Where can we find the Nick Cave photos?
    http://www.getdpi.com/forum/593267-post393.html

Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Re: A7s!

Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Chad, great photos, as always. How was Nick Cave's voice? Can he still bring it?

Heard Mother Falcon on the radio the other day. Quite an interesting group. Any chance you might get to shoot them as well?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MikalWGrass View Post
    Chad, great photos, as always. How was Nick Cave's voice? Can he still bring it?

Heard Mother Falcon on the radio the other day. Quite an interesting group. Any chance you might get to shoot them as well?
    Thanks Mikal!

Yes, Nick can still bring it - amazing performance. Very intense.

Mother Falcon are definitely a home grown favorite here in Austin. Haven't had a chance to photograph them yet but I'm sure our paths will cross...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The deed is done - A900 is sold and for the first time in 12 years I am sans DSLR.

Now contemplating selling the A7 for a second A7s but think I can hold out for Photokina.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Minolta AF 20/2.8 on the A7s using the built-in LR profile which corrects for the native mustache distortion of this lens.

Sharp, sharp, sharp to the corners and edges. Love it!

Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

May I ask over here a question I asked over there http://www.getdpi.com/forum/fuji/512...exhausted.html

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps better to take the http://www.getdpi.com/forum/fuji/512...exhausted.html back to this forum due to I am getting more biased in favor of the A7s.

I got Lloyd Chambers word for the A7s will even beat the beautiful rendering the X100 shows. He pointed out a coming Zeiss 35 f1.4 manual focus will be setting a new benchmark for 12 MP sensor rendering.
    Hmmm... maybe so. But I would miss the AF.

May I ask you at which ISO you feel you are loosing the beauty of the rendering?

Post Thanks / Like

Only the photographer can set benchmarks for rendering Honestly, I would recommend looking at utility and not worrying too much about native file fingerprint, because most people won't care and all can be adjusted in post processing (with profiles if need be).

The A7s sure looks interesting as a low light monster...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    I keep teetering on the brink of this camera - and your post makes it worse. ...What I'd really like is this camera with slightly worse ISO and 24mp . . . then my FE lenses would be out of retirement!
    I bet you get this, or similar, in the next generation. 18 MP A8s?

In the meantime, why not pick up a regular A7? The shutter is miles better than the A7R (especially in burst) and you have 24MP and darned good high ISO?

I'm the same as you: the A7s is really interesting and has lots of features I'd like in my A7 and A7R, but 12MP is just a bit low for me. 16MP would have meant making perfect 20x16s and I doubt I'd have been able to resist buying one.

FWIW, I am so chuffed with my GM-1 and Sony A7 series cameras I can see most of my Leica M kit going up for sale soon.

Post Thanks / Like

True enough turtle... buut.. no matter what I did in ARC/PS for my EM1 files setting the WB and Hue, choosing different camera profiles and adjusting colors in the channel mixer in PS, I was unable to replicate the rendering of the X100. So there's more to it...
    Then of course comparing a 12 MP APS-C sensor to a MFT 16 MP sensor should show differences, and it does.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    FWIW, I am so chuffed with my GM-1 and Sony A7 series cameras I can see most of my Leica M kit going up for sale soon.
    Be careful about what you sell. I divested myself of all my M kit then after buying the A7 I am slowly buying all the lenses back

LouisB

Post Thanks / Like

I finished my order of the A7s and feel pretty content about it
    About the noise vs A7 this speaks for itself. The A7S shows less noise at ISO 6400 than my EM1 at ISO 200 !
    Image comparison: Digital Photography Review

In order to start out with some AF lenses I ordered the standard 35 and 55.

Then the fun sort of way begins. The lenses to die for with this camera.
    For landscape I am covered well with my Zeiss Distagon 21 mm f2.8 and maybe I am as well with both the 35 and 55? As far as I know there has been some doubt whether the 35 is a cross frame transparent lens?
    I would prefer the lenses (except for my 21mm landscape lens) to be relatively compact and easy on weight. No Otus 35, 55 or 85 will find their way onto my A7S, they are far too bulk.
    Many of you happy A shooters would definitely know what favorited you have on yours and I would of course appreciate your pick for best 3 lenses. Max focal length would in my case be 85mm.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Its easy the 24mm F2, 85 1.4, 135 1.8 all ZA. I have all three and love them on all three cams I have the A7r, A77II, A6000. There new Zeiss 50 1.4 is awesome as well but maybe better served with 55 you bought.

Now I think and I can see the fire storm coming but I think the 70-200 2.8 SSM II ZA lens maybe the best 70-200 on the market. I just shot a boat load with it and its stellar
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Appreciated Guy

Crazy good 85mm lens, perhaps a bit on the heavy side.

Any 28 mm in mind?

Post Thanks / Like

Delivery Monday

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G43 View Post
    Appreciated Guy

Any 28 mm in mind?
    G43:

With respect to 28mm lenses with AF in A-mount the most favorably rated (by users on the Minolta/Sony site Dyxum) is, I believe, the Minolta 28mm F2.0. It's, of course, no longer in production. Good copies are sometimes found on Ebay. I think I've seen them for between $500 and $700 (which is considered expensive for a Minolta lens). By the way, stay away from the Minolta (or Sony version of the) 28mm f2.8. It's considered very soft.

Regards,
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Appreciated Guy

Any 28 mm in mind?
    To some the 85 1.4 maybe a little heavy but also sometimes its worth the weight to have a great lens onboard and being a fast lens weight and size will always be the case.

28mm is a tough lens to find outside the Leica 28mm R lens. I blanket it with a 24 and a Sigma 35 Art lens.

But this does not bother me as my kit for years has always been 24,35,85,135 as my primary's and my secondary lenses have also been like a 18, 50, 100, 200 or even wider at 14mm. So depends on your primary kit lenses on what gapping you like.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks jfirneno, thanks Guy..

Minolta. At least my heart tickles a little... hmm... will look out for samples and images trying to evaluate.

Guy, I had the present Sigma 85mm 1,4 until I sold it this spring. Big Mamma, heavy and bulk for a camera like the A line. Focus discipline with that lens was a dance on a knife edge
    I don't know why the 24mm focal length bothers me, at least for street photography. One have to go pretty close to the subject and watch out for an eventual too dominant foreground. As a landscape lens it's really nice and perhaps I'll let it replace the Zeiss Distagon (that IS a tank).
    Ohh.. and now you mention the 35mm ART lens, I am embarrassed to tell you that went with the 85mm. I'd never thought I would go back to FF again since I got the EM1, but seeing the incredible clean images produced by the A7S changed my mind.

However, I will try to keep the weight low for future additional lenses. I find the Sony A series as small as it get before holding and pressing buttons becomes a problem.
    I would also welcome new top class AF lenses from Zeiss/Sony... though this seems to move very slow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

We should know fairly soon here what new FE lenses may hit the streets. Photokinia is I believe Sept. 1st this year and no doubt there will be leaks on what will be announced soon here. I'm kind of on a holding pattern myself but the Sigma 50 Art is on my short list for sure.

Weight is not the biggest concern for me but I get paid to carry that weight too, so in a sense for me at least not the biggest deal. I would have the same type of lenses for a Nikon as well so I save a little on the bodies.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Have not mentioned this but was in B&H last week at the Sony display with all three A7 bodies and the S is very responsive over the others. I did really like it. The focus tracking settings are set up different as well

Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

The Sigma ART lenses excels...Will see when I mount the Zeiss 21 Distagon how balanced the camera will feel If comfortable an ART 85 will not be any worse
    I'll jump over the ART 50. Guess the Sony 55 will do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Remember also you will be using the Sony 4 adapter which you can add a plate to it and mount the adapter to a tripod. Gives it nice balance

Post Thanks / Like

Yes Guy... thought about that too...

Hell... I really have to start reading the whole thing here about the A7 series. I became so sudden an owner of the camera...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

L bracket really Right Stuff. Although with bigger lenses hard to get your finger in to release the dang thing. I may do some grinding on mine.

L-plate for Sony LA-EA4 Lens Adapter

or I will look for another brand

Post Thanks / Like

Guess you are talking about this blunder https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBj0PqOD9zs

Post Thanks / Like

Think I will need a Metabones adapter for at least the Distagon...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_RuKvnxj9o

Post Thanks / Like

The 21mm Distagon will feel massive on the A7s. Just preparing you!

This is why the Sony FE 35 (and to an extent also the 55mm) are so light. With only 450g of weight in the body, even the 24-70 FE is at the upper limit for 'good balance'. The 21 Distagon and most SLR lenses are not only heavy, but also further forward than FE lenses due to the adaptor.

Post Thanks / Like

The Distagon was even feeling nose heavy on my Canon 6D !

I would have loved Sony to launch a FE 21 or even 18mm, a 85 mm w. Macro. Easy weight, small as it gets. Balanced camera.
    This is maybe wish thinking? Hope Sony does not dump the A7 series before they even launch another FE lens for it.

Post Thanks / Like

However it is, and thank you all of you good souls for your advices, my A7s will getting started well of with the 35 and 55. These lenses are quite brilliant (if properly centered) and getting something considerable better would require not only more costs, but also weight going up. The latter spoils the compact FF idea a bit.

To my great luck 70% of my photography is done b7 those focals and the remaining with lesser or bigger.

I guess I can show some images during the coming week.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    To some the 85 1.4 maybe a little heavy but also sometimes its worth the weight to have a great lens onboard and being a fast lens weight and size will always be the case.
    Guy, I've ran through almost everything about the SAL-85F14Z F1,4 / 85mm Carl Zeiss Planar T*. Incredible performance.
    The lens itself I find actually pretty handable and not too bulk and heavy.

Filter Thread Front:72 mm
    Dimensions (DxL) Approx. 2.95 x 3.19" (7.49 x 8.10 cm)
    Weight 1.43 lb (650 g)

(Aprox the same dimensions as my PL Nocticron 42,5 mm I am using on my EM1.)

Adding a LAEA3 adaptor also adds 110 grams to the 650 grams lens weight. 760 grams at the end of the day.

Anybody who have felt this combo being a pain to you? Lack of balance?

Post Thanks / Like

Look at the rendering from the A7S. Just love it.

Sony A7S - zdj

Eventually use google translate.

Post Thanks / Like

I become boaring here.. but I will order this masterpiece.

Zeiss Planar T* 85mm f/1.4 ZA ( Sony SAL-85F14Z ) - Full Format Review / Test Report

The choice is not *S* related as such, but I'm sure the *S* records the quality.

Tomorrow +1 GMT I'll receive the A7S and on it goes.

Post Thanks / Like

Unboxed the camera and set it up for preferable button functions. Nice menu system
    Haven't made any decent photography yet, just shot around my house and some balcony shooting. Hmm.. many says the camera isn't that pleasant to hold. I disagree, I find it quite pleasant.
    The silent mode is freaky and very stealthy. Bravo Sony.

Basically everything feels good in hand and mind... said the EM1 man.

Post Thanks / Like

Okay all you folks shooting with the A7S, I need your thoughts.

I rented it for the third week of July. I used it for some outdoor shooting and for a party that included indoor and outdoor shots. I used it with the FE 24-70, 70-200, 55 and 35mm. I used it with a-mount on the LAEA4. I found it good. I think that the manual magnification on the A7R is better because of the higher magnification. I didn't notice the low light AF to be miles ahead of the A7R (as I was lead to believe by reviews) at reasonable levels (ambient indoor levels). I liked what I saw in outdoor daylight shooting and I liked the files. I think that pixel peeping will cause angst because I'll be tempted to shoot without as much deliberation as I currently use with the A7R. But I think of that as more my problem than the camera's.

What I'm hoping is that you folks might point out any other problems you've run into and stop me from spending anymore money on A7 cameras! Seriously, I'd love to hear other people's experiences with this interesting new camera.

Regards,
    John

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Chad; looking into that now.

Post Thanks / Like

You know I bought the A7S to replace my beloved Fuji X100 12 MP camera. I am convinced it was a good choice.

I have made a test shot just outside my balcony to show some differences. Hoppe the links below works. They are crops, but not at actual pixels level. Please download and crank up yourself.
    Furthermore I have pasted a link showing the same but shot with my EM1. Wanted to see how the noise compares.

All shots:

ISO200
    35mm
    Aperture compensated for sensor size. Same DOF on all 3 pics.
    Developed in ACR/PS
    WB set the same.
    I've compensated the 3 cameras differences re. metering, so approx the same histogram.

(Well... yes I could have chosen a more challenging motive, but forgive me. I couldn't wait)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g8ut1xauja...6-a7s-crop.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/05w2q9rod9...-fuji-crop.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/33hpukm54v...3-EM1-crop.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Its easy the 24mm F2, 85 1.4, 135 1.8 all ZA. I have all three and love them on all three cams I have the A7r, A77II, A6000.
    Guy, you are right.

Just ordered the 24 f2, 85 f1.4 and 135 mm f1.8 Za lenses.

Lenses last, cameras doesn't.

Post Thanks / Like

Guy, you are right.

Just ordered the 24 f2, 85 f1.4 and 135 mm f1.8 Za lenses.

Lenses last, cameras doesn't.
    Hey cancel the order on the 24 f2! I have an extra one I can give youa smoking deal on

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ryc View Post
    Hey cancel the order on the 24 f2! I have an extra one I can give youa smoking deal on

PM me

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Sony A7s, Noctilux @ f/0.95, Wide Open, ISO 12,800, Seattle Night

Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Ashwin,... now you had the camera for a while, would you mind to drop a few words about how the files tastes to your book? Any favorite lenses until now?

There's no doubt the sensor delivers at high ISO. DL registers 1,5 stops above A7R.

But how does the low ISO files meet your demands?

Post Thanks / Like

is it possible to turn the LCD completely off (not just black lit) on the A7s? I know you can switch between EVF and the LCD but once you do, even file playback needs to be through the EVF. Am I doing something wrong?

Post Thanks / Like

GREAT SHOTs Ashwin, very film like

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Phillip Bloom's review of the a7s:

Philip Bloom reviews the A7s: Says it’s an “awesome” camera. | sonyalpharumors

..and a thought that Sony really should take the easy step of putting the 36Mp sensor in the a99 body - because of all the majors they probably have the most capable prime lenses in : 24/2, 50/1.4, 85/1.4, 135/1.8, 70-400 zoom and older lenses like 200/2.8 APO ad 135STF. There is very little wrong with any of these, they just need a new home. And by the looks of it, the new 70-200/2.8!

Post Thanks / Like

Just wanted to add to my mini review earlier.

With the A7S you get two batteries and the new W charger in the box.
    Much criticised in the A7R package where you did not.

This is interesting to me because Sony are traditionally (or so I'm led to believe being a new adopter) deaf to customer feedback and slow to react. Fuji are often held up recently as the perfect customer satisfaction camera company. This change in the box contents indicates perhaps that things are moving in the right direction at Sony top level. Which is encouraging, especially looking at the need for a robust lens line up for the A7 system.

Post Thanks / Like

My photo-gear dealer have some delayment on my order for 24 ZA and 85 ZA lenses.

It gives me a little time out to think of the 85mm f1.4 + adaptor weight again. I am still a bit worried about the camera balance.

Is anybody familiar with A7 series and Leica Summarit 75mm and 90mm lenses? Which works best for you?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ill take a shot of the A7r with the 85 and post it for you.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes please