The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

35-70 C/Y Vario-Sonnar on A7/r?

The 28mm f2.8 Distagon and the 50 1.4 Planar in C/Y mount provide wonderful IQ on A7/r, but I wonder about the 35-70 zoom – is anybody using it?

I've been thinking it would be handy to have a zoom for when I want to carry only one lens, and the old reviews say this zoom's IQ was almost the same as the primes. But I also read that the unusual one-ring adjustment feature might create a vacuum and drag dust into the camera/lens chamber?

So how about IQ and dust? Any experience? I know it's a big one – does it feel clumsy, or does it handle pretty well?

Kirk

PS, images from the C/Y Zeiss 28 and 50 are impressive in their almost 3D quality and their fine tonal gradations – and they aren't as super-contrasty the new Sony Zeiss lenses. I'll try to find time for a longer post about them….

Last edited:

JoelM

The 35-70/3.4 works fantastically on the A7r. I have been pleased with it. As for pumping dust, I haven't noticed any issues whatsoever. It's a short throw being a small lens so it isn't like an older 80-200 or 100-300 say. The other zoom I use with great success is the Nikon 25-50/4. That said, if the newly announced 16-35 Zeiss is good, I'll likely start using that and put the Nikon on the shelf. I'm waiting on ordering the 70-200 as well as my aging eyes are thinking that perhaps autofocus isn't such a bad thing these days and perhaps my M lenses will mostly stay with the Leica system.

My $0.02,

Joel

jonoslack

HI There Kirk
I have the Carl Zeiss Vario Sonnar 28-85 f3.3-f4 lens - a little bigger, but still a fantastic lens. I used it quite a bit on the A7 (I also use it on the M).
It's the poor man's Leica 28-90 R, and back in the day it was nearly as expensive. Now it's about 1/10th price!
all the best

iiiNelson

I have a lot of other C/Y lenses (85, 100, 135, and 180) and they all have excellent optical quality. I bought the MM versions of all of my lenses as certain models were "upgraded." Most AE versions are great though. The main difference is more modern lens coatings and aperture blade designs.

The 35-70 is regularly rated as the best zoom in the C/Y system along with the 100-300. Both are said to rival the primes in the focal lengths with speed being the largest difference.

Thank you, gentlemen, for sharing your advice. Looks like there's a consensus that it's a winner – I think I'll go ahead!

Kirk

philip_pj

I have one and won't need an FE 24-70 because of it. Try to find a good one, they are 20 years old now. Tens of thousands were made fortunately - back then photographers knew the value of short range zooms - there are several other fine 2:1 midzooms - Leica R, Minolta, even Nikon.

The short end needs stopping down more and is weaker than the 50mm and up FLs. And CA enters the picture slightly at 35-40mm on the a7r but in all other respects it is as good as anything similar made today, I would expect. At 50mm it is very very good indeed - right into the corners, no distortion. Lovely soft palette, low contrast with huge detailed micro-contrast - would be great for those soft English (or New England) afternoons in low light.

It's the 'character' lens type I hoped for in FE. And it weighs less than a ZE 35mm f2, some weights:

ZE 35/2: 570 grams
CY 35-70: 475 grams
FE 24-70: 426 grams

http://www.zeiss.com/content/dam/Ph.../contax_yashica/vario-sonnar3-4_35-70mm_e.pdf

Also has good macro and excellent bokeh. Flaws? Slow, optimised at f8-f11, so really a landscape lens that is surprisingly good for portraits in good light (a7r can crop plenty if needed). Some hate push-pull. Focus should be buttery, no play anywhere - I know because I bought one NIB from Ffordes - (very) old store stock.

soboyle

Old thread but I'll add my 2 cents, the 35-70 vario-sonnar is excellent on the A7r. Much sharper than the FE 24-70. I haven't tested it directly against the FE 35 2.8, but I suspect it will give it a run for it's money. It doesn't replace the FE lenses because sometime you need the fast autofocus. Still, for slower tripod work the 35-70 is my first choice.
I also have the C/Y 200 f/4 tele-tessar that I'm interested in testing on the A7r. And for kicks I'll pull out my first lens, a Yashica 50 1.7