The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony E-mount 16-70mm or 24-70mm for the A7R? does it make a difference?

goodbyecanon

I'm trying to decide between the Sony E 16-70mm and FE 24-70mm lenses for my new A7R. The former is 24-105mm full-frame equivalent (using a 1.5x crop factor), while the latter is 24-70mm full-frame. So effectively, I'm coming out ahead by getting the 16-70mm because I get a wider range (24-105 instead of 24-70).

Also the 16-70mm is a $100 cheaper. Both lenses seem to be identical in every other way (constant f/4 aperture and Carl Zeiss optics).

Is there any reason I should get the FE 24-70 instead of the E 16-70?

gurtch

The E lens, I am pretty sure, is not a full frame lens, and will vignette on the A 7r. If that is Ok with you, you can use it.
Dave in NJ

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
The 16-70 is a APS lens so your image will increase 1.5 times but you will also cut your mpx down 1.5 times . So from 36 mpx to 24x. You can certainly do that but you will have a 24-105 lens at 24mpx

goodbyecanon

Thanks for the responses. I didn't realize that the crop sensor lens also affects resolution. I had assumed that it is still a 36MP picture. Because of this, I will stick to the full-frame lens.

Guy Mancuso

Yea what happens the camera will crop to the APS size on auto in the menus. You can turn that off but you will see black in the frame that the lens did not cover. Now it's still not a bad thing to get a 24mpx image but you are losing from 36. Best to stay with the FE lenses or A lenses with adapter for the FE mount.

Btw welcome to the forum and you did ask a good question. This stuff can be confusing

Guy Mancuso

May 1st some big announcements coming, not sure what but Sigma does have a 24-105 coming out in a A mount. Need a adapter for it the Sony 4 one but if all else fails might be a good option. Big though

Guy Mancuso

I would wait till next week. Just not sure what's coming out but a FE 24-105 certainly would welcome for sure.

iiiNelson

Actually crop mode yields 15 megapixels on the A7r and 10 on the A7. So you will have an even smaller image.