The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7s!

ZoranC

... high contrast rapid focus (in good light) small light lens would be very welcome nevertheless.
It is not speed of "focusing" I am finding lacking with my 55 and 35 but accuracy. All these claims about "world's fastest focusing" by any manufacturer are utterly worthless if that focus is not consistently accurate. Otherwise I bet I can manually (mis)focus just as fast.

No OSS hopefully.
I am finding that once focal length starts reaching 90-ish mm territory I wish for IS if there isn't one. Not because I need it to get blur-free picture but because it is very helpful when trying to precisely focus using magnification.

G43

Honestly personally I don't find it that much exciting. Legacy glass in longer focal lengths, like my G90, plays together with A7* series real well so I don't feel like we are in bad need of such native glass. However, I feel need is very much felt for great glass in 28 and 35mm focal lengths and I would find news of that very exciting.
Yes perhaps Zoran. I am more keen on original bayonet mount. Adapters cannot be any better, but are convenient of course.
Sony already showed a FE 55 mm f1.8 that's a great lens, so why shouldn't the 85 f.18 be the same? Well of course we don't know yet.
A nice f2 35 mm FE lens and a 28 mm f2.8 is welcome indeed.

ZoranC

Sony already showed a FE 55 mm f1.8 that's a great lens, so why shouldn't the 85 f.18 be the same? ... A nice f2 35 mm FE lens and a 28 mm f2.8 is welcome indeed.
My post was not about whether 85/1.8 will be good but what we are more in the need of, very good wides we don't have alternative for or teles we do have number of already great alternatives for. Having number of already great alternatives makes news of 85/1.8 non-exciting to me, especially because number of them is very inexpensive and they are already performing on such a high level that even if 85/1.8 exceeds them difference won't be huge. For example just Google for shots taken with A7R and Contax G 90 and you will see what I mean.

P.S. Man, you are up early (for your side of the world).

G43

Not that early, 6 AM normally.

I have a nap during the day... which is wise. High temperatures, ditto humidity and a fantazillion of mosquitoes isn't my cup of tea :)

G43

Quick notice about achieving min. noise using either in camera based JPEG zebra highlight clipping or the histogram. The camera tends to underexpose.
If you don't wish to have the hazle setting the camera up for ETTR, you may exposure for the highlights, AEL, + 2 EV exposure compensation. This way you may avoid to crank up fill light and keep info in the highlights in PP.
IMO you get the most out of the incredible DR doing so.

G43

My post was not about whether 85/1.8 will be good but what we are more in the need of, very good wides we don't have alternative for or teles we do have number of already great alternatives for. Having number of already great alternatives makes news of 85/1.8 non-exciting to me, especially because number of them is very inexpensive and they are already performing on such a high level that even if 85/1.8 exceeds them difference won't be huge. For example just Google for shots taken with A7R and Contax G 90 and you will see what I mean.

P.S. Man, you are up early (for your side of the world).
I Googled. Indeed a nice and compact lens. Just the compactness alone stands out, but so do the rendering. Prices are attractive as well.
A FE 85 f1.8 has somewhat to be bigger, but how big?
Then there's the AF question? Not an issue for me since an 85 I will always go manual for critical focus.
I will not need a super wide other than the 21 Distagon 2.8. The A7S would not be the typical choice for landscape, even I think it would do fairly well just because of the beautiful color tone.
A better FE 35mm would be on my wish list.

Annna T

I Googled. Indeed a nice and compact lens. Just the compactness alone stands out, but so do the rendering. Prices are attractive as well.
A FE 85 f1.8 has somewhat to be bigger, but how big?
Then there's the AF question? Not an issue for me since an 85 I will always go manual for critical focus.
I will not need a super wide other than the 21 Distagon 2.8. The A7S would not be the typical choice for landscape, even I think it would do fairly well just because of the beautiful color tone.
A better FE 35mm would be on my wish list.
Contax G lenses are very nice : sharp, contrasty, light and compact. Originally, they were AF lenses and there is a Techart adapter allowing AF. But I find it quite tricky. You can put it in manual mode and the wheel is very smooth to turn. However I always forget the procedure to switch from AF to manual and then I was never able to get magnification to work. it is very slow to AF and often miss the focus. The Metabones adapter I have for Canon lenses works better. I have the Techart adapter version 2, but a version 3 has been released recently.

There are probably more silver barrels than black barrels available, in case you care for the color.

The best Contax G lens is the 45mm F2 IMO, then the 21mm F2.8, the 90mm F2.8. The 28mm and the 35mm weren't as well regarded. On the A7r, only the 45mm and the 90mm are good performers. The 21mm and 28mm produce bad corners (the rear element is standing too near of the sensor).

The main problem of these lenses is purple fringing, but this is correctable in LR.

Since the adapter is tricky, I tend to use the Tamron 90mm F2.8 macro instead of the Contax : it supports AF (although rather slow) and produces excellent corners, better than the Sony FE 70-200mm F4. The Tamron is also a very light lens, although bigger than the Contax G 90.

G43

Thanks Anna T.

Seems you have quite an experience with Contax G lenses :)
I believe a 12MP FF sensor would not show too many of the bads showing on 36MP with older wide compact lenses sporting superb glass. (Yes there are a few such as the Leica WATE)

Then there's the more bulk, but perfect 85mm ZA lens, as one possibility for me too, but I would really like to see what the announced Zeiss 85mm f1.8 is capable of. Is it another tack sharp and transparent lens like the 55?

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Bud, it's called canned air. You know, the stuff we give a can of to everybody at the workshops? A 6-pack at COSTCO is like $8.99 and is your friend. :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:
Well truth be told my wife steals them all the time to dust hard to get to areas. Plus I did not get a chance to clean after a long trip.

ZoranC

G90 gem... would you think it is risky to buy one at ebay?
It depends, just like with any other purchase on eBay (on whom you are buying from, does seller offer returns, does eBay offer purchase protection, how easy or hard would be to handle any dispute, etc, etc, etc).

G43

Thanks Zoran.. hmm... yap there's quite some serious sellers it seems. The black ones are priced higher. Perhaps they are more rare.

Annna T

Thanks Anna T.

Seems you have quite an experience with Contax G lenses :)
I believe a 12MP FF sensor would not show too many of the bads showing on 36MP with older wide compact lenses sporting superb glass. (Yes there are a few such as the Leica WATE)

Then there's the more bulk, but perfect 85mm ZA lens, as one possibility for me too, but I would really like to see what the announced Zeiss 85mm f1.8 is capable of. Is it another tack sharp and transparent lens like the 55?

The Contax G1, then the G2 were my first interchangeable lens film cameras and I do still have the G2 and five lenses.

Yes, the A7s may be kinder to legacy RF wide angles, but I have yet to see some results and anyway, I won't buy more than one camera a year. Plus, given that I'm not really interested in video, I find the A7s too expensive for my needs.

BTW, I have the silver outfit, which is more frequent and black lenses will cost more than the silver ones, because they are more difficult to find.

G43

Think I found one :) From Europe.. used but in excellent+ condition.

Any experience with Techart Auto Focus AF adapter for Contax G to Sony E mount in its final edition?