The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7s!

Steve P.

wex photographic website in the U.K. has it listed for pre-order at £2,500.
I'm out.
Update. Rawfa, I just clicked on the link you provided and I see that wex U.K. is the source of the rumour there too.
Bit of a downer, huh?

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I'll go 2800 USD. This is not just about video I want a clean ISO 3200. Im only looking for 2 stops. Video is certainly the bonus. Now I am hoping it pays for itself in 2 gigs.

Rawfa

You´re a lucky guy, Guy :D
When photography or video become my bread and butter I´ll justify to my self spending so much money on gear. At the moment I guess I suffer from unnecessarily expensive gear guilt hehehe

lambert

wex photographic website in the U.K. has it listed for pre-order at £2,500.
I'm out.
Update. Rawfa, I just clicked on the link you provided and I see that wex U.K. is the source of the rumour there too.
Bit of a downer, huh?
Well, if it's any consolation, they sell the D4S for £5,200.

Guy Mancuso

You´re a lucky guy, Guy :D
When photography or video become my bread and butter I´ll justify to my self spending so much money on gear. At the moment I guess I suffer from unnecessarily expensive gear guilt hehehe
Here's the rub. I just shot three days in a convention center downtown and shot both video clips and stills but mostly stills. I shot a couple booths that where on tripod and shot at ISO 100 and there perfect. But I shot about 600 hundred images at ISO 1600 and mostly around 5.6 at 1/60 now first of all they are handheld and on the verge of motion issues with people walking around second the noise is just a bit over the top to deliver to 4 different clients. I just ran 600 images in noise ninja and look much better. Getting that extra 2 stops would be huge here. Now on to video, I felt I was in the dark with light and I really just got by with the skin of my teeth and there okay. I did warn my client on the videos that I'm not geared up for it ahead of time, so I cleared my path before I even pressed the button. But I'm a Pro and don't like to use a excuse out of the gate either. Now I. Being critical too but I have to be. First I need to answer to myself and feel good about what I do. So the S would have been huge.

Now if I analyze the whole three days I shot about 100 images that needed the high Mpx on tripod kind of shooting. Okay I got that in the A7r but the A7 really did not buy me more High ISO or better video either, just more like a second body that did most of the workload. The A7s could have done a far better job both on video and the high ISO stills. So just this one gig proved my thoughts and more important justified a purchase. Having both the A7r and A7s is a far better 2 cam setup than the A7 and A7r. Now if you reread what I just wrote I summed up 500 million comments up in one paragraph and proved the need more than the want. I have to go by real life usage and real needs. I see the A7s as a need and the A7 as really just a backup. Rather have a camera serve both uses.

philip_pj

Sony are floating pre-release price levels, and what it settles at on broad release might be very different, in fact I would expect so given the economics of the camera, most of which they already have settled.

It's become a regular challenge for them as they keep making cameras no one ever made before. To put a figure on it, around $2400 into the US marketplace is my guess, with more deals after 3-4 months. Let's hope for bad reviews from the usual suspects - that will help!

It will be fascinating to see what the DR is and colour along with it, just as much as the low light performance. For sure it will kick along the FE system some. New a7s buyers will have one eye on what is already there in FE and what is around the corner. That is also five very different Sony full frame cameras now.

Reading your post Guy, this camera might give pro users an advantage over other brands for client files. What would compare?

Guy Mancuso

That's the key as I have one eye squarely on the next SLT body as well. We really have to watch what's going on and try to predict what's next. Here's the good news and bad news the bad news it maybe hard to do is keep up with Sonys fast output the good news is they actually HAVE output everyone else is taking a freaking nap. Go Sony, confuse the crap out of me. Lol

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Here's the rub. I just shot three days in a convention center downtown and shot both video clips and stills but mostly stills. I shot a couple booths that where on tripod and shot at ISO 100 and there perfect. But I shot about 600 hundred images at ISO 1600 and mostly around 5.6 at 1/60 now first of all they are handheld and on the verge of motion issues with people walking around second the noise is just a bit over the top to deliver to 4 different clients. I just ran 600 images in noise ninja and look much better. Getting that extra 2 stops would be huge here. Now on to video, I felt I was in the dark with light and I really just got by with the skin of my teeth and there okay. I did warn my client on the videos that I'm not geared up for it ahead of time, so I cleared my path before I even pressed the button. But I'm a Pro and don't like to use a excuse out of the gate either. Now I. Being critical too but I have to be. First I need to answer to myself and feel good about what I do. So the S would have been huge.

Now if I analyze the whole three days I shot about 100 images that needed the high Mpx on tripod kind of shooting. Okay I got that in the A7r but the A7 really did not buy me more High ISO or better video either, just more like a second body that did most of the workload. The A7s could have done a far better job both on video and the high ISO stills. So just this one gig proved my thoughts and more important justified a purchase. Having both the A7r and A7s is a far better 2 cam setup than the A7 and A7r. Now if you reread what I just wrote I summed up 500 million comments up in one paragraph and proved the need more than the want. I have to go by real life usage and real needs. I see the A7s as a need and the A7 as really just a backup. Rather have a camera serve both uses.
That pretty much sums it up, Guy. Buy the tool that is the best for what you need it for. A combined screwdriver and hacksaw won't do.

hot

Oh my god ... WHO needs such a HORRIBLE video ... same with 204.800 and 102.400
Perhaps people waiting for 10.485.760 ISO ...

nostatic

If it is a choice between darkness and getting a shot, I'll take the shot. Given that people will willingly watch crap quality on youtube, for certain applications that shot is acceptable, and likely could not be gotten with another camera.

Guy Mancuso

Agree and shooting by fire pit type lighting would be rare for me. I will take the shot always.

Im only looking for 2 stops in my life, after that pull out lights. LOL