The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

In Case anyone cares - me and the A7

jonoslack

hmm. Testing the X-T1 against my E-M1, I found the E-M1 to be much more responsive. And I prefer the look of photos made with it and the Summilux-DG 25/Macro-Elmarit-DG 45 to anything I got out of the X-T1 and its equivalent lenses. With luck, our Leica rep will be at the store tomorrow AND I'll have time to stop over there to see the T.

Meanwhile, I'm pretty darn happy with the A7 and the lenses I've collected to use with it. It's responsive enough, the EVF is good enough, the sensor is excellent, etc.
Gads, I have too darn many cameras ... !

G
Hi Godfrey - I was only talking about the shutter lag when it 'all works'. I quite agree that the E-M1 is more responsive, and I also prefer the images from it.

Witness the fact that my E-M1 is snuggled up nice and warm in my photo cabinet and the X-T1 has become the demo camera at the dealers!

Barry Haines

I tried, I really did, but I couldn't manage.
On the other hand, the principle is fantastic . . . so
I already sold the A7r. Now my A7 kit is on ebay . . . but
The 55 f1.8 and the 24-70 zoom are snuggled up in my lens cabinet, waiting for the 36mp camera with EFC and proper weather sealing and no shutter lag.

Then I'll be back!
all the best
Glad to hear it Arnie.
I have only just spotted this thread as I rarely head out of "Having fun with the A7/R" thread.
The 55 F1.8 is just too good to give up on altogether...I am sure Sony will deliver the camera oneday that you are thirsting for. :thumbup:
Cheers from BODMIN.

Thx Jono for your helpful posts before leaving the Sonys behind. I almost followed you folks who made this choice, but have made the pleasant discovery of middle-aged Zeiss Contax lenses on A7. These and M9 are keeping me happy 'til I see the perfect 36MP camera you mentioned.

Kirk

Homage to Walker Evans, 50 f1.4 Zeiss C/Y Planar on A7:

50mm f1.4 Planar (C/Y) on A7 by thompsonkirk, on Flickr

turtle

I can certainly understand this decision and once one has good lenses, its nuts to sell them. Getting good copies can be so hard.

FWIW, I find the A7 lag much better than the A7R, but noticed that even in MF mode it was there.... until I switched on 'shutter release priority' and now it is very snappy and plenty good enough for sone focused street work, which is how I tend to shoot. You also get a fully 5+ FPS with no hesitation at all.

Just waiting for the Zeiss manual lenses now!

ptomsu

Workshop Member
hmm. Testing the X-T1 against my E-M1, I found the E-M1 to be much more responsive. And I prefer the look of photos made with it and the Summilux-DG 25/Macro-Elmarit-DG 45 to anything I got out of the X-T1 and its equivalent lenses. With luck, our Leica rep will be at the store tomorrow AND I'll have time to stop over there to see the T.

Meanwhile, I'm pretty darn happy with the A7 and the lenses I've collected to use with it. It's responsive enough, the EVF is good enough, the sensor is excellent, etc.
Gads, I have too darn many cameras ... !

G
I made the switch to the XT1 some weeks ago and I am more than happy with the results. Never ever could get similar results with my EM1. Colors, DR, high ISO noise etc are much better than the EM1. The EM1 is a tick faster/snappier I agree, but not enough to outweigh the other advantages of the XT1. Also I do prefer the lens lineup of the Fujis compared to the Olympus, especially when taking into account all the really cheap plastic Oly glass available, while optically good it is not nice to touch and feel and the Fuji counterparts (if there are comparisons) fell better, remind me more of my old Nikkor or Leica R lenses and are optically at least same level, most times noticeably better and all for a very reasonable price. Plus the XT1 EVF after using it now extensively is for sure topping all other EVFs currently around.

So for me the XT1 is the currently best mirror less camera (system) available.

Godfrey

I made the switch to the XT1 some weeks ago and I am more than happy with the results. Never ever could get similar results with my EM1. Colors, DR, high ISO noise etc are much better than the EM1. The EM1 is a tick faster/snappier I agree, but not enough to outweigh the other advantages of the XT1. Also I do prefer the lens lineup of the Fujis compared to the Olympus, especially when taking into account all the really cheap plastic Oly glass available, while optically good it is not nice to touch and feel and the Fuji counterparts (if there are comparisons) fell better, remind me more of my old Nikkor or Leica R lenses and are optically at least same level, most times noticeably better and all for a very reasonable price. Plus the XT1 EVF after using it now extensively is for sure topping all other EVFs currently around.

Whatever floats your boat is fine for you. I'm so tired of the "what I like is the best there is" kind of back and forth nonsense.

'Scuse me if I sound crabby.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Whatever floats your boat is fine for you. I'm so tired of the "what I like is the best there is" kind of back and forth nonsense.

'Scuse me if I sound crabby.
No problem, but same is true for you Godfrey!

After so many years in photography I could not care less about what others find to be the best for them. And you are right, the same should be true for me. SO I should have better said " What I like is currently the best mirror less system for ME"! Which BTW hopefully is true because otherwise why would one change equipment then?

So for you the best cameras currently are the EM1 and the A7, which is fine, only that for me I owned the EM1 and was happy with it, but not with the rest of the system and the A7 which I tried and simply could not get friend with, as there are so many shortcomings for me that it simply did not play. But I understand that both cameras might be better for others of course.

Simply my mind has changed for the time being and I am happy. Finally all what counts for me :) And maybe some others will be able to learn from that, or have already if looking at sales numbers and how well the XT1 is really accepted. But I admit that also Sony recently increased sales of their photographic division significantly, so obviously there are others who like it - nothing bad with that!

Godfrey

No problem, but same is true for you Godfrey! ...
I never say "Mine is the best". I more usually say, "I don't like that one" or "I find this one outperforms that one on these specific things."

The situation is both simpler and more complex than what you said. I don't look at cameras seeking what is "best for me" at all. I look at cameras seeking what works for the purposes I want to use them for.

I bought the A7 because I wanted to use the R lenses I'd acquired on a FF digital sensor. I think the camera's a bit crude and clunky, but the sensor is excellent, the viewfinder is close to excellent, and there's just enough customization available that I can make the body work well for my hands. The sensor works well with these lenses, so it suits what I bought it to do.

I bought the E-M1 as it seemed the 'fusion point' that I'd been waiting to see between the FT SLR and mFT camera lines. I liked the controls and configurability. Just like with its predecessor, the E-5, the sensor is excellent but takes a bit of learning to get the most out of.

Once the processing learned, the E-M1 raw files are very manipulable and stand up nicely even next to the A7 raw files except at the extremes of sensitivity (say, up to ISO 6400) and print sizing. The lenses I chose beyond what I already had in FT SLR lenses (11-22, 35 Macro, 50-200) are all premium grade performers (Summilux 25, Macro-Elmarit 45, M.Zuiko 75) with the exception of the petite Lumix 14mm and its wide extender (which I bought used for $135 and $129 respectively) in order to have a compact and light wide available. It does surprisingly well nonetheless.

The camera produces the results I wanted when I use it, so I'm satisfied with it. Is it "the best for me"? Well, if it were, I wouldn't have 13 camera systems cluttering up the closet. I even use most of them. ;-)

Why don't I like the Fuji then? For several reasons:
- I find the controls cluttered and complex.
- It doesn't fit my hands well.
- Processing the Xtrans sensor raw data is excessively fiddly, even with the most current software I use, and I'm NOT going to change software for one camera.

Is it a bad camera? No, it's a damn good camera. If you like it, enjoy it, use it, make great photos with it. Just don't keep telling me that it's "the best mirrorless camera out there." It's a good camera, but it has zero appeal to me.

G

GlenC

Thanks for your opinions about the X-T1, I'm always interested to hear about other camera's strengths and weaknesses as experienced by other owners. I purchased an X-T1 about 2 months ago and returned it only because I had trouble with the exposure compensation dial. I wasn't able to adjust it while I had the camera up to my eye (like I can with my D800). I think fuji has some great lenses, in fact I still have 3 of them hoping the x-pro2 will appear at Photokina.