Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 125

Thread: Anyone have the FE 70-200/F4 yet?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    721
    Post Thanks / Like

    Anyone have the FE 70-200/F4 yet?

    I have one on order but haven't received any shipping info. yet. I'm anxious to see what this puppy can do.

  2. #2
    Subscriber Member tashley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South of England
    Posts
    3,295
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Anyone have the FE 70-200/F4 yet?

    Annoyingly, they went from 'pre-order' to 'sold out' with nothing in between on the Sony store UK. I have had one on order for ages and my dealer today said that they haven't had a sniff of one yet. I expect early May, which is a bummer because I am off on a trip on Monday...

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    721
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Anyone have the FE 70-200/F4 yet?

    Yeah, I've had one on order for about a month and the word was "expect to ship April 15th". I have a trip in mid May. Sure hope it arrives by then. I'm hoping this performs as well as it appears on paper.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Joe Colson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    1,911
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    36

    Re: Anyone have the FE 70-200/F4 yet?

    Doug, I feel your pain. My order with B&H was placed on February 12 and they're closed until April 23 for the Passover Holiday. Hopefully, I'll get my hands on one shortly after that. In the meantime, I'm using the Canon 70-200mm f/4L IS with the Metabones III adapter.

    Joe
    _________________________________
    Joe Colson Photography
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    30
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Anyone have the FE 70-200/F4 yet?

    I have one. It (at least the copy I have) is competent, but not quite as sharp at any focal length and aperture combination I've tested so far (70, 135 and 200mm) as the Canon 70-200 f2.8 with a metabones adapter. Chris
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  6. #6
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Manchester/Jerusalem
    Posts
    2,652
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    290

    Re: Anyone have the FE 70-200/F4 yet?

    Mark one or two Chris?
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

    Website: http://www.timelessjewishart.com

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    30
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Anyone have the FE 70-200/F4 yet?

    Version II. I understand this lens sets the standard for this class, so perhaps it isn't surprising that the Sony f4 isn't quite as good (although this was just my one copy, one of the first batch available in Japan; perhaps others will find they have better samples).

    Still, the Sony wins in at least two areas: smaller size and lower weight. You would definitely prefer the Sony if you had to carry a 70-200 any distance.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    721
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Anyone have the FE 70-200/F4 yet?

    Quote Originally Posted by cjl View Post
    I have one. It (at least the copy I have) is competent, but not quite as sharp at any focal length and aperture combination I've tested so far (70, 135 and 200mm) as the Canon 70-200 f2.8 with a metabones adapter. Chris
    Jealous that you have one to play with. I was hoping for performance a bit north of 'competent', but I'm still looking forward to checking this out when it eventually arrives. Hurry up and wait.

  9. #9
    Subscriber Member tashley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South of England
    Posts
    3,295
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Anyone have the FE 70-200/F4 yet?

    DXO tested it. It's pretty good.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Massachusetts and Vermont
    Posts
    947
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Anyone have the FE 70-200/F4 yet?

    Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    DXO tested it. It's pretty good.
    Tim:
    Would DXO's testing of the Sony 70-200 FE reflect any effects from shutter vibration on the Sony A7R?

  11. #11
    Subscriber Member tashley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South of England
    Posts
    3,295
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Anyone have the FE 70-200/F4 yet?

    I doubt it but their methodology isn't explicit enough to be sure.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    721
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Anyone have the FE 70-200/F4 yet?

    Just got a notice from Amazon that the FE 70-200 I've had on order now has an expected ship date between May 20th - June 2nd. Well, that's not so good. Might have to think about a plan b.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Espoo, Finland
    Posts
    125
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Anyone have the FE 70-200/F4 yet?

    Quote Originally Posted by dwood View Post
    Just got a notice from Amazon that the FE 70-200 I've had on order now has an expected ship date between May 20th - June 2nd. Well, that's not so good. Might have to think about a plan b.
    Had a similar experience with sony.fi web shop. I was supposed to get my 70-200 on April 8th or 9th, but no lens or update came even week after that. Called them on April 15th and they said "early May", my account/order in their site has not been updated, it is still showing April 8th to April 9th so early may.

    Their excuse was that "surprisingly many preorders so not everyone got their lens from the 1st allocation blah blah", but since to my understanding sony webshop has not shipped yet anywhere in Europe it sounds like some kind of overall delay to me. A batch is out in Australia/Asia, but I think in Europe/US production model lenses have not yet reached anyone.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    52
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Anyone have the FE 70-200/F4 yet?

    Mine arrived on monday. 24-70/f4 55/1.8 and now 70-200/f4. What would I need more!? Ah..maybe a 16-35?

    Waiting for the first shutter shaker....

  15. #15
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Anyone have the FE 70-200/F4 yet?

    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  16. #16
    Senior Member Joe Colson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    1,911
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    36

    Re: Anyone have the FE 70-200/F4 yet?

    Quote Originally Posted by jfzander View Post
    What would I need more!?
    Me to test it for you.

    Seriously, please post some photos when you have time. Where are you located? US shipments seem not to have begun.

    Joe
    _________________________________
    Joe Colson Photography

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Massachusetts and Vermont
    Posts
    947
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Anyone have the FE 70-200/F4 yet?

    My "initial" copy of the FE 70-200mm zoom arrived yeasterday. I have only had the opportunity to take a few test shots with it so far, but it looks very promising in terms of its inherent optical quality. I see none of the blurred corners that I see with my Sony Zeiss FE 24-70. I am, however, seeing some evidence of shutter shake depending upon the shutter speed. If someone could explain to me how to create a 100% crop from LR, I will post some examples.
    I have a Nikon 70-200 VR II zoom that I will shoot on a D800E for comparison.
    One thing I did notice is that there is a little "play" in the lens mount with this lens. If you hold the lens in one hand and the camera in the other, you can feel the lens turn a bit in the mount if you twist the lens back and forth.

  18. #18
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,187
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Anyone have the FE 70-200/F4 yet?

    Quote Originally Posted by hcubell View Post
    My "initial" copy of the FE 70-200mm zoom arrived yeasterday. I have only had the opportunity to take a few test shots with it so far, but it looks very promising in terms of its inherent optical quality. I see none of the blurred corners that I see with my Sony Zeiss FE 24-70. I am, however, seeing some evidence of shutter shake depending upon the shutter speed. If someone could explain to me how to create a 100% crop from LR, I will post some examples.
    I have a Nikon 70-200 VR II zoom that I will shoot on a D800E for comparison.
    One thing I did notice is that there is a little "play" in the lens mount with this lens. If you hold the lens in one hand and the camera in the other, you can feel the lens turn a bit in the mount if you twist the lens back and forth.
    Could it be possible your mount needs to be tightened down? I get reasonably sharp handheld shots with my Contax 180/2.8 when I do my part and extremely sharp on a tripod.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Massachusetts and Vermont
    Posts
    947
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Anyone have the FE 70-200/F4 yet?

    Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    Could it be possible your mount needs to be tightened down? I get reasonably sharp handheld shots with my Contax 180/2.8 when I do my part and extremely sharp on a tripod.
    No, the connection of the Sony tripod foot is to a RRS clamp, and it is VERY tight.
    The consensus as to how to minimize the effects of shutter vibration with longer lenses is to add weight to the camera. Joe Holmes went the route of creating a small tungsten block that he attaches to the bottom of the A7R. Lloyd Chambers suggests putting a flash in the hot shoe. Unfortunately, the diminutive size and weight of the A7R are a major part of the attraction of the camera for me. I would consider the deadweight that Joe Holmes is using, but I would need a machine shop to do the work and I am not aware of any that would be up to it at a reasonable price.

  20. #20
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,187
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Anyone have the FE 70-200/F4 yet?

    Quote Originally Posted by hcubell View Post
    No, the connection of the Sony tripod foot is to a RRS clamp, and it is VERY tight.
    The consensus as to how to minimize the effects of shutter vibration with longer lenses is to add weight to the camera. Joe Holmes went the route of creating a small tungsten block that he attaches to the bottom of the A7R. Lloyd Chambers suggests putting a flash in the hot shoe. Unfortunately, the diminutive size and weight of the A7R are a major part of the attraction of the camera for me. I would consider the deadweight that Joe Holmes is using, but I would need a machine shop to do the work and I am not aware of any that would be up to it at a reasonable price.
    I meant the actual mount on the camera and not the lens collar/ tripod foot.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Massachusetts and Vermont
    Posts
    947
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Anyone have the FE 70-200/F4 yet?

    Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    I meant the actual mount on the camera and not the lens collar/ tripod foot.
    Sorry, I will check if that's the source of the play. Not sure if I have the tool to tighten the lens mount on the camera.

  22. #22
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,187
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Anyone have the FE 70-200/F4 yet?

    Quote Originally Posted by hcubell View Post
    Sorry, I will check if that's the source of the play. Not sure if I have the tool to tighten the lens mount on the camera.
    Just was curious. If none of your other lenses have play it probably isn't the source but it was interesting to read that loose mounts were the culprit for SOME of the light leak issues that SOME had. I know some have had shutter shock issues and I don't doubt it's a real thing in some instances but I haven't had any issues myself with it myself in real shots when I do my part.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

  23. #23
    Senior Member Rawfa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro
    Posts
    2,393
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Anyone have the FE 70-200/F4 yet?

    Come on, dudes, post some picts.

  24. #24
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Anyone have the FE 70-200/F4 yet?

    Yea or I'm have to gonna take them away from you. Lol
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  25. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    52
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Anyone have the FE 70-200/F4 yet?

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Colson View Post
    Me to test it for you.

    Seriously, please post some photos when you have time. Where are you located? US shipments seem not to have begun.

    Joe
    Sony Store Germany

  26. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Massachusetts and Vermont
    Posts
    947
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Anyone have the FE 70-200/F4 yet?

    I went out into the rain today to shoot the Sony FE 70-200. The lens is excellent. I tested it at 70mm, 100mm, 135mm and 200mm against the Nikon 70-200 VR II on a D800E at f4, 5.6, 8 and 11. At 100% on screen the two lenses are generally quite comparable, but I would give the edge to the Sony(except that at 200mm the right side of the Sony is softer than the left side). I attached a RRS MPR-73 Plate to the foot of the Sony zoom.
    UPDATE: I have reviewed the files more closely and it does appear that my copy is a bit decentered as the left side of the files is a tad softer that the center and right side. However, this is at 100% on screen. I am not a big lens tester so I don't know if this is to be expected.
    FURTHER UPDATE: I also did a similar comparison of the Sony Zeiss FE 24-70 against the Nikon 24-70 2.8 on the D800E. Ugh. Very disappointing. Version II of this lens can't arrive soon enough for me.
    Last edited by hcubell; 27th April 2014 at 09:21.
    hcubell
    www.howardcubell.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  27. #27
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Anyone have the FE 70-200/F4 yet?

    Awesome news
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  28. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    721
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Anyone have the FE 70-200/F4 yet?

    Quote Originally Posted by hcubell View Post
    I went out into the rain today to shoot the Sony FE 70-200. The lens is excellent. I tested it at 70mm, 100mm, 135mm and 200mm against the Nikon 70-200 VR II on a D800E at f4, 5.6, 8 and 11. At 100% on screen the two lenses are generally quite comparable, but I would give the edge to the Sony(except that at 200mm the right side of the Sony is softer than the left side). I attached a RRS MPR-73 Plate to the foot of the Sony zoom.
    This is encouraging, and I'm anxious for mine to show up.

    As an aside, were you able to determine what the lens/mount 'play' issue was?

    Lovely November weather we're having here in New England, huh?

  29. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Massachusetts and Vermont
    Posts
    947
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Anyone have the FE 70-200/F4 yet?

    Quote Originally Posted by dwood View Post
    This is encouraging, and I'm anxious for mine to show up.

    As an aside, were you able to determine what the lens/mount 'play' issue was?

    Lovely November weather we're having here in New England, huh?
    No idea what the "play" in the mount is from, but it does not seem to affect the lens performance.

    Typical New England "Spring". Worst time of year.

  30. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Massachusetts and Vermont
    Posts
    947
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Anyone have the FE 70-200/F4 yet?

    Another at dusk with the Sony 70-200 FE Zoom. 135mm at f/16.

  31. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Marin County, CA
    Posts
    593
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Anyone have the FE 70-200/F4 yet?

    Greetings. Long time dpreview poster, first time here.

    I ordered the FE 70-200 from Amazon and Sony. Like others, I was anxiously awaiting it. I also periodically checked other online retailers, including my favorite local chain, Samy's Camera (California). Last Tuesday, shock of shocks, the lens showed as in stock. My local store had them but all were pre-ordered, but they still had stock online. I may have gotten the last one. Yes, it has a USA warranty.

    I suspect Samy's -may- have jumped the gun in making them available. Look for wide USA release after Sony's dog & pony show this Thursday.

    Anyway, I went out and did a slew of test shots, including an attempt at birds in flight. You can see the shots here:

    FE 70-200mm F4 G, GG Bridge & Beach Test Shots: Sony Alpha/NEX E-mount Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

    Long story short - the lens is a keeper! I love the look and feel of the lens, and it autofocuses super fast. The lens is quite sharp at all lengths except wide open at 200mm. Even that isn't all that bad. I think this lens will take its place alongside the Nikon and Canon versions.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  32. #32
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Anyone have the FE 70-200/F4 yet?

    Looks very promising and welcome to the forum.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  33. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Marin County, CA
    Posts
    593
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Anyone have the FE 70-200/F4 yet?

    I did a bit more testing of the lens, comparing it to my Nikon 70-200 F2.8. Results can be seen here:

    Sony FE 70-200 F4 Vs. Nikon 70-200 F2.8 Lens Test: Sony Alpha/NEX E-mount Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  34. #34
    Senior Subscriber Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    411
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Anyone have the FE 70-200/F4 yet?

    I got mine today (shipped from Japan). I didn’t have any chance to do any outdoor shooting, just few test shoots indoor in low light conditions. The lens is very light and fits very nicely with the A7r with or without the body grip. The focus speed is pretty fast in good lighting condition but it hunts quite a bit in low light and in close focus distance. It is also interesting to note that the minimum focus distance varies from 1 meter in 70mm focal length to 1.5 meters in 200mm. I find the IQ of the lens to be excellent overall. I compared it to my Nikon D800 with the 70-200/2,8 VR-II lens. Their performances are very comparable with Sony stronger in the range from 70mm to 135mm but Nikon better in 200mm. I also found that the OSS is very effective and I can hand hold the lens and get sharp images in 1/50 sec shutter speed at 200mm. There have been some reports about the QC of the lens. But I was lucky that my copy didn’t have any de-centering problems.

  35. #35
    Senior Member MikeEvangelist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Minnesota, USA
    Posts
    933
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Anyone have the FE 70-200/F4 yet?

    Just got confirmation from Amazon that mine will be delivered on May 2. (I ordered it on Feb 24th).

  36. #36
    Senior Member Joe Colson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    1,911
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    36

    Re: Anyone have the FE 70-200/F4 yet?

    Quote Originally Posted by dandrewk View Post
    I did a bit more testing of the lens, comparing it to my Nikon 70-200 F2.8. Results can be seen here:

    Sony FE 70-200 F4 Vs. Nikon 70-200 F2.8 Lens Test: Sony Alpha/NEX E-mount Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
    Thanks for posting the test shots and your observations. It looks very promising and I look forward to getting a B&H shipment in May.

    Joe
    _________________________________
    Joe Colson Photography

  37. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Marin County, CA
    Posts
    593
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Anyone have the FE 70-200/F4 yet?

    Thanks Joe. As mentioned in that thread, for some reason DPR down-rezzed the images, probably due to monthly upload quota limits. I'll repost next month (tomorrow) for much improved pixel peeking.

    Let us know how you like the lens when you get it.

  38. #38
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Bill Caulfeild-Browne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Bruce Peninsula, Canada
    Posts
    2,535
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    184

    Re: Anyone have the FE 70-200/F4 yet?

    I ordered one today from Sony.ca, shipping estimated May 7th.

    GAS is in full force, as usual.

  39. #39
    Senior Member Joe Colson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    1,911
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    36

    Re: Anyone have the FE 70-200/F4 yet?

    Quote Originally Posted by dandrewk View Post
    Let us know how you like the lens when you get it.
    Hopefully that will be soon. I checked my order status today and this was posted on the B&H website: "Status: In stock, order sent to warehouse." That may mean my lens will ship today or tomorrow. Woohoo!

    Joe
    _________________________________
    Joe Colson Photography

  40. #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Marin County, CA
    Posts
    593
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Anyone have the FE 70-200/F4 yet?

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Colson View Post
    Hopefully that will be soon. I checked my order status today and this was posted on the B&H website: "Status: In stock, order sent to warehouse." That may mean my lens will ship today or tomorrow. Woohoo!

    Joe
    Is there anything more thrilling than getting a new lens? Are there three better words in the English language than "Out for Delivery"?

    Just remember when you first get the box - yes, there is a lens in there, no matter how light the box seems.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  41. #41
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Bill Caulfeild-Browne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Bruce Peninsula, Canada
    Posts
    2,535
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    184

    Re: Anyone have the FE 70-200/F4 yet?

    To my delight, the May 7th ship date has been brought forward - it should arrive tomorrow!

    On the bad side, I've got a conference all weekend and won't be able to play with it!

    Ah well - you win some, you lose some!

    Bill

  42. #42
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    65
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Anyone have the FE 70-200/F4 yet?

    I got a shipping notice too.

  43. #43
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Marin County, CA
    Posts
    593
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Anyone have the FE 70-200/F4 yet?

    I am liking this lens more and more.


  44. #44
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Bill Caulfeild-Browne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Bruce Peninsula, Canada
    Posts
    2,535
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    184

    Re: Anyone have the FE 70-200/F4 yet?

    Got mine this morning. After using the 70-400 G A mount, this feels light and tiny! (Of course it's a much smaller zoom range,too.)

    A few quick shots show it to be very crisp but no time to form an educated opinion - yet!

    Bill

  45. #45
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    721
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Anyone have the FE 70-200/F4 yet?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Caulfeild-Browne View Post
    Got mine this morning. After using the 70-400 G A mount, this feels light and tiny! (Of course it's a much smaller zoom range,too.)

    A few quick shots show it to be very crisp but no time to form an educated opinion - yet!

    Bill
    Bill, are you adapting the 70-400 to your A7R? That must be a sight to see. Enjoy your new 70-200. Still waiting over here.

  46. #46
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Bill Caulfeild-Browne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Bruce Peninsula, Canada
    Posts
    2,535
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    184

    Re: Anyone have the FE 70-200/F4 yet?

    Yes Douglas, it's a real handful! But because it has no OSS I tend to use the 70-400 with the a99 and its in-body stabilization.
    Bill CB

    www.billcaulfeild-browne.ca
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  47. #47
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Marin County, CA
    Posts
    593
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Anyone have the FE 70-200/F4 yet?

    Quote Originally Posted by dandrewk View Post
    Thanks Joe. As mentioned in that thread, for some reason DPR down-rezzed the images, probably due to monthly upload quota limits. I'll repost next month (tomorrow) for much improved pixel peeking.

    Let us know how you like the lens when you get it.
    FWIW, I have reposted the lens test at DPR. This time, it looks like it uploaded at full resolution:

    Sony FE 70-200 F4 Vs. Nikon 70-200 F2.8 Lens Test *Full Rez*: Sony Alpha/NEX E-mount Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

  48. #48
    Senior Member Joe Colson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    1,911
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    36

    Re: Anyone have the FE 70-200/F4 yet?

    Quote Originally Posted by dandrewk View Post
    FWIW, I have reposted the lens test at DPR. This time, it looks like it uploaded at full resolution:

    Sony FE 70-200 F4 Vs. Nikon 70-200 F2.8 Lens Test *Full Rez*: Sony Alpha/NEX E-mount Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
    Thanks Dan. My lens arrives today on the big brown truck and I'll be comparing it to the Canon 70-200mm f/4L IS. Stay tuned.

    Joe
    _________________________________
    Joe Colson Photography

  49. #49
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Bill Caulfeild-Browne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Bruce Peninsula, Canada
    Posts
    2,535
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    184

    Re: Anyone have the FE 70-200/F4 yet?

    Well, I finally got the chance to wander around with the new toy today. It's a pretty good lens and I'll certainly be keeping it.

    As others have said in formal tests, it's soft at the edges at 200 mm and f4 but cleans up nicely by f8. It shows both purple fringing and chromatic aberration, particularly at the short end, but this is wholly corrected in Capture One. It's quite crisp and clean at all focal lengths otherwise.

    This shot was converted in C1 at defaults except for the fringing and CA mentioned above. 200 mm at f4 (wide open) hand held (because that's the way I'll use it). The left edge was as sharp as the right so I've not included it. The blow-ups are a bit more than 100% because I blundered!





    Bill CB

    www.billcaulfeild-browne.ca
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  50. #50
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Bill Caulfeild-Browne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Bruce Peninsula, Canada
    Posts
    2,535
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    184

    Re: Anyone have the FE 70-200/F4 yet?

    I should point out that, much as I like this zoom, it's nowhere near the resolution of the extraordinary FE 55 f1.8!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •