The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone have the FE 70-200/F4 yet?

dwood

Things are looking pretty good for this FE 70-200. Thanks for sharing your images, Joe, and to everyone else here. Wish I'd get some movement from Amazon on where the heck mine is.

Guy, I rented that ZA 135/1.8 a while back and shot it on my A99..."came this close" to buying it, but then decided to spend the money on the A7R. That's a special piece of glass. Don't sell it!

hcubell

Hopefully, given the limitations of assessing IQ from web jpegs, this image and the 100% crop give a sense of what this FE 70-200 lens is capable of delivering. It's really excellent. I only had to get two copies of the lens to achieve what I want. [G] This was shot on a tripod at 125mm, f/11 and 1/30 second.

dandrewk

This lens does quite well for action shots. I did some tests in Sausalito today to check for autofocus tracking @200mm. This isn't an award winning photo, but it give some sense on the ability for sports/action photography. The cyclist in this photo was zipping along quite fast.

Finally arrived yesterday. I've had only about 20 minutes to play with it, but my initial impression is very positive.

Sony FE 70-200mm at 120mm @ f6.3

jfzander

Sharp, with excellent contrast.

Jan

By the way, how do I get the images larger displayed?

Last edited:

johnnygoesdigital

Sharp, with excellent contrast.

Jan

By the way, how do I get the images larger displayed?
Nothing... just click on the pic and it displays to a larger view.
Actually, It would be nice if everyone uploaded smaller so when you click on pic it's a viewing size. It would load pages much faster.

Annna T

Nothing... just click on the pic and it displays to a larger view.
Actually, It would be nice if everyone uploaded smaller so when you click on pic it's a viewing size. It would load pages much faster.
Personally I don't like the thumbnails pictures : it is very noyous on my iPad : it is never centered correctly; sometimes you don't even see the next/previous buttons and as soon as you try to move it, it will return to the thumbnail size. You have to click once to get a bad centered midsized picture and then click and hold to open it in a separate tab. Too much work..

However the forum app. resizes any picture that is bigger than 1200 pixels in the long side, so it is a waste of time to post bigger pictures directly.

Knorp

Personally I don't like the thumbnails pictures : it is very noyous on my iPad : it is never centered correctly; sometimes you don't even see the next/previous buttons and as soon as you try to move it, it will return to the thumbnail size. You have to click once to get a bad centered midsized picture and then click and hold to open it in a separate tab. Too much work..

However the forum app. resizes any picture that is bigger than 1200 pixels in the long side, so it is a waste of time to post bigger pictures directly.
All true - but pictures larger than 1200 pix and therefore resized to this site's maximum allowed, can be opened (and viewed in 'full' size) in a separate TAB (Open Image in New Tab).

Kind regards.

johnnygoesdigital

Hmm...When I use a tablet they just open to a default size (larger viewing), it's when I try to zoom is when it defaults to the thumbnail. I don't bother with the site on a smartphone.

Annna T

Hmm...When I use a tablet they just open to a default size (larger viewing), it's when I try to zoom is when it defaults to the thumbnail. I don't bother with the site on a smartphone.
with the iPad, the size and position depends upon whether you have zoomed in to view the text bigger (which I need). So it is way less comfortable : most of the time I'm only seeing part of the picture and as soon as I click on it to resize it or move it, it returns to the thumbnails size.

But the iPad Air have a lot of resolution (more than 2000), so I like to show/view pictures with it. The phone is another story.

Of course, on a desktop the pictures look much better, the main difference lies with the truer colors and the larger palette of tones.

So, you may prefer the thumbnails, but others prefer it the other way.

Rawfa

Guy, when I visit Arizona I´m looking you up for lunch! That is one mean looking steak :)

Last edited:

Don Libby

Guy is making me hungry!!!!

On a positive note, just got the email from B&H that the lens shipped , should be here Thursday! :D