The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

AF - A6000 vs A7 vs LAEA4?

Rawfa

Hi guys,

I know the A6000 has just begun shipping, so I'm not sure if someone will have an answer, but here it goes...AF wise do you guys think the LAEA4 could match the A6000 or the A7 for speed? I'm considering if I should get the FE 70-200mm F4 (very expensive IMO) or an LAEA4 and a faster 70-200mm f2.8 (which would be almost us$500 cheaper).

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Its a great question one I have been wondering about but my guess here anything without the adapter will be faster.

Rawfa

I guess the real question then is how much faster :) . Like, could the LAEA4 be usable on a wedding or is it too slow?

Taylor Sherman

The LAEA4 is very fast, when used with an SSM lens. Well, I'm extrapolating - the AF when I had the ZA24/2 on an LA-EA2 on my Nex-7 was lightning fast.

fotografz

I guess the real question then is how much faster :) . Like, could the LAEA4 be usable on a wedding or is it too slow?
No, I do not think it is too slow for weddings … but I have an A99 in case it is ;)

With SSM equipped lenses to 50mm, it is almost as fast as my A99. It is slower than the A99 when using the 135/1.8.

The adapter is also noisier than the A99. Plus the A99 has e-front shutter like the A7.

But I feel it is fast enough that I sold my A900 and will be using the A7R as the available light companion to the speed-light equipped A99 for weddings and events.

- Marc

fotografz

Hi guys,

I know the A6000 has just begun shipping, so I'm not sure if someone will have an answer, but here it goes...AF wise do you guys think the LAEA4 could match the A6000 or the A7 for speed? I'm considering if I should get the FE 70-200mm F4 (very expensive IMO) or an LAEA4 and a faster 70-200mm f2.8 (which would be almost us$500 cheaper).
The 70-200/2.8G is NOT Image Stabilized. I believe the FE70-200/4 is.

I have an A99 which is an Image Stabilized body … none of the FE cameras are.

BIG DIFFERENCE.

Did you figure in the cost of the LEAE4 adapter added to the 70-200/2.8G?

I'd get the dedicated FE lens IF you do not already own the 70-200/2.8G.

- Marc

Rawfa

I didn't know it had to be ssm to be really fast. I was going to buy a tamron 70-200mm 2.8

Rawfa

It's a massive freaking beast and it's us$380 cheaper than the FE 70-200mm f4. I think I might just wait until the FE's price drops. In the end it's a better solution to have the FE both for the A7 and the A6000.

Rawfa

Guys, I´m at work so I cannot post youtube videos here but type "LAEA4" and you will find a comparison between the adapter vs the A7´s AF which shows the adapter being considerably faster.

Guy Mancuso

I just shot another ton of runway stuff with the A7 the adapter and the 135 1.8. Review off , AFC mode and it tracked pretty well. They were moving fast too. My assistant was shooting the A6000 with the 55 1.8 and it looks like he did pretty good with that body. But I decided to actually get a A6000 anyway. I like how its a backup to my A7 and also that it is APS format which gives me the added reach I may need sometimes and still be 24mpx instead of the A7 in crop mode which gives me a far smaller file. So for this type of work the other night I left the A7r home. I also like the fact the A6000 takes the same battery which i have 8 batteries on hand now. The A6000 rental goes back today but I am going to buy one. The files look really nice and I like how the camera functions which is really close to the A7 so for the 650 dollars I think it is worth it. Im not sure which is faster with AF though as i did not do a head to head comparison. Im also of thinking of selling my Zeiss 25mm and get the Sony A 24mm F 2 instead. This way I am only either Sony A mount or FE mount. I had my assistant shooting the A6000 with a Sony 20mm with adapter for grip and grin stuff and they looked good but a Sony 24mm A would serve me better with both the A7 and A6000 not to mention the A7r as well. So I may wind up with all three cams at the end of the day. The A6000is the backup to both the A7 system and the A7r systems which do different jobs. I decided on PR type work the A7r stays home, its just easier on me.

Guy Mancuso

Depends on price. Im keeping a lot of options open. To me whatever fills the need is the most important. Im a little worried the S just won't be enough horsepower overall in the scheme of things. Why I tend to want a APS sensor so i don't have to go into crop mode on the A7

MikalWGrass

Rawfa, I have the older version of the 70-200/2.8G with the 1.4x extender that I bought from Marc. it is a great lens BUT on an a900 I find that the AF on the camera cannot keep up with a kids flag football game. Otherwise, the lens is SWEET, and depending upon your needs, you cannot go wrong with it.

I tend to leave the focus on spot focus and sometimes I shoot in a burst. The a6000 doesn't allow spot focusing in burst from what one of the commentators stated earlier.

The guys are probably right when they tell you to stick with the FE glass for the emount cameras. In theory they are supposed to work better on the mount they were designed for, but that may not be your preference. See if you can rent both lenses and an adapter for the weekend so you won't be out of pocket for the wrong lens, except for the price of the rental.

Guy, I like your reasoning behind buying the a6000: keeping 24 megapixels on an APS body so you get the reach instead of cropping on the a7.

These are good problems to have though having too many choices might be a bit much.

Guy Mancuso

Well one of the issues that maybe affect some folks is lens speed. Some shoots for me with the 70-200 F4 is I may just not have enough light and others I will. F4 is kind of slow for indoor PR work with podium involved and such. So that is a concern to me last January I rented the A version of the 70-200 2.8 the older one and it did okay on the A7. Now i will clearly state that for true sports work we may be biting off more than we can chew. Even though I know I could do it because i am not a spray and pray shooter but if you are than the Sony A7 may not be the best solution.

If you look at Sony the fast glass is in the A the lightweight more AF points are in the FE but slow glass. I want speed and FE and its just not out yet. LOL

So for us Sony shooters we just have to play some games and workarounds for awhile. I'm okay with that though as I think we all can agree Sony is actually building stuff for users and everyone else it seems has fallen asleep in FF format.

kuau

Workshop Member
Guy, and rumor mill has is a replacement for the A99 and I can only assume it will have the AF of the new A77II and 36MP. Perfect setup for your A mount Sony Zeiss glass -)

Im also of thinking of selling my Zeiss 25mm and get the Sony A 24mm F 2 instead. This way I am only either Sony A mount or FE mount. I had my assistant shooting the A6000 with a Sony 20mm with adapter for grip and grin stuff and they looked good but a Sony 24mm A would serve me better with both the A7 and A6000 not to mention the A7r as well.
Guy, be careful with the Sony Zeiss 24/2. I've tried three different lenses now and they all suffered from horribly inconsistent AF at middle ranges - they were fine for close-up and usually ok for infinity. The ones I tried were used on various bodies and a couple were even sent to Sony for service to no avail. At the end of the day, I have given up on the 24/2 and will likely try the rumored Sigma 24/1.4 if that lens comes out.

The failure of the 24/2 has lead me on a search for a good moderate wide and I'm extremely impressed with the Minolta AF 28/2 with the LAEA-4. My copy is exceptionally sharp in the center with lovely bokeh for a 28mm. Between the M-Rokkor, the G-Rokkor and this AF lens, I think Minolta had the 28mm FOV nailed back in the day.

My 2 cents. Good luck.
Chad

Guy Mancuso

Thanks Chad I will check it out as soon as it comes Wednesday. I got it used at KEH which has a friendly return policy.

That 28 sounds nice as well. I have the Sigma 35 1.4 so maybe a little close.

I'm waiting to see what the Sigma 24 looks like as well. These ART lenses are really good

Guy Mancuso

Okay watched the video. Did not surprise me given I shot about 1500 frames last week although not real tracking work per say its single point was impressive. Too bad it don't have a vertical grip as I was going to get the A77II because of that fact alone.