The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Did the Sony A7R make you say goodbye...

Stefan Steib

What Sony has started here is a gamechanger, no less than that.

I can use all my Canon EF Glass, I got some nice additional bright FD lenses, can use my Hartbleis and even go for other stuff from about ANY maker.

Image quality is spectacular, after some initial trying I found my settings now.

I still have my 5DMK2 because it is modified for IR/UV and no Antiaiasing filter, but I use this only when I can´t go Sony, so it gets less and less.

And yes I also believe they will do an A9 one day.
Whatever the pixelcount will be, or what that will use to focus or transfer data, I still could live with that A7r for the next years and be very happy with it.

Much more camera than this is rarely needed, if ever.

Greetings from Germany
Stefan

Last edited:

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I held it first and found myself almost allergic to it.
Nevertheless I borrowed one for a week and liked it even less.
No, I am shooting my D800/e and appreciate it more than ever.
-bob

Last edited:

philip_pj

Interest came from everywhere.

Down-shifters from MFD/D800/5D3, cross-shifters from RX1/a99 and up-shifters from NEX and m43. It sometimes seems everyone finds something to dislike, in a glass half empty way. Sony will however feel heartened by all this, it shows they are close to having universal appeal in overall design and performance terms.

These are paradigm shifting cameras that attracted attention on a huge scale but they really force users to reassess what they want in a camera, deep down. So many of us saw them as appealing but a lot of people realised they were after a different experience - that the photographic experience is more to them than super image quality in a small package.

In Sony's accelerated release cycle, it is easy to overlook that this is an entirely new kind of camera, an entirely new full frame system, the first in...how long? The photo world is resistant to change, tradition counts, people are relatively happy with their current systems, they are disturbed by the newness and the strangeness of this odd little camera that takes almost all lenses and transforms images from them. Even the maker's name is a four letter word.

That will all change in a year or so as the system gains legitimacy, fleshes out accessories and flash (OEM and aftermarket), more top end lenses appear, new FE cameras appear. It's likely many will be back at some stage, and it is up to Sony to demonstrate they are ready to do the extra things well to address the complaints that are authentic and not mere pretexts to not buy in.

Offering super image quality, value for money, engineering and build quality is not a bad place to start though is it?

LensRentals.com - The A7R teardown: A look inside Sony’s awesome full-frame mirrorless camera

Time and technological change is on their side. If they get this next phase right, the catch up for the others could become a mountain to climb. Sony are already up at advanced base camp.

4season

I actually sold my Leica M9 and most of my lenses awhile back when I was shooting with the Sony NEX7. But if that camera hadn't convinced me to switch, the A7 would have.

I think that the older I get, the more I need to to challenge myself by trying new things and new ways of doing things, even if they seem a bit alien at first.

For better or worse, Sony is still a relative newcomer to cameras, compared to manufacturers that specialize in this field. We are less bound by a regard for camera heritage or traditions. We maintain the attitude that we should innovate, in a positive sense.
Takuya Niitsu
Creative Center
Executive Art Director
Sony Corporation​

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I just shot a big food job where focus stacking was the order of the day. The Sony tethered to capture one with a hot folder setup. What's nice is live view stay on so I started my focus with focus peaking at the beginning of my subject shot than just watch the focus peaking mask get to my next point of focus. I do this for about 4 or 5 diffrent focus points than blend them. The Sony is a cake walk like this.

ZeDi

Sold my beloved Canon 5DMKII and 100mm macro for the A7R with 50mm and 24-70. I am very pleased with the outcome and the way the Sony fits in my hands, but wasn't unhappy with the Canon. Weight and dimensions made me switch.

jonoslack

I held it first and found myself almost allergic to it.
Nevertheless I borrowed one for a week and liked it even less.
No, I am shooting my D800/e and appreciate it more than ever.
-bob
:ROTFL::ROTFL:
it takes all types - certainly, my experience with it is now over (although I'm keeping the 24-70 and 55 in case Sony bring out a body which is nice to shoot with (instead of just making nice images).

Recently gone back to shooting the M(240) and it's such a relaxing pleasure.
Ker-Chang!
:p

fotografz

:ROTFL::ROTFL:
it takes all types - certainly, my experience with it is now over (although I'm keeping the 24-70 and 55 in case Sony bring out a body which is nice to shoot with (instead of just making nice images).

Recently gone back to shooting the M(240) and it's such a relaxing pleasure.
Ker-Chang!
:p
I can fully appreciate that Jono. When I did a job earlier in the year, I was shooting with the A7R with the 35 and 50, and then decided to do a portion with the M Mono … and it was a vivid reminder of the difference … I much preferred the M shooting experience.

- Marc

harmsr

Workshop Member
Got to agree with Jono & Mark. I've sold the Sony A7/A7R gear, as I just didn't enjoy the experience.

For where I can use them, my favorites are the M240/0.95 Nocti & RX1r.

Ray

johnnygoesdigital

Maybe if you're shooting just the spectators ... :D
This skier was moving and turning pretty fast because of the steep grade, but the Sony was able to capture the moment with ease. Much faster than my D800 and much better AF too. Actually for sports the A7 is my first choice for remote hiking and ski sports. Perhaps you haven't used the settings specifically for fast action. The Sony A6000 is even faster...

Last edited:

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

After a lot of soul-searching, because I really like Leica, I sold my M9 and all my M lenses.

But the reasons are complex. First, I shoot MFDB whenever it's practical, so the M was a second system. (Well, actually third, as I have an a99 for wildlife.) The Leica was my go-to system when I wanted light weight and speed without a tripod. I love the feel of the M and the lenses are just flawless, but at heart I discovered I'm not really an RF guy and I wasn't actually using the system much.

When the a7r came along I bought it out of curiosity and because I already had a bunch of A mount lenses. The epiphany came when I tried the EF 55 f1.8 - the first standard lens that matched the IQ of my 50 'Lux - and gave me AF. The longer M lenses worked on it beautifully but the wides sucked unless I used an LCC plate.

Then the FE 24-70 OSS debuted and suddenly I had a truly lightweight system with (for my purposes) more versatility than the M, though not yet with decent WA lenses. (I'm waiting for those!)

So I sold the M and 6 M lenses for about what I paid for them and have downsized to two systems - although one could argue that the A7r and a99 are one and a half systems!

I still mourn the M to a small degree but then I go shoot with the a7r and feel really good.

And of course I am a member in good standing of Gear Sluts Anonymous...

Bill