Site Sponsors

Thread: ebook made with Sony

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

ebook made with Sony

I have made an ebook for iPad with a selection of images from a few years of exploration of abandoned places (mostly industries).

The ebook is free (so you would not end up paying more than it's worth) and available here
    ALL THINGS DEVOURED (e-book) | Blurb

If you do not have an iPad (or a software like Calibre for PC) there is a web preview available.

Your criticism is more than welcome: it is asked for! Thanks.

Now to the technical side. The photos were taken by a Nex 5 (1st series), a Nex C3 and an A7. No Sony lens was used.
    All wide-angles are either CV 15 on NexC3 or Nikon 17-35 on A7.
    Normals are Minolta M-Rokkor 40/2, Contax G 45/2, Canon FD 50/1.4 or, more frequently, Contax C/Y Planar 50/1.4.
    Teles are Nikon 135/2.8, Canon FD 200/4, Contax G 90/2.8 or Contax C/Y 80-200/4.
    A few taken with my uncoated Leica Summar did not make to the final.
    Last edited by f64; 7th May 2014 at 08:50. Reason: I had linked the Italian store instead of the US one. Sorry. Instructions should be clearer now
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: ebook made with Sony

Following Oscar Wilde (only a fool does not judge a book from its cover), I thought I'd put the cover here

(the powerhouse of a quite large chemical plant)

and remind early birds that the link below takes them to an English download page (rather than to an Italian one):

ALL THINGS DEVOURED (ebook)

Thanks for the likes, but negative comments are also welcome (shouldn't be too hard, right?). The book is free, but I understand your time isn't.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay Ill start looks nice and nice concept. Couple things bother me but this comes from a photographer so i look for many things normal viewers may not. Barrel distortion in a lot of shots looks a little unfinished. On the creative side in some images you did place a foreground object which i like as it leads you in to the image. Some do not and Im left looking at a blank floor lets say and my eye stays there. This is a composition issue and its a visual plus to have your images that lead you around the image. Especially if you don't have a major highlight that draws you to it. So this is not just a rule of thirds thing far from it its more of something that can go in many directions to lead you in. Diagonal , circles , zebra, verticals horizontal objects and direction that move you around the image is something you want to strive for. Hope that helps
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for.
    Check for the barrel distortion.
    I'm very interested in the composition issues you raise, but I would need you to point me to a specific image(s) to understand it. When you have time...

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Pages 16-20 see the blanks in the foreground areas now look at page 21 with the clock. Thats perfect, something of interest to bring you in. I know very hard to describe in the written word here and sorry about that but if you can start thinking more about lead in and drawing the viewers eye in when you get out there shooting and experiment with it and composition will come to you. I hope this helps and gets you in gear and not deter you as you have a good eye just needs to develop more. But we all do. Seriously my signature below is not a fancy comment its the dang truth.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks, much clearer now. I think I understand what you mean, but I need to metabolize it. I really appreciate your time and your comments.

Post Thanks / Like

Cannot find where the web site link is.
    Looks like an interesting project that is worthwhile to see.

Thanks Paul

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just click on ALL THINGS DEVOURED under the cover image