The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with FE 55mm 1.8

MikalWGrass

Chad, great second shot!!

Rawfa, your mom looks great!! There is an underwater housing available for the a6000 that I may pick up if I get the a6000 and the 55/1.8

johnnygoesdigital

That's odd, but DXO now has the 55 mm 1.8 FE lens as #10 on their ratings. Not long ago it was the #2 lens, almost scoring as high as the Otus. Even more strange is that it now placed behind many other lenses that it previously scored above!?

Knorp

That's odd, but DXO now has the 55 mm 1.8 FE lens as #10 on their ratings. Not long ago it was the #2 lens, almost scoring as high as the Otus. Even more strange is that it now placed behind many other lenses that it previously scored above!?
The way the FE lenses are put together it doesn't surprise me at all ... :(

Kind regards.

dwood

Maybe this is some kind of error on the DXO site but to be honest, I don't care if it's 500th on their list. This lens is spectacular!

Annna T

The ranking may be different depending upon the sensor on which it was tested. So did you take notice of the sensor/lens pairs ?

May be that there are some new great lenses or great sensors issued since the karst time you looked at the ranking ?

Edit :

Is that the page at which you were looking ? http://www.dxomark.com/Reviews/Best-lenses-for-the-Nikon-D800E-The-sharpest-full-frame-camera-ever-measured/Best-DxOMark-sharpness-rankings

johnnygoesdigital

I agree it's a great lens - the best FF lens i've used in this FL.

AnnaT, i just went on the lens ratings tab like i've done so many times before. When it rated #2, it was paired with the A7r. With that combo it beat many other's too like the D800/Sigma 35mm 1.4 (which is also an insanely good lens), and the 85mm 1.4 G. Regardless, i'm getting a little frustrated by the lack of good wide FE primes. I'm not against adapters, but it negates the compact FF idea.

philber

Guys, maybe I need some help here. I tried the 55FE, wanting to love it, and was disappointed, so I didn't buy. I held out for 4 months and caved in. Now I own it, and can't find a way to love it. Sure, it is pleasant to sue, very sharp and all that. My issue is weak colour differentiation/discrimination. Meaning, when I shoot a scene with small color variations, like multiple buildings with different shadings of the same colour, the FE55 just doesn't give me the whole gamut the way my FE35 does. I found this on the 3 I tested, so it can't be a case of single bad lens. What are your findings? Do you cure this in PP?

ZoranC

I personally haven't noticed any issues with "color differentiation" when shooting with my 55/1.8 so I didn't do any extensive checks/comparisons. When you notice this are you comparing SOOC JPGs or you are developing RAWs? Only thing I noticed is that 35/2.8 seems to be having more aggressive "lens correction".

philber

I shoot RAWs. I developped some of them in LightRoom and some in Capture One, and get the same "issue", or lack of performance, rather, with both

ZoranC

Hmmm... is there a way you could show us example of it? Based on that I could try to reproduce it with my 55/1.8 and 35/2.8.

My issue is weak colour differentiation/discrimination. Meaning, when I shoot a scene with small color variations, like multiple buildings with different shadings of the same colour, the FE55 just doesn't give me the whole gamut the way my FE35 does. I found this on the 3 I tested, so it can't be a case of single bad lens. What are your findings? Do you cure this in PP?
I am not the expert here, but what you are describing sounds like the effect that Sean Reid was talking about regarding high contrast lenses like Zeiss.

According to Sean, if I remember correctly, high contrast lenses essentially pre-process the image. They tend to crush the shadows and yield a much snappier image right off the bat. Medium contrast lenses do less up-front processing, allowing a more "complete" pallet, but a more flat image.

I don't know if this is "the truth" but it seems to resonate with what you are experiencing.

Best regards,
DGM