Site Sponsors

Thread: Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art Series

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art Series

Just arrived and have to say Wow. The AF even with the Sony 4 adapter is lightning fast. Just snaps right in to focus and at 1.4 just brilliant. Yea its big , heavy and all that stuff but its rated the best 1.4 35mm out there. It is too I used it on my D800E and loved it but sold it because of the Nikon mount. Now i got this one in Sony A mount its nice and tight on the adapter but not too tight and no wobble. Seriously its the best 900 dollar 35mm around. Ill post images as they come but this smokes the 35mm FE lens and it 2 stops faster for 100 dollars more.

As usual . I put all the parts away both lens caps and hood. I buy metal hoods very cheap on ebay and than I have a Sony A rear cap. This way I save all the original parts so they never get lost and i don't use front lens caps ever. The hood protects the elements. Worst case maybe a little dust. Its a policy I have done for years is just buy these cheap metal lens hoods on ebay. I have tons of them in all sizes
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art Series

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Just arrived and have to say Wow. The AF even with the Sony 4 adapter is lightning fast. Just snaps right in to focus and at 1.4 just brilliant. Yea its big , heavy and all that stuff but its rated the best 1.4 35mm out there. It is too I used it on my D800E and loved it but sold it because of the Nikon mount. Now i got this one in Sony A mount its nice and tight on the adapter but not too tight and no wobble. Seriously its the best 900 dollar 35mm around. Ill post images as they come but this smokes the 35mm FE lens and it 2 stops faster for 100 dollars more.

As usual . I put all the parts away both lens caps and hood. I buy metal hoods very cheap on ebay and than I have a Sony A rear cap. This way I save all the original parts so they never get lost and i don't use front lens caps ever. The hood protects the elements. Worst case maybe a little dust. Its a policy I have done for years is just buy these cheap metal lens hoods on ebay. I have tons of them in all sizes
    I have some interest in this lens, and look forward to your examples. A quick pic of what this looks like on the A7R body would be cool too. Kind of wondering if this lens has any mojo, is more on the clinical side, or somewhere in between.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I will buy Sigma 35mm Art lens, but i want to buy for Canon, and because i have many Canon lenses and sooner or later will buy an adapter to use Canon on my Sony so it is better buy one Sigma lens rather than one for Sony and another one for Canon, in both cases i will use an adapter, so better i get the one for Canon and use it on Sony with Canon [Metabones maybe] adapter.
    Tareq

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yea I would get the Canon since your still shooting that and yes the Metabones III is the one you want it may even AF but bet it will be slow.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dwood View Post
    I have some interest in this lens, and look forward to your examples. A quick pic of what this looks like on the A7R body would be cool too. Kind of wondering if this lens has any mojo, is more on the clinical side, or somewhere in between.
    I bet I have a thread on the Nikon forum exactly on this lens.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So, Guy you chose for the Sigma instead of the Voigtländer 1.2
    Don't tell me you bought both

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No I got the Sigma for now. Ill get a creamy dreamy one later. LOL

here is one test on the Sigma I did on the Nikon . Looking for more

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/nikon/45...ens-tests.html

Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is another Tim started although his issues with focusing is not seeming to be a issue on the Sony . Mine is a razor wide open and through the range as well. I had to buy 2 of them myself back with my Nikons. Seems okay now

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/nikon/43...mm-f1-4-a.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I bought and returned TWO of the Sigmas due to unbearably slow AF in low light on the A900 - it was no speed demon in good light either.

Your comments about snappy AF on the LAEA-4 have me intrigued Guy. I think Precision has one in stock so I might need to bring the two bodies down and give it another go.

The IQ was beyond reproach but as a concert photographer I could not live with the AF.

Chad

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Speaking of creamy and dreamy, I did grab the CV 35/1.2 and per every other review of it on the A7, it is a dream lens.

AF sucks though!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The AF on the Sigma is faster than both my 85 1.4 and 135 1.8 A mounts but of course there screw drives. So for me it's pretty nice indeed. Great lens but fair warning it's a chunk of lens but it was on a Nikon too. I'm also not bothered too much by size since I come from big DSLRs and MF cams but the Sony is small so that is nice and I get my whole system in my backpack or roller and even a TT retro 30. The big lens is the 135

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I still cut weight though from my Nikons and more important some bulk in some areas. Nothing got bigger per say all the glass is pretty much the same as I had except for the 55 which is small. It will get smaller as more FE lenses come to play though.