Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sony A7r and the WATE

Shek O, Hong Kong
    Leica | Angenieux | Alpa | Hasselblad | Phase One
    www.raymondchak.com
    Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Raymond Australia is a harsh lighting photographic location. The lighting is rarely soft, whereas a lot of Asia, even mid morning has great lighting.

I agree, the A7r and WATE, size and weight is great!!

Another shot from the other morning. A7r WATE

Charles Kalnins
    Tallai, Queensland Australia.

http://kalnins.zenfolio.com

Post Thanks / Like

I just bought a compact WA for my 7R, size likes a lens cap : D

www.raymondchak.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone an opinion how the WATE at 21 compares to the current Zeiss T* 21mm/2.8?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have the original CY 21/2.8, and am familiar with the WATE only from the terrific images and MTF. They are surprisingly similar, the kind of lenses that makers like Canon and Nikon would reject, most likely.

I think of these Distagons as very high impact lenses - photographic lenses - so if low/no distortion and antiseptic performance is desirable, look elsewhere! Canon's TSE series and the 14-24/2.8 Nikkor will suit that buyer class much better.

The WATE is better at wider FLs than at 21mm, has a little more vignetting at same apertures, so the 21/2.8 handily betters it in corners, in particular - at 21mm. Both have moustache distortion - love it or hate it, me I love it and seldom correct it, as corner definition matters more - but the WATE concentrates its heavy distortion at wider FLs, and by 21mm it's down to 1.5%, where the 21/2.8 has 2.5% with a bigger kick up at far corners. Both are super contrast, so the new high dynamic range sensors suit them to a T.

As with the new Distagon 15/2.8 (also a terrific lens) the 21/2.8 is excellent at the f2.8 stop the WATE cannot make. This is true particularly for the later 'warmed over' 21/2.8 in ZE/F form - Zeiss are now concentrating harder on both close focus and wider aperture performance than they formerly did. The Zeiss at f4 is substantially better everywhere in the frame than the WATE, with that biting micro-contrast the lens is famous for. It seems to tear away at the subject at times - the epitome of the Zeiss look. It's also a low 'focus mistake' lens because OOF is so well managed - just a whisker off infinity and it all looks fine.

The CY version is 530 grams; the ZF version is 600 grams, the ZE version is 720 grams; the WATE is a mere 335 grams, and much smaller and shorter. All this is important for the a7/r as you will be adding the adapter weight and bulk.

Note also that Zeiss will up the ante soon with new WAs, reportedly in 24/2 and 21/2.8 form, with the 24/2 first up:

Sony E and FE Lenses | Sans Mirror — mirrorless, interchangeable lens cameras | Thom Hogan

Their last three FF lenses in manual focus are the 135/2 APO Sonnar, the Distagon 15/2.8 and the Otus. What will they do for FE? Thousands will be watching. Especially Leica M folks ;-)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your detailed thoughts, Philip.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The WATE indoors at the Venice Carnival. Works very well with the A7R, but I found out the hard way that the DoF scale is overly optimistic.
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is one taken outdoors. It was already cropped to 4x3, sorry. The lack of focal length metadata is a problem when attempting to correct distortion in ACR.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Let's try again
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Stonecutters Bridge, Hong Kong
    www.raymondchak.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Stonecutters Bridge, Hong Kong - Night
    www.raymondchak.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    I think the adapters were a stopgap solution until native lenses are released. I think you have a specialized need that admittedly many of us enthusiast have. As for the A77 or other A mount cameras - it may be a great fit for you if it works accordingly for your needs. I think it's only a matter of time before Sony completely drops the SLT in favor of just making a mirrorless A-mount camera as it just makes more sense to me provided the body is still ergonomic.
    I don't think we will see a mirrorless A mount camera for quite some time.
    On sensor PDAF was never designed for A Mount glass, correct me if I am wrong though. CDAF is all that works and although accurate, very slow, hence the reason for the SLT mirror or in this case the same applies to both Nikon and Canon have to have a mirror and a separate AF system that has been around forever and all these lenses were all designed for this.

I think the next A Sony A mount camera will still have the SLT in place though maybe a way to swing it up, like MLU with CDAF for those who need that extra 1/3rd stop of light that SLT eats up.

I just sold my A99 and picked up a A77II and I have my A7. Like all of us, frustrating that Sony is slow to release FF FE lenses, has anyone tried the A Mount Zeiss 16-35 with the Sony adaptor? I am sire it will be no where as good as the WATE though and I am not holding my breath for Sony's new WA FE FF Zoom, it will probably be just ok but not great who knows hope I am wrong we will see..
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The big system users do have it tough, I don't get frustrated as I have the same WATE standard WA lens as used on the a99 (CY 21mm), but now the a7r makes it that much better!

The FE WA zoom will please if it's as good as Canon's of that spec for a little less money and around 500 grams. People may use their frustration to raise expectations, you can't ask more than what the other guys do..but that won't stop people staring a hole in the corners of a 100% view.

A Zeiss prime will be very different, it has to be SEM / Distagon standard or forget about it. lol.

Post Thanks / Like

I visited China earlier this month and had my WATE. This is one shot at 21mm. I had to crop about 800-900 pixels on the right side because this was taken from my hotel window (in Longsheng China) and there was a beam blocking the view. I cropped 300 pixels off the top and resized.
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post