The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7s!

Rawfa

I've just read on sonyalpharumors that Sony will release a new FE camera on Sunday called A7S. I'm very very curious, but I'm guessing it will probably be just some additional focus points, maybe some new video codec (or 4K, which would be awesome)....or maybe just a regular A7 with a traditional DSLR body.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I'll take it specs unknown. It would have to have more AF points like the A6000. That's enough for me. I may not order the kit lens now and wait the weekend

Rawfa

A6000 AF would be nice (although the A7 already has 117). There are a LOT of people shooting videos with DSLR these days, so it would not surprise me at all if this was a 4K camera to compete with the GH4. If this is the case and if the price is right I would buy it in a heartbeat. What intrigues me is where will this product be place? The price difference between the A7 and the A7R is already small, so it would be kind of strange to have a product in between.

D&A

Speaking of AF, is it true that shutting off face recognition in the A7 (r), greatly aids in AF lock - on (especially under low light conditions) and possibly helps tracking as well? I'm not sure if this has been discussed previously?

Dave (D&A)

D&A

Maybe it will have faster AF for sports shooting.

Ben, Guy understands shalom bayit better than most of us.
I've never heard it discussed in the context of wearing a helmet...LOL! Use of a frying pan, maybe! :)

Dave (D&A)

Ben Rubinstein

My wife has a 'look' sometimes that would make me prefer either of the above options instead. :D I think it comes with being a Jewish mother...

D&A

My wife has a 'look' sometimes that would make me prefer either of the above options instead. :D I think it comes with being a Jewish mother...
I know that look all too well and am now perminantly conditioned to it and the resulting consequences :).

As an aside, I now see someone has started a separate thread on possible impact of face recognition on A7 (r) AF speed, lock-on.

Dave (D&A)

biglouis

Maybe it won't have an anti-aliasing filter ?

That would make it an instant winner.
Yes, I am intrigued as to what Sony would call an A7 that has the RX1R sensor in it. I would prefer that to getting a A7r just because of file size. I know this sounds strange but having owned the Ricoh GR I am now very much sold on cameras without the AA filter but in two minds about having a 36mpx body.

LouisB

Rawfa

The link has been updated and it has been confirmed that the biggest new is that the camera will shoot 4K.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
One would wonder if the AF points are also updated with that. Im not really after the 4k myself but I did play with video the other day as I need to shoot some for a job next week. It turns out with my longest lens the 135 1.8 with Sony 4 adapter I cane go to crop mode but i have to do manual focus as I pick up the sound of the focusing gears with the 135 F1.8 and the only way to adjust aperture is on manual focus with this lens. Anything AF it goes to F3.5 only. I also learned to use auto ISO as well. Its a little bit of a handicap without the AF even though on AFC it works pretty good. But until I get a native FE long lens this is the option I have. No one has tested this but I wonder if the A6000 with the Sony 4 adapter for ZA lenses works more effectively where one can adjust the aperture.

scho

The link has been updated and it has been confirmed that the biggest new is that the camera will shoot 4K.
That would be an immediate deal killer for me. I have no interest in video features.