'm not really interested in video, I find the A7s too expensive for my needs.

BTW, I have the silver outfit, which is more frequent and black lenses will cost more than the silver ones, because they are more difficult to find.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Zoran.. hmm... yap there's quite some serious sellers it seems. The black ones are priced higher. Perhaps they are more rare.
    Yes, black ones were made in smaller numbers.

Post Thanks / Like

Think I found one From Europe.. used but in excellent+ condition.

Any experience with Techart Auto Focus AF adapter for Contax G to Sony E mount in its final edition?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Any experience with Techart Auto Focus AF adapter for Contax G to Sony E mount in its final edition?
    I use Metabones and don't worry about it.