The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7s!

I see this camera as having considerable potential for still shooters IF the low light and dynamic range performance turns out to be as good as we are currently being lead to believe. The low megapixel count will be suitable for a lot of still photography needs. I have a 30" x 40" print hanging on my wall that was made from a 10 mp Leica M8 APS-C sensor that looks great so 12 mp (really good mp) on full frame should be adequate for decent sized prints if processed carefully. I have the A7R but will be eager to read reviews of the A7S to see if it has a place in my kit.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Kit, I will be looking forward to your front page article!:lecture:
Me too and honestly I might just have to start offering this service as I am thinking more about replacing my A7 with this. I can get far more jobs offering both still and video

Guy Mancuso

I heard 1700.00 if that's the case I may just switch out my A7 for it. I'm actually shooting some video this week for a client. This may just be a smart business decision for me.

biglouis

I can't work out from the specification whether this new beast does or does not have an OLP. Any ideas?

LouisB

Rawfa

Unlike most here I came from video and then moved to photography...and now I´m beginning to do both. I´m in many video forums and people are VERY VERY excited about the A7S. Regarding video it would have been a smart move from Sony to have chosen a touch screen LCD that allowed you to choose focus by tapping...if not, at least it they should have come up with an awesome continuous AF on video mode.

Guy Mancuso

Like to hear about what accessories to buy to go video. Fluid heads, drives , microphones, rigs and such. Especially with this body as i am starting to consider it more . I have the real workhorse with the A7r but having all this glass it might be a great choice for me as a video machine and backup unit. Plus I have some gigs for low mpx count cams as well.

besides all that just think of what we could do with the extreme high ISO stuff. I got some ideas on that one for a project or two.

Rawfa

Guy, it kind of depends on the type of video work you plan to do.
I have a Rode videomic pro for run & gun, a 5 inch Sony external LCD, a beachteck with phantom power, 3 lav mics. a multi-bracket cage to mount the camera with different accessories and I´m starting to look into a stabilizer (there are all kinds ranging from us$50 up to tens of thousands of dollars).

Here is a video I shot with the A7 with live sound from the Rode Videomic PRO: https://vimeo.com/81553093

Guy Mancuso

I don't really need much in the way of video. I have corporate clients that would love me to shoot video of podium speaches and such . So nothing really crazy but I would certainly get more work having video capabilities because they usually hire video before a still shooter. Change in the tide

Ulfric Douglas

...For those of us who do photography at 12-16MP ...
By choice I don't want 24mpx, so this is suddenly a better A7 than the A7, if that makes sense.
I'm hoping the extra half a year of development might have also improved some other issues, at the very least it is a nice alternative.

Rawfa

I´ve read an article the other day about 4K opening the doors for a new kind of workflow where people would be able to extract stills from an indivisual frame, which would mean hiring a video guy only for everything. I see it as very tedious work to select 200 stills from wedding footage for instance. It´s also just weird having a model in front of you and just hit record while she poses (when you´re not changing lenses or battery).

tashley

Subscriber Member
Guy, it kind of depends on the type of video work you plan to do.
I have a Rode videomic pro for run & gun, a 5 inch Sony external LCD, a beachteck with phantom power, 3 lav mics. a multi-bracket cage to mount the camera with different accessories and I´m starting to look into a stabilizer (there are all kinds ranging from us$50 up to tens of thousands of dollars).

Here is a video I shot with the A7 with live sound from the Rode Videomic PRO: https://vimeo.com/81553093
That was waaaay cool!

Rawfa

Wow loved it , very well done. So you recorded the music separate than edited to it
Many thanks, Guy. The standard workflow is to have a master track and then play it as the musician plays it in playback. This way you can easily sync it in post. But in this particular case the guy called me for a photo shoot and I ended up making him a music video with LIVE sound...which was kind of hell, as each time I shot a different angle the music had a different duration (from 3 to 5 minutes). Editing was much harder then with the artist playing with a master track playing in the background. But this clip goes to show you how good the Rode Videomic Pro is (it´s also not expensive).

Guy Mancuso

Yea about 240 dollars from what I seen on B&H. Not bad

I guess from reading Kirks article you need a video recorder to do 4k but let me ask a really dumb question. If you just shot this thing standard without 4k than I guess you still get the high ISO advantage and such. I will apologize right now for my lack of video understanding. I real never followed it and ignored it forever as I am a still guy but and the big BUT times are changing and either I get on board some or I maybe in a world of hurt.

Rawfa

Guy, ask away. I love helping out. If you have any particular or more complex doubt and you want to drop me a PM feel free to do that too.
High iso and dynamic range on video are still good but it´s like shooting JPEG on a lower quality. You won´t get as clean a video using iso 6400 as you would shooting stills with full quality JPEG (let alone raw). The way the sensor is read on the A7S, the better codec and the bump in compression (almost double the A7/A7R´s) should play a big part in getting even better results with high iso and dynamic range (on both accounts the A7 is no slouch).

Guy Mancuso

Thanks I may just seek some help here for sure. Like you I love to help folks but here on video I need some education for sure. Im not afraid to admit it either. LOL