The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7R focusing at full aperature?

gurtch

Hi all. I only have two native lenses: the 35 mm and 55mm. For my landscape/ seascape work, I usually shoot aperature preferred, typically f11 to f13. I have used SLRs ( film and digital) for many years, and am used to focusing wide open, either manually, or AF. This gives me a bright view, even in bright daylight, and limited depth of field because of the wide open aperature. I have tried to use my A7r that way, but I must be screwing up, because I cannot do it. If I select Aperature Preferred, set the f stop to, say, f13 the lens (both of them) stop down to shooting aperature, darkening the view somewhat, and making manual focus tweaking impossible, because of the f13 depth of field. I like the DMF idea, that you merely keep your finger on the shutter release after AF, then move the focus ring, and the image magnifies, and you manually tweak focus; but with the lens stopped down, this idea fails for me. Am I screwing up? I am about ready to go back to my DSLRS, which I fortunately kept.
Thanks in advance for the help.
Dave in NJ

gurtch

Hi Guy
The only thing I found in the menus was "LIVE VIEW DISPLAY". The choices are "setting effect" ON or OFF. It makes no difference which I choose, the lens is always stopped down to the selected shooting aperature. Is there another " lens effects" setting in the menues buried somewhere?
Thank you
Dave

chrisd

Under Live View Display (gear menu page 2), select Setting Effect OFF, and then the aperture will remain wide open while composing, until half-pressing the shutter button.

gurtch

Thanks Chrisd. I still can't do what I want. With focus set to DMF, manual focus does not work until I press the shutter half way. When I do that, the lens AFs, but the lens also stops down. Now touching the focus ring, the image magnifies, but the lens is still stopped down.
Is it possible to set the lens f stop, say f16, look through the finder, auto focus, and then tweak manually, with lens wide open, then press the release button, and have the lens stop down, and take the picture? Exactly like DSLRs?
Thanks
Dave

chrisd

Thanks Chrisd. I still can't do what I want. With focus set to DMF, manual focus does not work until I press the shutter half way. When I do that, the lens AFs, but the lens also stops down. Now touching the focus ring, the image magnifies, but the lens is still stopped down.
Is it possible to set the lens f stop, say f16, look through the finder, auto focus, and then tweak manually, with lens wide open, then press the release button, and have the lens stop down, and take the picture? Exactly like DSLRs?
Thanks
Dave
In full MF mode the MF assist focuses with the aperture wide open. If you can use that mode instead, it solves that problem?

gurtch

Thanks again Chrisd. Yes MF works. I really wanted to AF and then tweak manually with aperture open, but apparently it is not possible, or I just have not figured it out yet.
Dave

adakshi

Thanks again Chrisd. Yes MF works. I really wanted to AF and then tweak manually with aperture open, but apparently it is not possible, or I just have not figured it out yet.
Dave
Hello Dave,

Yes it is possible. Here is the technique.

1. Live View Display - Setting effect OFF
2. Focus mode - MF
3. AF/MF switch setting - AF/MF Control Hold

1. With this, you are normally in MF mode with Aperture fully open.
2. Press and hold the AF/MF button, the camera focuses with open aperture and when locked, it closes down the aperture.
3. Release the AF/MF button, now you are back in MF mode but with locked focus and aperture again becomes wide open.
4. Adjust focus manually
5. Half press the shutter in the MF mode and the aperture stops down.
6. Take the picture.

I tried this just now with my A7R and it works. Hope this helps.

Ayan

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Dave,
Set Focus to Manual Focus for AF lenses or MF lenses, not DMF.
You will also have to set item 4 under the cog "AF w/shutter" to OFF. I have Focus Magnif. Time #1 under the cog set to no limit. In addition, if you use manual focus lenses, set the focus magnify to C1 or another button of your choice. I have setting effects set to ON(Live View Display item #2 under the cog), and would only turn it to off when I"m using studio strobes. I have the AF/MF switch in the up position, AF/MF, and Custom Key Setting, #6 under the cog, item AF/MF Button set to AF/MF Control Hold.

The way this works is that i set my aperture where I want it. I press the AF/MF button to focus. Turn the focus ring on the lens and magnify. Tweak the focus with the ring. Press the shutter (and it won't try to re-focus). BTW, I left AEL on the shutter button.

Last edited:

gurtch

Thanks all. I am pleased there is a way to do it. WOW, in some ways things were easier in the old days; at my age (77) I find myself saying that more and more frequently. Then I recall making 16"x20" type C color prints in my darkroom in trays and rubber gloves.
Best regards to all.....this is a great place.
Dave

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Thanks all. I am pleased there is a way to do it. WOW, in some ways things were easier in the old days; at my age (77) I find myself saying that more and more frequently. Then I recall making 16"x20" type C color prints in my darkroom in trays and rubber gloves.
Best regards to all.....this is a great place.
Dave
Dave,
The good news is that once you get it set up for your work, you can just forget those deep menus and enjoy the camera.:clap: