The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

May 1st Sony announcements?

Ben Rubinstein

I'll be using this on a tripod 99% of the time, so don't need the OSS either. However, Sony is building a line of zooms here, and they probably would have heard it from customers if left off this lens.

I haven't seen any pricing for this yet. Have you heard/seen something?
Which customers though? What other manufacturer has a stabilised 16-35mm? Actually wait a sec, you're right, doesn't Nikon have a VR f4 version? I forget. Bet the Nikon will be cheaper... :D

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
The a77II looks pretty interesting and the sound of the shutter clicking at 12 fps is nice. I have yet to see how well the camera tracks a subject moving towards the camera in any of the sites mentioned on SAR. My guess is that a high frame rate and fast AF are to be used for sports, not still life, yet there is nary a site that I could find that shows the fast AF being used for sports.

Can anyone tell me why the photos that were taken by the beta testers look so bland, crappy, and seem to be of poor quality? Whom does the beta testing for Sony?

I may be interested in this camera and a wider angle zoom as it looks interesting.
Sigma 18-35 1.8 would be awesome on this . Plus there A 70-200 2.8 A is extremely fast at focusing. I think the AF might be about the same with both cams as it looks very similar tech. Hard to say

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Maybe a good idea here and someone correct me if I'm wrong. The A6000 will take just about any lens with a adapter. The A77 you don't have that big a option but Sony A lenses. I don't see adapters that go to A mounts. Plenty that go to the Nex mounts which the A6000 is. Both crop sensors both 24 mpx.

MikalWGrass

Guy, thank you for the feedback on my post. I was kind of farbissiner / sour / cranky when I posted my comments this morning. Even though the day got much better, I still wonder about the beta testers and what they shoot.

I shoot a lot of sports for my kids and their friends. I noticed that I have to use my "skills" more with the a900 when it comes to flag football because of the way the kids run, than with swimming. I usually shoot with the previous version of the 70-200/2.8G that I bought from Marc. I never use the extender because I don't think the glass is as good as in the lens itself.

I wanted something wider because the flag football players tend to run towards the sidelines, where sometimes, most times, the 70 end is too long. I tend to stand on the sidelines so the shots are not blocked by the players, coaches, refs. If I stand farther back, I can get better sideline shots but I am frequently blocked. The shots I posted on the "Fun with Sony" forum were mostly shot on the mid range to longer ends of the 70-200/2.8G though some were shot with the 70 end.

I looked at the stats between the older and newer versions of the 70-200/2.8G, and the newer version is much faster. It is not worth twice what I paid for the lens though.

The Sigma 18-35 will be a bit short on the long end. I only carry one camera body - FOR NOW.

Thank you for your help and comments.

philip_pj

Some have noticed that Sony is a high end brand these days.
A little OT, but good to hear:

"Sony’s strategy going forward is to focus on high-end (and high-profits) leading-edge features like 4K and high-end camera sensors to “create the market”. Of course, the mid-range and entry-level markets (or “foundation” in Sony marketing/sales lingo) remains hugely important in terms of volume and revenues, but the idea is that human and engineering resources should be focused on *Sony’s leading-edge product.*

Mr. Fasulo hinted that *“Full-Frame” was the future* and this would indicate that Sony will continue to use the edge that it has in image sensor technologies to gather further market share and profits. So far, the Sony *camera business has been one of the most successful for Sony and there is no sign of slowing-down.*

Sony Electronics Strategy Outlined By COO Michael Fasulo | Ubergizmo

Steve P.

I'm not sure this counts as an announcement. If you google the new lens you find only links to speculation dating from February. I don't doubt the lens is real but it seems a funny way to announce a product, on a rumour site with no product pictures or anything save an updated roadmap from another website.
And still no confirmation of the A7s pricing. Apart from the A77 ii, a bit of a damp May day squib in Sony Land.

biglouis

I'm not sure this counts as an announcement. If you google the new lens you find only links to speculation dating from February. I don't doubt the lens is real but it seems a funny way to announce a product, on a rumour site with no product pictures or anything save an updated roadmap from another website.
And still no confirmation of the A7s pricing. Apart from the A77 ii, a bit of a damp May day squib in Sony Land.
Exactly my point - better expressed. Thank you. I thought I was going mad at what appeared to be nothing more than a crop from a photograph. I can't find any reference from Sony or anyone else, other than the rumour sites you have also found.

LouisB