Site Sponsors

Thread: My Sony Lens kit after 5 months

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My Sony Lens kit after 5 months

Well its been a bit of time since I first got the A7r from switching out my Nikon kit and been kind of limping along as I thinned out the Nikon mount lenses to the new A7rand A7. Right now keeping the A mount in tact as i just don't know what is next coming out of the Sony camp but I am ready for anything even a new Sony A mount cam which in my mind i will always keep the A7r as my 36mpx workhorse but the A7 is my AF kit and in limbo right now . If a new A99 comes out with focus points to the edges with the existing ZA lenses than I will most certainly switch out the A7 for it or I would even consider a APC body as well like a revised A77 with the same sensor. But i finally am starting to feel comfortable. Now I will say from as working Pro seat I hand picked these to support my business and if I was not a Pro and had certain speed and AF needs than the lens kit would most likely be slightly different. I would most likely have a few M and or R lenses. One would be the maybe the 90 cron or similar to reduce sizing in the kit but right now having just the smaller body makes me happy. Lenses will have to be what they are until new FE glass comes along but I basically rebuilt my Nikon kit in Sony mounts and Im not lacking anything.

I bought this for fun but it is useful in some scenarios as i can fix any distortion with it and still get great images . I like this lens even though its cheap won't last forever and may just fall apart but for 325 dollars who cares. The Rokinion 14mm in a A mount bolted to a Sony 3 adapter. Next my oddball since it is in a Canon mount which was intentional is the Zeiss 25mm F2 one of my all time favorites but with the Metabones III adapter I get full Exif and aperture control in camera like all my other lenses just have to manually focus which i love to do anyway. Next the Sigma 35mm 1.4 in Sony A mount again not much can touch the image quality of this lens at 1.4 and sharp as nails stopped down. For 900 dollars its a easy choice and I have it back from my Nikon kit. Next the 55mm FE and you saw my tests on it and its brilliant, than in the ZA mounts as well the ZA 85 1.4 my look lens and the 135mm 1.8 Sony . These both are best in class and until a FE version comes out and I finally settle on the FE cams than these are going nowhere.

So the question is where are you all at now. I have very specific needs and more so than a non working Pro but I love to hear what folks have snuggled up too in there glass as i am a classic lens whore myself and its fun to see what people decide on. I am not done though as i want to build a smaller lens kit for the Guy personal collection but I had to get this working kit in order first.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: My Sony Lens kit after 5 months

So far I'm sitting on the 14/2.8, 24-70/4, and 55/1.8 in FE mount. I have a 85/1.4, 100/2, 135/2.8, and 180/2.8 in Contax Yashica mount. Then I have all the M mount stuff in my signature still.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What mount for the 14mm 2.8
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

E mount. Rokinon cinema versions cover full frame.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like

I still have my Somy A900 system, so My A7R carry around kit is Minolta 20 mm f2.8 A mount, 28 mm f2.8 A mount, 35mm FE, 55 mm FE, and Tamron 90mm f2.8 macro A mount. All A mount lenses with the 4 adapter, which allows AF, EXIF DATA, etc. Small , light kit which covers ultra wide to moderate telephoto, macro, high enough quality for 20"x30" prints, and auto focus.
    Enjoy this forum....thanks from a senior citizen amateur.
    Dave in NJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gurtch View Post
    I still have my Somy A900 system, so My A7R carry around kit is Minolta 20 mm f2.8 A mount, 28 mm f2.8 A mount, 35mm FE, 55 mm FE, and Tamron 90mm f2.8 macro A mount. All A mount lenses with the 4 adapter, which allows AF, EXIF DATA, etc. Small , light kit which covers ultra wide to moderate telephoto, macro, high enough quality for 20"x30" prints, and auto focus.
    Enjoy this forum....thanks from a senior citizen amateur.
    Dave in NJ
    Your images my friend are far from being amateur.

BTW I hate and i mean hate the word amateur , its degrading and I never ever use it especially on this forum. Hobbyist yes as it is a financial description not a talent one. You got talent

Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

i'm after what the M body is not so good at:

canon 24mm TS-E
    Sony/Zeiss 135/f1.8

and then the Sony FE's: 55 and 35

Post Thanks / Like

..olympus om 21/2,24/2,28/2,35/2,50/1.8,50/2 macro,90/2 macro, 135/2.8,sony zeiss fe 24-70, canon ltm sonnar 50/1.5, canon ltm 50/0.95, helios 50/2, mir 35/2, minolta 58/1.2, minolta 35-70/3.5, canon 35-105/3.5, canon 85/1.2, canon ts 35/2.8 and the fe 55 is on its way..i have waited for a long time for something like the a7/a7r and i really love em..:-)..

Post Thanks / Like

These are the lenses that now reside in my bag along with the A7 and NEX 7 with speedbooster. I see very few changes in this kit for the foreseeable future. And, since a picture is worth a thousand words...

RMC Tokina 17/3.5 (CY mount)

Yashica ML 28/2.8 (series 2)

Yashica ML 35/2.8 (series 1)

Yashica ML 50/1.7 (series 2)

Yashica ML Macro 55/4

Zeiss Jena Biotar 58/2 (M42 to CY adapter)

And btw thats not a typo. Yes I was shooting macro on the normal 50/1.7 and portraits on the Macro 55/4. Dont ask me to explain.
    Last edited by f/otographer; 4th April 2014 at 15:59.
    Likes 10 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Great topic, here is what I have for the A7 and A7r. I am open to some advice in certain areas:

18mm - OM18/3.5, I have been thinking of switching to the 19 Elmarit V2 or maybe the 21 Zeiss (are the Canon or Nikon versions better than the Contax versions?)
    28mm - Elmarit-R V2
    35mm - Elmarit-R E55, Contax f2.8 Distagon
    50mm - Noctilux-M F1, and 55FE
    90mm - Summicron-M pre-Asph

Zoom -28-79 Kit FE, came with my A7

I also have some Canon EF lenses but haven't gotten an adapter yet, but when I do, I will have the 100mm USM macro, and the 200L for longer needs. But still, I am thinking about getting a couple more R lenses - maybe the 60 Macro, 135 (Elmarit?), and maybe a 180mm (again, which one?)

Again, I welcome any advice on filling out the kit...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I would first get the Metabones III adapter for your Canon 100 macro and 200 and see what you need but you have a nice set now. The only thing I see is a fast 55 and nothing else that fast. Depending on need here

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    I would first get the Metabones III adapter for your Canon 100 macro and 200 and see what you need but you have a nice set now. The only thing I see is a fast 55 and nothing else that fast. Depending on need here
    I need to break down and get the smart adapter, and see what the old Canon can do...

For faster lenses, I have considered the Summilux 80, but I think it is too close to the 90 Cron and 2.0 is pretty close. I also have a CV 35 M-mount that is 1.2, but I haven't tested after seeing how bad most of my other Ms are, maybe I'll try it out, it would big a good match for the Noctilux - fast, big and heavy!

Post Thanks / Like

Your images my friend are far from being amateur.

BTW I hate and i mean hate the word amateur , its degrading and I never ever use it especially on this forum. Hobbyist yes as it is a financial description not a talent one. You got talent
    Thanks Guy for the kind words; coming from you it is indeed a compliment. I know that in your youth you spent some time on LBI (Long beach Island, NJ), and know the landscape. If in the area, I would be delighted to show you some of my favorite pictorial spots.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

I'm still trying to sort out my exodus from Canon-- I think I've settled into having a two-pronged approach-- one set for travel, one set for low light/ maximum IQ or two prongs one character lenses, one straight up sharpness...with some degree of overlap

A. Travel: VC 12mm, WATE, 35mm v3 Summicron, 50mm Summilux ASPH, 90mm Elmarit M

B. IQ/ character: WATE, VC 21mm f1.8, VC 35mm f1.2 vII, Noctilux f1.0 v4, 75mm Summilux, Canon 100mm f2.0 FDn, Canon 17mm TS-E

A few stragglers, VC 40mm f1.4, Olympus OM 24mm f2.8, 100mm f2.8, 200mm f5, Canon 135mm f3.5 LTM

Headed for sale: Canon 55mm f1.2 ASPH, Canon 50mm f0.95, VC 50mm f1.5 asph vII

As a side note, still experimenting with newly acquired mint 35mm Summicron v3, but it seems to be performing far better than reports I've read--

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GDI View Post
    Great topic, here is what I have for the A7 and A7r. I am open to some advice in certain areas:

18mm - OM18/3.5, I have been thinking of switching to the 19 Elmarit V2 or maybe the 21 Zeiss (are the Canon or Nikon versions better than the Contax versions?)
    28mm - Elmarit-R V2
    35mm - Elmarit-R E55, Contax f2.8 Distagon
    50mm - Noctilux-M F1, and 55FE
    90mm - Summicron-M pre-Asph

Zoom -28-79 Kit FE, came with my A7

I also have some Canon EF lenses but haven't gotten an adapter yet, but when I do, I will have the 100mm USM macro, and the 200L for longer needs. But still, I am thinking about getting a couple more R lenses - maybe the 60 Macro, 135 (Elmarit?), and maybe a 180mm (again, which one?)

Again, I welcome any advice on filling out the kit...
    I did have a chance to compare my Noctilux f1.0 with Marc Williams' (fotografz) f0.95 the other day. In our woefully imprecise testing on our A7rs, results were exactly as one would expect--the f0.95 was clearly sharper in the center, and more contrasty.

I was able, with some selective sharpening, to get them close, but not equal.

However, I was surprised at the difference in size/weight, with the 0.95 significantly (to me) heavier and bulkier.

In the end, I'm sticking with the f1.0, but if I didn't have the 50 lux asph, the choice between 0.95 and f1 might be more difficult.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mdg137 View Post
    I did have a chance to compare my Noctilux f1.0 with Marc Williams' (fotografz) f0.95 the other day. In our woefully imprecise testing on our A7rs, results were exactly as one would expect--the f0.95 was clearly sharper in the center, and more contrasty.

I was able, with some selective sharpening, to get them close, but not equal.

However, I was surprised at the difference in size/weight, with the 0.95 significantly (to me) heavier and bulkier.

In the end, I'm sticking with the f1.0, but if I didn't have the 50 lux asph, the choice between 0.95 and f1 might be more difficult.
    I like the look of the F1 with the Sonys - you're right that it is not as sharp ad contrasty as the 0.95. But I still like the old look (and the couple thousand dollars saved!), and I still have the sharp 55...

Post Thanks / Like

14mm Samyang in Nikon mount with Novoflex adapter
    17mm Can TSE with Metabones III
    21mm Zeiss f2.8 Nikon/Metabones
    27-70mm FE F4
    35mm FE F2.8
    50mm F1 Noctilux M with Novoflex
    50mm Leica R with mount changed to Nikon then Novoflexed
    55mm FE F1.8
    70-200mm FE F4 arriving imminently
    Leica M Macro Elmar 90mm F4 with Novoflex
    Kenko extension tubes

Oh cr*p. When I started typing this I was smug about having sold vast amounts of stuff and gotten down to a capsule lens cupboard. Reading the list makes me realise a) that I haven't and b) that I must have had over thirty lenses until recently.

I also have a funky old box of weird stuff that I mean to get to adapting, including a strange old catadioptric Canon lens. The shop window of my local dealer is full of stuff that costs almost nothing and might be fun just to buy'n'try.

Post Thanks / Like

I have all Zeiss leftover from my Canon kit. 15, 28, 50 macro, 85, 100 macro. The only Canon I kept was the 135 Soft focus. Metabones adapter.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm down to the following, for use with a7r and a99.:

Voigtlander Heliar 12 mm
    FE 55 mm f1.8 (Almost MF quality)
    FE 24-70 mm ZA OSS (Great general purpose lens between 28 and 65mm)
    A mount 24-70 mm f2.8 ZA (Sharper at wide angle than the FE version)
    A mount 70 mm Sigma Macro (Sharpest lens after the FE 55)
    A mount 70-400 mm G (Best long zoom ever!)

FE 70-200 mm on order.

LE4A adapter

I've sold all my Leica M lenses.The wides weren't good enough on the a7r and the longer lenses are covered by the FE 55 and the 70-200 FE on order. I will buy a decent wide angle in the 20 mm range but haven't decided what, yet. (Suggestions welcome!)

This brings me down to two systems from three - I'm still an MFDB guy at heart but the M system has gone. Loved it but didn't use it enough to justify keeping it in the closet.

As Thoreau said, simplify, simplify!

Bill

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Anybody have experience with the Voigtlander 21 mm f4 Color Skopar lens on the a7r?

I already have their M to E mount adapter so it might be a natural choice - or does it give colour shifts at the edges?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

'are the Canon or Nikon versions better than the Contax versions?'

They are more modern, have better coatings and an extra element to make up for the loss of the special glass in the Contax, are better wide open, less good from f4 down. Don't quite have the amazing low light shadow detail and impact of the CY. They are however very close, and 20 years newer. the ZE/ZFs are a better buy IMO, for resale and condition. Vet any CY 21mm carefully, it is a lens that is hard to not use a lot.

Anyone interested in why the Leica M wide angles don't work on our cameras, see p12-13 of the Zeiss white paper on the Distagons - linked below. There is also a very informative MTF chart of the Contax 21mm and text on p6:

'Its performance, particularly the perfect correction of lateral chromatic aberration, was achieved solely by the combination of very special (and expensive) high index glass types with glass types displaying extremely high anomalous partial dispersion.'

The old-fashioned way, and they are rightly proud! It was likely a similar effort as that they put in for the Otus.

There is a good discussion on the (then new) 25mm f2 Distagon on page p6-p8.

http://blogs.zeiss.com/photo/en/wp-c...s_Distagon.pdf

Post Thanks / Like

Guy, thought provoking post.

Where am I now. For the first time thinking of adding a body rather than a lens which is not the best way to use my money. The reason, the draw of the A7r over the A7. Mind you, as I don't exactly have the funds to do this right now I am also hoping that by the time I do make a buying decision that a A7x with the same sensor as the RX1R might be available.

Working with the Ricoh GR has convinced me that sensors without AA filters are the way to go.

As far as lenses go all I really lack at present is a mid-range primes, say in the 90-135 range. I have the CV21/1.8 for wide, FE 35 for everyday, FE 55 for detail, landscape or portrait work. I have a C-90/4 for a medium telephoto but I have to say it is a poor performer. I might do better to swap it for a 90/2.8 but I'm loathe to try and would rather wait until FE or other third party AF lenses catch up.

LouisB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by f/otographer View Post
    These are the lenses that now reside in my bag along with the A7 and NEX 7 with speedbooster. I see very few changes in this kit for the foreseeable future. And, since a picture is worth a thousand words...

RMC Tokina 17/3.5 (CY mount)

Yashica ML 28/2.8 (series 2)

Yashica ML 35/2.8 (series 1)

Yashica ML 50/1.7 (series 2)

Yashica ML Macro 55/4

Zeiss Jena Biotar 58/2 (M42 to CY adapter)

And btw thats not a typo. Yes I was shooting macro on the normal 50/1.7 and portraits on the Macro 55/4. Dont ask me to explain.
    ..something that has to be said: following your posts in the diverse threads over time imho you are posting really great artwork..what i do like especially is the fine sense of humour that comes with the titles of your photos (titles lacking in this post but present in most of the others) and makes every one of them even stronger..please keep up the really fine work..

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wait for announcements today as rumor has it a 85 FE maybe announced. Outside of that almost any modern 85,90 is going to be good if not great. Big reason this focal length is a very easy lens design to make so almost all brands have a good one. Leica M there are several, cron, elmarit and in the R mount a awesome cron. I use the ZA 85 1.4 with Sony adapter which is a great lens but a little CA wide open but a easy fix too. The Zeiss 85 1.4 in canon/Nikon mount is also very good and used not a bad price. Voightlander 90 apo is said to be good. Might even want to look at Oly 90 another good one. There are a bunch out there even in the Minolta brand. I want to get a more travel worthy one myself. Maybe a 90 elmarit or pre asph cron. But I got this feeling the FE just might service today. Let's see what happens as I would jump on a 85 1.4 FE in a NY minute myself. As I said in my initial post I'm playing it safe with the ZA mount so depending on the cams that are rumored I can go either direction. I would not mind replacing the A7 with a new SLT body for speed reasons the A7r is my main workhorse though but I look to the A7 or replacement as my AF speed cam.

Post Thanks / Like

@ f/otographer: brilliant images, all. My faves #1 and 2.
    Kit Laughlin, www.StretchTherapy.net/, www.KitLaughlin.com/bodypress/

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a Leica fan and I love use my M lens on my 7R
    Wide: WATE
    Standard: 50luxA, old Elmar, APO
    Tele: 75luxV1, 135hektor
    Leica | Angenieux | Alpa | Hasselblad | Phase One
    www.raymondchak.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Right now the lenses are as following:
    14-24mm Nikon AF-S G-ED
    (stay tuned soon more about that - heavy TS mod coming ! )
    Canon FD SSC 2.0/28mm
    Samyang 1.4/35mm VDSLR
    Revuenon(=Vivitar VMC) 1,2/55mm
    Nikon AF-D 2,8/60mm Micro
    Canon new FD-L 1,2/85mm
    Nikon AF-D 2,8/105mm Micro
    Canon new FD 2.0/135mm
    Canon new FD 2,8/200mm
    Canon new FD 4.0/200 Makro
    Canon new FD 4.0/300

plus a ton of other ones like e.g. the Mamiya 645/80mm Makro and the Mamiya 645 1,9/80mm, the Mamiya645 4/120mm.
    and of course the 3 Zeiss Hartblei´s 40,80 120mm

But really my favourites are now 1,2/55mm, 1,2/85mm and 1,4/35mm
    I get addicted to the wide open stuff....... tilted.

Greetings from Germany
    Stefan
    because photography is more than technology - and " as we have done this all the time "
    facebook:hcam.de - www.hcam.de - www.hartblei.de

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

here's my small A7R Kit...:

Zeiss FE Sonnar 2.8/35
    Contax PC-Distagon 2.8/35
    Zeiss ZM Planar 2.0/50
    Zeiss ZM Tele-Tessar 4/85
    (... returned 2 FE Sonnar 1.8/55's (decentered)).

Surprisingly... the longer I use the A7R Kit the more I love my MFD systems (though sensor-wise from 2005...).

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hmmm
    Well
    24-70 F4 FE
    55 f1.8 FE
    WATE
    35 'lux FLE
    50 'lux FLE
    50 0.95 Nocti
    75 'cron Asph
    90 M elmarit
    35-70 f4 Leica R
    60 f2.8 Leica R macro
    80-200 F4 Leica R
    180 F2.8 Leica R APO

These lenses all worked well on the A7 (I have others which don't)

BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT

I'm bailing out - I understand all the IQ plusses, but I also understand the ergonomic and functional minuses (principally IBIS). So I'm quietly selling my A7 and FE lenses and going back to where I was (Leica M240 bodies and an Olympus E-M1 for those other occasions where I'd like long focal lengths at long shutter speeds).

It's been so much fun on the Sony forum - pioneering I guess and definitely vibrant, with lots of killer images. But in the end it isn't for me - perhaps I just don't have the skill to take advantage of it - whatever - I'm passing, and the non-Sony lenses will stay and be used on the M240 and the E-M1

all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

All the best Jono, on the next phase of the journey. You sure don't lack skill either, despite your modesty.

BOT, on my journeys I get by with:

a7r plus
    Contax 21/2.8
    RX1
    FE55
    100/3.5

and very happy with this light and versatile setup.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by psy501 View Post
    ..something that has to be said: following your posts in the diverse threads over time imho you are posting really great artwork..what i do like especially is the fine sense of humour that comes with the titles of your photos (titles lacking in this post but present in most of the others) and makes every one of them even stronger..please keep up the really fine work..
    psy, thank you very much for these incredibly kind words. I had actually missed this post for the last few days and upon seeing it when I checked the forum at work this morning (at which things were a bit rough) my day was immeasurably brightened upon reading them.

I am very glad you enjoy the titles. I name almost every photo that I end up keeping. Sometimes for the imagery or the mood it makes me feel, or even for song lyrics that pop into my head as I process it. I actually took criticism on another site when one member said he liked the images I posted but didnt like the "Flickr" titles I gave them. To which I replied that one mans prose is another mans doggerel.

Again, my thanks.

@ kit, thanks to you as well. Im very glad to have been able to capture my little girl in #2 and I am quite proud of that shot. Glad it speaks to you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    I'm bailing out
    Yup..... me too!! I would give a hundred bucks to see the sigh on Guy's face but I'm done with the shutter vibration. Maybe you guys can put up with it. Many obviously use the camera in ways differently than me but the vibration issue is just too much for me. Maybe the next iteration will be much better..... if it wasn't for the shutter vibration I would keep the camera in a heartbeat. So for now its my compilation of Zeiss lenses - OTUS included - and my 800e.

Victor

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Dang Victor, sorry to see you exit this system.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono, I will miss your input to the Sony forum. However, I completely understand your reasons for getting out of the system. It is capable of exceptional image quality, but there is more to it than that - at least there is for me.

I got along great with the RX1 and, now, regret selling it to jump into the. A7r system. For some reason which I can't pinpoint, I am having difficulty getting comfortable with the new system. I don't know how long I can hold out. If me and the system don't start getting in sync soon then I will be ditching it as well. And it is not about the image quality.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gowin View Post
    Jono, I will miss your input to the Sony forum. However, I completely understand your reasons for getting out of the system. It is capable of exceptional image quality, but there is more to it than that - at least there is for me.

I got along great with the RX1 and, now, regret selling it to jump into the. A7r system. For some reason which I can't pinpoint, I am having difficulty getting comfortable with the new system. I don't know how long I can hold out. If me and the system don't start getting in sync soon then I will be ditching it as well. And it is not about the image quality.
    Hi Mark
    I've really tried. I like the cameras, and the feel, and of course the lovely IQ, But I think there are too many functional compromises I have to make to get that IQ.

It's really my personal issue: for me the most important thing is the content (and what helps me to get it). .......

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gowin View Post

Mark, I am with you. I found myself preferring the rx1r and am looking to go get one for my fiancée. The A7 had too many functional niggles for me in the end, but IQ was truly spectacular....I have settled on my M9 and MM, with the fuji x-t1 and ricoh to back up. The fuji is truly a joy to use, and I will live with aps-c given the camera's fantastic haptics, and for me, joy of use.

Jono, I wondered about wellness of fit. I am starting to play more and more with the idea of finally getting an M240.... Just need to find on at a fair but used price ....
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Post Thanks / Like

Here's where I'm at, sorted by lens mount. All with the A7.

M:
    21/3.4 Super-Elmar: great, in spite of the edge smearing
    28/2 Summicron-M: on the fence
    CV35/1.2: very happy though it's heavy
    ZM50/2: like it a lot but it's got veiling flare issues
    135/4 Elmar: great bargain, if long

R:

R35/2: great character esp. short distance
    R60/2.8: very versatile
    R80/1.4: also super versatile, fave of the 3

F:

ZF100/2: big, has CA issues, don't like the far-distance focus ratio. going to sell
    CV125/2.5: new to me, a legend for macro, finding I get flare from the front filter threads, going to black them out
    CV180/4: relatively tiny and high-quality.

G:

G90/2.8: great optically, and great size. I don't take it much because of the R80 though.

Looking forward, I am eagerly awaiting the new Zeiss FE manual-focus lenses. I'm planning on selling the R35 and ZF100. I'm not sure if I'll use the CV125 enough to justify the cost. I'm finding myself tempted to get a T/S wide angle, the TSE 17 is attractive but has obvious downsides (large, expensive, and I'd need a Metabones adapter). I thought that my Nex-7 + Touit 12/2.8 would be OK as an 18mm equivalent, but it is a pretty bulky "item" in the small camera bag (compared to just a lens). And the AF drives me nuts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ashwinrao1 View Post
    ...I am starting to play more and more with the idea of finally getting an M240....
    the plot thickens!
    Ed

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ashwin and Jonon, thank you for your replies and it is re-assuring to know that I am not the only one sorting out kits. It is a Photokina year so there should be some new options coming along this summer. I am resisting the urge to get back into a Leica M system to supplement my S system. I have tried to find a low cost alternative to the M for the last 2 or 3 years and haven't been able to hit on the right mix of image quality and ergonomics/zen with camera. I have shot with the MM and M240 a few times and there was instant connection with both.

It will be interesting to see what happens. I am afraid there will be a lot of competition for my photography budget this year. In the mean time, I have two very capable systems even if one is not as loved as the other.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Personally, I can take the A7R, or leave it. It's been more of a nice practical solution for my current needs.

I sold my M9-P then passed on the M240 for IQ reasons I've already mentioned. Besides, Rangefinder work for me has skewed to B&W, so the M Monochrome killed any interest in paying $7K for the addition of color. Popping this little camera into the MM case with the VM/CU adapter to use with the M21/1.4 ASPH, M50/0.95, M75AA or M90/2.8 suits me just fine.

No color M left me without a small easy to tote little camera to toss in the basket when bicycling around town, walking the dog in the country side, or just strolling on vacation … albeit one that delivers BIG "just in case" … mostly using the three FE AF lenses.

I only have three paying wedding/event jobs left this year where I'll need a suitable companion camera to my A99 using any of the ZAs on the A7R via the LAEA-4 adapter. Then it is full retirement from weddings, and I'll just be doing portraits and some personal projects … which is why my focus has been on continuing to build the Leica S system.

When the last wedding is shot, I'll FINALLY exit the whole 35mm DSLT/SLT category, and get it down to my Leica MM and S plus this little mouse of a camera for all the incidental color stuff.

That the A7R can jump from the Sony SLT bag to the Leica MM bag makes it an appealing and practical solution for now.

- Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Opposite thoughts. No way I will be buying back into a M style cam . Too much money for no real gain. It will not do jobs and right now I'm not retiring anytime soon. I just shot and one more day left a convention here in Phoenix mostly stills and some video. Both cams in use and they are doing a great job except on video I wish I had the new S the lighting in these break out rooms is almost pitch black I could really use the high ISO on it. One thing I have noticed lighting levels to save money and energy has dropped the output. The show floor is ISO 1600 at around 5.6 with maybe 1/60 of a second. Other than that doing a great job and I'm starting to like these Sonys. Honestly I'm over everything else and I see no new anything worth any tech upgrade from anyone in 35 than Sony.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Opposite thoughts. No way I will be buying back into a M style cam . Too much money for no real gain. It will not do jobs and right now I'm not retiring anytime soon. I just shot and one more day left a convention here in Phoenix mostly stills and some video. Both cams in use and they are doing a great job except on video I wish I had the new S the lighting in these break out rooms is almost pitch black I could really use the high ISO on it. One thing I have noticed lighting levels to save money and energy has dropped the output. The show floor is ISO 1600 at around 5.6 with maybe 1/60 of a second. Other than that doing a great job and I'm starting to like these Sonys. Honestly I'm over everything else and I see no new anything worth any tech upgrade from anyone in 35 than Sony.
    VERY strange we converge again Guy, but I am 100% on board with you on this. I am selling off everything else, and going 100% Sony as soon as possible. After getting the chance to shoot the A7S, all of my former impossible haunts in low light clubs late at night now become not only possible, but a virtual certainty. How can I say no to that?

I'm down for the count, hat in the ring. Bring 'em on Sony!

Post Thanks / Like

Jono, Ashwin, and Mark, you're only about 1/2 step ahead of me. I originally bought A7 to use with M lenses, supplementing M9 when I needed higher ISOs. I even thought I could sell my Luxes and get by with Crons, because of Sony's higher ISOs. But I soon I found myself singing in the A7/M chorus of disappointment. Since then I've been on an unsatisfying quest for the 'right' lenses (now, IMO, Leica R &/or C/Y Zeiss).

But it dawned on me – only yesterday! – that for all the time wasted on this, I could just buy a used M240, use it at 1600 when necessary, and be done with Sony lens quests/tests.

For now on A7, I'm using mostly 40 Summicron; also 28 M mount Hexanon, 35 CV 1.2, and 50 pre-asph Lux. All of these cover the corners, and I don't see/use either very wide or very telly. I own the 35FE, but it's too 'clinical' for my taste, which was shaped by older M lenses.

It's an odd way to 'simplify,' but I may finally switch to M240 and start using 28 Cron and 35 FLE again in available light.

Post Thanks / Like

Right now I have the following:

WATE
    Leica R 28/2.8
    Zeiss FE 35/2.8
    CV 35/1.2
    Zeiss FE24-70
    Zeiss FE 55 1.8
    Leica M 90/2 Apo

I have the 70-200/4 on order and am trying to resist picking up a M 75 Lux.

Debating about keeping the R 28/2.8

I reluctantly sold my M 50 Lux as I was not using it enough to keep it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The low light is very interesting indeed. My regular bottom settings are ISO 6400, 1/60s and f1.8 - LV 2. The colour and tones are pretty decent at ISO 6400. It opened a lot of new photography avenues, that even the a99 can't do.

The a7s tops out (Sony says) at ISO 409,600; the a7r top is ISO 25,600 - so four stops more. If this translates into our ISO 6400 noise levels being equal at ISO 51,200 that is a huge incentive for certain types of shooting where flash is forbidden (my situation) or undesirable (bars, clubs, family get togethers etc.) - even two stops would be big. Nothing looks better than soft lighting shot au naturel, Hollywood has been onto this for decades. ;-)

Sony will wear everyone down given a year or two of this. Maybe a 12MP RX1s will appear - for ultimate stealth?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy, IMO you are a practical thinking pro, and while you like gear a lot, camera choices tend to be applied directly to need rather than cameras as "entertainment".

I'm still in that more practical mode of thinking also. When I finish my last wedding at year's end, it's the bigger 35mm stuff that'll go bye-bye as I will have less practical considerations to account for.

The A7R will stick around as long as I have a need for it … which I do not see diminishing anytime soon. No getting around it, the size/performance equation is the undeniable draw for me. Little bag, nice high-performance system in a nut-shell.

Plus, this is just the beginning. If the current Sony's don't enthrall, wait a while. Next Gen are coming sooner than later. It's the Sony way. I also see nothing coming from the other companies that'll stem this tide.

While I'm a die-in-the-wool Leica M rangefinder shooter, and for my purposes (even paying ones), a M is a consideration … I just can't hack those prices without some sort of practical return in IQ. I actually am profoundly dissapointed that the M240 IQ didn't please me … but that's the way it worked out. Fortunately, the M Monochrom came along to scratch that rangefinder itch

IMHO.

- Marc

Post Thanks / Like

I burned significantly more money going in and out of systems over the last four years than my M9 depreciated during the same period. I took delivery of the M240 two weeks ago and the A7r and M9 will go on sale soon. My take from the never ending search for "the perfect solution": The M system is costly, but in the end less expensive than anything else, at least for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello All,

This is my first post on this forum, but I’ve been reading your valuable advice and looking at stunning photos for at least half a year. Thanks.

My current lens sets for the A7 are following:

Lightweight travel kit:
    OM 24/2.8
    FE 35/2.8
    FE 55/1.8
    Contax G 90/2.8

Bang for buck Zeiss kit:
    C/Y 28/2.8
    C/Y 50/1.4
    C/Y 85/1.4
    C/Y 135/2.8

Minolta A-mount lenses for my A850:
    20/2.8, 28/2.0, 35/2.0, 50/1.4, 100/2.0, 200/2.8 APO + zooms 17-35G, 28-135/4-4.5, 28-75/2.8, 70-300G

And the odd Minolta W.Rokkor-SI 24/2.8 and Nikkor Ai 135/2.0 which are not a part of any kit, but will surely find their use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So, as long it is still going on, i want more recommendations or help or suggestions or guide or whatever you call it about another lens to buy for Sony A7r, i just ordered FE 55mm 1.8 and Metabones adapter to use my Canon lens, but beside those two options, what else i should think about? The problem i shoot a lot landscapes as i said and nightshots and travel and some of street/people when travel, 55mm is great but it will not be that Whole-all usage lens anyway.
    Tareq