The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mid- range zooms

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I suspect they have bigger fish to fry but yeah, I'm a little surprised that they haven't put together FE profiles. Maybe they have and just haven't done the FE 24-70 yet: don't know, as I use LR.

Guy, you're right, there's some epic distortion happening with the FE 24-70, but it cleans up nicely for me in LR and so far, I've pulled some nice images out of this lens. Since you're a C1 user, have you tried the ZA 24-70/2.8 profile? I wonder if that might also be interesting to look at.

That lens has better distortion so it does not match real well. This thing is a mess the FE model. Sony needs to stop this in camera correction thought pattern that works for jpegs only. Pros and real hobbyist do NOT SHOOT JPEGS. Like to smack them upside the head here. I said this several times already hire some damn photographers to help build this stuff.

To C1 credit though they did put in the new FE 28-75 so maybe next update. I can get along with this workaround for a bit. Hell I am so used to being a guinea pig on gear and being beat up for a time until these OEMS finally get things right.

engel001

"Sony needs to stop this in camera correction thought pattern that works for jpegs only."

Absolutely agree. On the other hand, does the in-camera correction work for video? The FE 24-70 is very nice for that because it has OSS.

Luvwine

I tried the FE 24-70/4. Maybe I got a bad one, but mine was great close up, but lousy away from center at infinity. Autofocus in dim light was dodgy too. In sent it back today and will probably use primes for now on the A7r. Well, zoom 16-21, and probably the 70-200, but will use 28, 35, and 55 primes. A buddy of mine likes the Leica R 28-90 on his A7r, but that is a large and pricey option....

Wish Sony had done a better job on the 24-70, whether in lens design or quality control or both. I had hoped for better after the excellent 55/1.8 and very good 35/2.8.