The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony A7r and the WATE

ThomasZ

Hi all,

first post here. As a landscape photographer (some shots) I am considering the Leica WATE 16-18-21 as my new wide angle lens for the A7r. From what I've read, it seems to work well with the Sony. But regarding the price, I hesitate a bit buying it. If anybody of you who owns this lens can post some full sized images, I could compare them to my trustworthy D800/14-24 combo.

Also, I'm of course interested in your opinions about this, especially in comparison to the mighty Nikkor.

Thanks in advance
Tom

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Tom I don't have the WATE anymore but it is said to work well on the A7r from my understanding and it's certainly a lot smaller and lighter than the 14-24 and moreover a easier adapter to use as well. Nikon G to Sony E adapters use a aperture mechanism that you really don't know what aperture your at in use. I sold off all my Nikon glass because of this.

BTW welcome to the forum .

mdg137

I use it on my A7r and am pleased with the results. I really only use it at 16mm, which makes me consider the Zeiss 15mm occasionally, but the WATE is better on the edges, smaller, lighter, and it's like getting an 18mm and 21mm thrown in for free!

rayyen

I do landscape mainly with my tech cam and digital back. I use 7R too and WATE is my choice for wide angle. Small, light, corner to corner sharp. I just love it. Will show some of my photos when I'm back home with a desktop computer.

ThomasZ

Nikon G to Sony E adapters use a aperture mechanism that you really don't know what aperture your at in use. I sold off all my Nikon glass because of this.
I know what you mean. I've bought the Nikon->Nex novoflex adaptor and was amazed by the possibility to use my Nikkors with the A7r. Until I realized how clumsy that works. Shooting without any real clue about the aperture is not that funny.

ThomasZ

I do landscape mainly with my tech cam and digital back. I use 7R too and WATE is my choice for wide angle. Small, light, corner to corner sharp. I just love it. Will show some of my photos when I'm back home with a desktop computer.
Raymond, you have amazing images on your website. Looking forward to the WATE pics.

k-hawinkler

Tom I don't have the WATE anymore but it is said to work well on the A7r from my understanding and it's certainly a lot smaller and lighter than the 14-24 and moreover a easier adapter to use as well. Nikon G to Sony E adapters use a aperture mechanism that you really don't know what aperture your at in use. I sold off all my Nikon glass because of this.

BTW welcome to the forum .

Well, I do know what apertures I am using with the help of the in-camera light meter.

Focus steadily at something with constant ISO. One can then start at the open or closed-down end of the aperture. Then I watch through the viewfinder and count factors of two (1 stop difference) of exposure times changing as I change the aperture. Stop at the desired one. Works every time! ;)

BTW, I have both lenses. The WATE is better in the corners but not as wide. :D

ThomasZ

From what I've read and seen the WATE works great on th A7r. But a new one costs 4400€ here in Germany, so I think I will wait for the announcement and tbe first reviews of the Sony FE wide-angle zoom. Hopefully it will have a better optical quality as the 24-70.

rayyen

Thanks all 7R-buddies :D

I really like this small handy camera (compare to my usual set up: Max + Rodie + DB), it's very comfortable in my hand even when I go hiking on mountain, I can carry it all day without need to put it back inside my backpack with WATE.

IQ, fantastic, what can I complaint, 36MP, razor sharp corner to corner, can count little leave from foreground to background.

Honestly I'm really looking forward to the new 9R :p Hope it's a MF digital with a size like Mamiya 7 :D