Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have the FE 70-200/F4 yet?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Anyone have the FE 70-200/F4 yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Caulfeild-Browne View Post
    I should point out that, much as I like this zoom, it's nowhere near the resolution of the extraordinary FE 55 f1.8!
    I wouldn't use the words "nowhere near" to describe the one I received this afternoon.

The big brown truck arrived late today and delivered my lens. My first impressions are very positive - excellent build quality (comparable to Canon and Nikon equivalents), fast AF, removable tripod foot, IS and AF integrated well with the a7R (including vernier manual focus fine tuning), shorter and lighter than Canon 70-200mm f/4L IS with Metabones III adapter.

Ill likely be using this lens a lot, and I particularly like the 200mm end of the focal length range. I predict that after another day or two of testing Ill likely sell the Canon zoom (but keep the Metabones III).

Here's a handheld example, focus point (AF) was the bud in the center of the photo

And a 100% crop from the center:

No noise reduction applied, so please pardon any noise that disturbs you. Resolution looks excellent.

Tomorrow I'll check test the corners and different apertures. So far, so good.

Joe

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Looks good Joe. Keeping a eye on your reports
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Now can you tell me if the AF points get close to the edges like the 55 1.8. I just need to get like 3/4 the way there so the AF points hits the face on a vertical.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Colson View Post
    I wouldn't use the words "nowhere near" to describe the one I received this afternoon.

The big brown truck arrived late today and delivered my lens. My first impressions are very positive - excellent build quality (comparable to Canon and Nikon equivalents), fast AF, removable tripod foot, IS and AF integrated well with the a7R (including vernier manual focus fine tuning), shorter and lighter than Canon 70-200mm f/4L IS with Metabones III adapter.

Ill likely be using this lens a lot, and I particularly like the 200mm end of the focal length range. I predict that after another day or two of testing Ill likely sell the Canon zoom (but keep the Metabones III).

Here's a handheld example, focus point (AF) was the bud in the center of the photo

No noise reduction applied, so please pardon any noise that disturbs you. Resolution looks excellent.

Tomorrow I'll check test the corners and different apertures. So far, so good.

Joe
    I'm glad you and Bill like the lens. I'm always a bit hesitant to give a thumbs up with one of the first reviews, but I felt the lens warranted it.

It's an easy lens to love and shoot with. After all the negative reactions to the 24-70, it looks like Sony has a winner here.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Joe, Bill and dandrewk - many thanks - the lens does indeed look promising. I'll hold off the GAS for a little while but no doubt will succumb , and sell the Nikon equivalent

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shac View Post
    Joe, Bill and dandrewk - many thanks - the lens does indeed look promising. I'll hold off the GAS for a little while but no doubt will succumb , and sell the Nikon equivalent
    My Nikon 70-200 f2.8 is about to hit the auction block.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

GLWS

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Now can you tell me if the AF points get close to the edges like the 55 1.8. I just need to get like 3/4 the way there so the AF points hits the face on a vertical.
    Since the focusing on this lens is sensor based there is no difference to the FE55; place the focus point where you want and AF. I've had my FE 70-200 for a week now and absolutely love the AF freedom on vertical use (compared to my LA-EA4 + 85/1.4). Have only tested the lens on A7R so far, need to find time to put it to my A6000 for some AF-C/tracking work.

The OSS on this lens is very very good; IMO it is about same level as the new Canon hybrid IS on Canon 100/2.8L IS Macro. Our cat volunteered to pose for test shots and I nailed her eye details to very good level (pixel peepable with 36 MP of the A7R) with 1/13 shutter speed at max zoom eg. 200 mm. OSS helps the MF a lot too on longer zoom; compared to my 70-400 the MF is so much nicer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A couple more test shots, both handheld, to check center sharpness. I manually focused both (on the front face of the birdhouse) because I believe manual focusing with focus magnification and focus peaking on the a7R to be more accurate than AF. Just my opinion.

70mm:

100% crop from center:

200mm:

100% crop from center:

So far, I'm happy with the results of my tests. I haven't tested with a planar target or with apertures other than f/8. Stay tuned.

The LR Develop preset that I've been using is here if you'd like to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Guy, as "tn1krr" reported, the AF points can be moved to the edges.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Awesome folks , exactly what I wanted to hear. Given the runway shows I do which are big productions and me being one of the owners of the company I have control over the production of the light output so in those shows F4 would work. In normal life with podium crap F4 maybe a issue, Bottom line not sure I can get rid of the 135 1.8 for it, not that I want to anyway but it was a thought. Ill probably rent this when I need it for the shows. Im just not the biggest fan of zooms although they are handy dandy sometimes. I may even just get a 200 2.8 Minolta but again not sure I can get the AF points I need and that is the wall I am running into with A mounts and the Sony 4 adapter. Sony needs to come out with a new adapter to get the A glass to the FE cameras Af points out to the edges. This is a REAL LIVE issue that they need to solve. This is one the big reason I am squarely looking at the A77II with A mounts and its 79 AF points is I can get to the edges with faster glass than the FE. Hell Im trying to get away from the bulk and Sony is not helping me with F4 FE glass.

Post Thanks / Like

Things are looking pretty good for this FE 70-200. Thanks for sharing your images, Joe, and to everyone else here. Wish I'd get some movement from Amazon on where the heck mine is.

Guy, I rented that ZA 135/1.8 a while back and shot it on my A99..."came this close" to buying it, but then decided to spend the money on the A7R. That's a special piece of glass. Don't sell it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yeah, there is absolutely no reason anyone should ever sell their 135/1.8 - just put it in your will.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yea agree the 135 1.8 is maybe the best tele on the market outside the 200 f2 and 1.8s

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm in love with my 85 1.4 Sony A too

Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully, given the limitations of assessing IQ from web jpegs, this image and the 100% crop give a sense of what this FE 70-200 lens is capable of delivering. It's really excellent. I only had to get two copies of the lens to achieve what I want. [G] This was shot on a tripod at 125mm, f/11 and 1/30 second.
    hcubell
    www.howardcubell.com

Post Thanks / Like

This lens does quite well for action shots. I did some tests in Sausalito today to check for autofocus tracking @200mm. This isn't an award winning photo, but it give some sense on the ability for sports/action photography. The cyclist in this photo was zipping along quite fast.

Post Thanks / Like

Finally arrived yesterday. I've had only about 20 minutes to play with it, but my initial impression is very positive.

Sony FE 70-200mm at 120mm @ f6.3

Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Sharp, with excellent contrast.

Jan

By the way, how do I get the images larger displayed?
    Last edited by jfzander; 12th May 2014 at 08:31.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/janzander/
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

any comparison to the canon 70-200 f4 IS?

Senior Member johnnygoesdigital's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jfzander View Post
    Sharp, with excellent contrast.

Jan

By the way, how do I get the images larger displayed?
    Nothing... just click on the pic and it displays to a larger view.
    Actually, It would be nice if everyone uploaded smaller so when you click on pic it's a viewing size. It would load pages much faster.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by johnnygoesdigital View Post
    Nothing... just click on the pic and it displays to a larger view.
    Actually, It would be nice if everyone uploaded smaller so when you click on pic it's a viewing size. It would load pages much faster.
    Personally I don't like the thumbnails pictures : it is very noyous on my iPad : it is never centered correctly; sometimes you don't even see the next/previous buttons and as soon as you try to move it, it will return to the thumbnail size. You have to click once to get a bad centered midsized picture and then click and hold to open it in a separate tab. Too much work..

However the forum app. resizes any picture that is bigger than 1200 pixels in the long side, so it is a waste of time to post bigger pictures directly.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Annna T View Post
    Personally I don't like the thumbnails pictures : it is very noyous on my iPad : it is never centered correctly; sometimes you don't even see the next/previous buttons and as soon as you try to move it, it will return to the thumbnail size. You have to click once to get a bad centered midsized picture and then click and hold to open it in a separate tab. Too much work..

However the forum app. resizes any picture that is bigger than 1200 pixels in the long side, so it is a waste of time to post bigger pictures directly.
    All true - but pictures larger than 1200 pix and therefore resized to this site's maximum allowed, can be opened (and viewed in 'full' size) in a separate TAB (Open Image in New Tab).

Kind regards.
    Bart ...

Senior Member johnnygoesdigital's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Annna T View Post

Hmm...When I use a tablet they just open to a default size (larger viewing), it's when I try to zoom is when it defaults to the thumbnail. I don't bother with the site on a smartphone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by johnnygoesdigital View Post
    Hmm...When I use a tablet they just open to a default size (larger viewing), it's when I try to zoom is when it defaults to the thumbnail. I don't bother with the site on a smartphone.
    with the iPad, the size and position depends upon whether you have zoomed in to view the text bigger (which I need). So it is way less comfortable : most of the time I'm only seeing part of the picture and as soon as I click on it to resize it or move it, it returns to the thumbnails size.

But the iPad Air have a lot of resolution (more than 2000), so I like to show/view pictures with it. The phone is another story.

Of course, on a desktop the pictures look much better, the main difference lies with the truer colors and the larger palette of tones.

So, you may prefer the thumbnails, but others prefer it the other way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here are some instructions on posting images here

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/about-ge...e-gallery.html

I use the gallery myself than put the Direct access code and I get this . Steak anyone . Okay not with the 70-200 but the Sigma 35mm 1.4 ART series lens

Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Guy, when I visit Arizona Im looking you up for lunch! That is one mean looking steak
    Last edited by Rawfa; 12th May 2014 at 10:00.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Guy is making me hungry!!!!

On a positive note, just got the email from B&H that the lens shipped , should be here Thursday!
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rawfa View Post
    Guy, when I visit Arizona Im looking you up for lunch! That is one mean looking steak
    Think you may have to go to New York for that lunch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rawfa View Post
    Your on

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Looks a bit overdone to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It actually was Bill. Food photography you don't really eat most if the time. Too many tricks you have to do. That's charred for one and it has oil on it too after the fact.

Actually I cooked ribeyes last night that makes that a burger. Lol

I'm a good cook to be honest but hell I should be I'm Italian

Post Thanks / Like

Check out this video, guys. You can get a glimpse of size mounted on the A7R, first impression and such:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldUeYTMOVpg

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Sandy's 70-200 arrived late yesterday. Size wise it reminds me of a mini Canon lens. It's surprisingly small especially compared to what the Canon 70-200 was like. We haven't yet done the firmware update on her camera so don't know what difference they might be later on. FE70-200 (200mm) f/11 1/5000 ISO 2500 on monopod. 100% crop.

Instant gut reaction is we both like it. A lot.

Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Looks good Don. caught a Dove trying to make a nest on top of my outdoor speaker. Not going to happen its above the door and Ill be damned to be **** on. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

FYI: Sony Store has 70-200/4 listed as "In Stock".

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I read the instructions on image loading several times and still got a tiny image after futzing around with the interface for 15 minutes, or so with lots of img code etc. Apparently you have to have the image show first at full size or something. [You can manage final page load sizes via a new page setting up, a 'page break'.]

That is why I haven't posted images since my allocation ran out even for the tiny pics, lol, I got a red strip now. It really ought to be easier, I think.

It is important to image-oriented sites/threads, because a lot of images look pretty underwhelming at the tiny size, and viewers need to ask themselves: do I want to make several more server calls just to see this tiny photo blown up to viewing size, then return back? Most won't and don't, just scroll on by. Me too.

If you click the thumbnails, it's not like you get an straight 1200x800 image, rather a box shows up as a border with arrows accessing more images if more are loaded into the t'nails, you can click to remove the box - it's another interface...people just want to to be able to load and view with ease.

Just my experience and opinion, I am not sore about it, I am still thankful others have it figured out and I can see and enjoy their work.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure that my questions are premature, but here's what I am wondering about the 70-200mm f4.

When do you expect that Sony will produce a 1.4X or 2.0X extender (like Canon) for their lens?

When should we expect Sony to begin discounting these lens? July 4th or Thanksgiving?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Correct me if I am wrong, though it seems the 70-200/4 is not so good at F4 and needs to be stopped down to F8?

Guy, I think you thinking correctly in regards to checking out an A mount solution i.e. the new A77II with your fast Sony/Zeiss lens lineup or pickup a used A99 for cheap now. Still a very capable camera, except AF points are all in the central 1/3 of the frame whereas the new A77II has a very nice spread. The only downside could be high ISO on the APS-C sensor.
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Post Thanks / Like

The lens is a bit soft in the corners at 200mm F4. Stopped to F6.3 and it will be good, as it is at all F stops below 200mm.

Post Thanks / Like

Mine's arrived. Feels really really nicely made and balances well on the A7R but sadly has a low grade decentering problem. Grrrr.

Post Thanks / Like

Finally got mine a couple of days ago. So far, so good. It's very well put together, images are looking very nice, and it's the perfect size for the A7R. Pretty impressive, all around.
    www.douglaswoodphotography.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    ...but sadly has a low grade decentering problem. Grrrr.
    Tim, you sit at the epicenter of decentering! I'd move.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Colson View Post
    Tim, you sit at the epicenter of decentering! I'd move.

Joe
    Tell me about it!

Post Thanks / Like

OK, here's an example of what I consider a low grade de-centering. I've seen worse! But to me this is unacceptable in that the left hand side is softer at most apertures and focal lengths. Here's one at 98mm and F5.6 and it is entirely representative of what I see more generally. Link to full size image

The scene:

Shot using delay, Gitzo CF tripod, Cube, 1000th second at F5.6 ISO 400 then sharpening the RAW in LR at 60/0.7/70/20 and +10 clarity. This one was AF but I did several series using MF too and they all have the same problem... I do wish Sony would get their sh1t together but then this sort of QC seems endemic to the industry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

But to me this is unacceptable in that the left hand side is softer at most apertures and focal lengths. Here's one at 98mm and F5.6 and it is entirely representative of what I see more generally.
    That looks to be worse than "low grade". Everything to the left of the Merry Fisher boat is significantly soft.

I do wish Sony would get their sh1t together but then this sort of QC seems endemic to the industry.
    I've been VERY lucky by comparison. Good luck with getting a sharp version of this lens. It's worth having in your kit.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your second opinion Joe - I was trying not to throw my toys out of the pram when I called it 'low grade' but it is certainly of an order that some photographic retailers have found unconvincing as proof of a problem, in my experience! But I won't give up: it is simply too important a lens in my bag!

Post Thanks / Like

What happens if you send a lens with this kind of defect to Sony? Will they fix it?

Post Thanks / Like

In my limited experience: I sent one body to Sony and the experience was great: they paid the postage both ways and the service was quick and effective. But I also was forced by a retailer to agree to have him send a lens to them (it was a very poor copy) to have it verified that it was faulty and to have it fixed. I agreed that I would look at it again on its return even though I had a refund and had purchased another copy elsewhere. I gave it a fairly quick set of tests but with no tripod and not my usual targets and in my opinion it was better but still not good enough.

With all manufacturers my preferred way is to test the new its quickly and go for a return rather than a repair. I have had good lens repair results from Leica but with Nikon I have had to return lenses again after a 'fix'. I think of lot of repair facilities don't have the equipment to test comprehensively. Check out what Roger Cicala has to say on the subject!

Luckily my dealer, Park Cameras in the UK, is really really good about this sort of thing.

Post Thanks / Like

This is a good reason to choose a retailer with a liberal return policy. I don't know the situation outside the USA, but there are several retailers here, online and brick/mortar, that have "satisfaction guaranteed". A decentered lens is clearly dissatisfying, and the retailer should replace or refund the item rather than insisting on a time consuming repair.

Post Thanks / Like

Has any of you experienced the shutter-shake issue with your 70-200 mounted on a tripod via the tripod collar?