The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A6000 vs secondhand NEX 7 /A77

UHDR

Hi all,

I have a 70-400G lying around, and i think it's time to get back into birding since now the weather improved (in UK).

I previously used the lens with NEX F3 and found the AF abit slow. the F3 died during one of the trip to iceland, so now im looking for something to replace it.

A6000 body-only is around 550GBP. and secondhand NEX 7/ A77 is around 400GBP.

I know A6000 has a new super-duper AF system, but would it be any good if i use LA-EA2 with it? will the mirror system in the adaptor override the AF system in body?

another thing im considering is the EVF, Nex 7 has a higher resolution. (I'm also Fuji XE1 user, so i think 2million dots does make a difference). Will I miss this on the A6000?

also, A77 will have IBIS which will also help at long end, but do you feel it is worth the extra weight?

pegelli

I think having IBIS for handholding your 70-400 will be much needed, so if that is the case really the A77 is the only option.

In case you do everything from a tripod/gimbal head this is less of an issue.

Indeed for the NEX and A6000 the LA-EA2 will override the camera CDAF, and use the (much faster) PDAF that is built in the adapter.

Ulfric Douglas

I know A6000 has a new super-duper AF system, but would it be any good if i use LA-EA2 with it? will the mirror system in the adaptor override the AF system in body?
I know nothing,
but would expect anything with any adapter to nullify the reported AF-speed improvements on the new a6000

Also, EVF resolution isn't the most important factor : having tried plenty of EVFs, each one suits my eye differently and there is no shortcut : there is no way of knowing : you have to try it.
For example, my eye absolutely hates the NEX7 EVF, suits the G1 and VF-2, and really liked the GX7. A7 EVF was "meh", E-M1 EVF was lovely.
There just isn't any way of predicting those responses by reading resolution and magnification figures.

UHDR

Thanks for the input guys.

Just tested the LAEA2 last night, it looks like it was also broken when i dropped the F3....

in which case, i think A77 would be the winner since i dont want to throw another 1XXGBP and get another LAEA....

once again, thanks for your input :D