The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7r screen and viewfinder went black, today!

m_driscoll

I was out in the garden shooting with the A7r that I picked up a week and a half ago and the EVF and screen went totally black? Couldn't get the menu, or, anything else to come up. Changed batteries, put a different SD card in, and sacrificed a chicken, but, nothing.

At my camera store, they tried (without the chicken) to get it going. Nothing (although that's usually when the problem that you were having doesn't evidence itself). They hadn't seen anything like this before. Gave me a new one and they're sending that one back to Sony.

BTW: it was still taking pictures when the screen was black.

Anybody had any problems like this with their A7/A7r?

Cheers, Matt

reflectedlights

I did have a strange clitch yesterday. Was using it for sports, and the screen kept flashing on and off. Changed batteries..same thing. Shut off wait 30 secs and all seemed back to normal. Not sure what happened, but it seemed to be bouncing back and forth between EVF and screen when I wasn't holding it near my face. And this is something I have noticed...in the date time...I keep loosing an hour. Anyone else seen internal clock issues?

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I got my A7r from HK, before they were available in US. I had a charged battery waiting for it when it arrived. I tried shooting, but kept having a problem with it asking me to reset the clock. I put it on the corded charger for the night. My gut feeling is that if you are just putting your batteries on an external charger, you may have to actually hook the camera to the corded charger once in a while to charge that internal battery. I have never done it again, but if one starts to have trouble with the clock, I'd try that first before I sent it in for service. Matt's problem was probably a different story.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Cindy just maybe correct here and certainly would not hurt at all to charge the internal. Dang I better try it myself as well as I never done this

m_driscoll

Cindy: That's probably a good cautionary idea. I did have it on the USB charger for about an hour before I went to the camera store. Still nothing.

Cheers, Matt

Knorp

Now, I've no solution to this issue, just saying I never used internal charging and I have my A7r since last year November 22.
As with other cameras I suppose the internal battery here too will be charged by the main battery.

Kind regards.

reflectedlights

Now, I've no solution to this issue, just saying I never used internal charging and I have my A7r since last year November 22.
As with other cameras I suppose the internal battery here too will be charged by the main battery.

Kind regards.
That's what I assumed.....it will be interesting if it does solve the issue.