The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

ebook made with Sony

f64

I have made an ebook for iPad with a selection of images from a few years of exploration of abandoned places (mostly industries).

The ebook is free (so you would not end up paying more than it's worth) and available here
ALL THINGS DEVOURED (e-book) | Blurb

If you do not have an iPad (or a software like Calibre for PC) there is a web preview available.

Your criticism is more than welcome: it is asked for! Thanks.

Now to the technical side. The photos were taken by a Nex 5 (1st series), a Nex C3 and an A7. No Sony lens was used.
All wide-angles are either CV 15 on NexC3 or Nikon 17-35 on A7.
Normals are Minolta M-Rokkor 40/2, Contax G 45/2, Canon FD 50/1.4 or, more frequently, Contax C/Y Planar 50/1.4.
Teles are Nikon 135/2.8, Canon FD 200/4, Contax G 90/2.8 or Contax C/Y 80-200/4.
A few taken with my uncoated Leica Summar did not make to the final.

Last edited:

f64

Following Oscar Wilde (only a fool does not judge a book from its cover), I thought I'd put the cover here

(the powerhouse of a quite large chemical plant)

and remind early birds that the link below takes them to an English download page (rather than to an Italian one):

ALL THINGS DEVOURED (ebook)

Thanks for the likes, but negative comments are also welcome (shouldn't be too hard, right?). The book is free, but I understand your time isn't.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Okay Ill start looks nice and nice concept. Couple things bother me but this comes from a photographer so i look for many things normal viewers may not. Barrel distortion in a lot of shots looks a little unfinished. On the creative side in some images you did place a foreground object which i like as it leads you in to the image. Some do not and Im left looking at a blank floor lets say and my eye stays there. This is a composition issue and its a visual plus to have your images that lead you around the image. Especially if you don't have a major highlight that draws you to it. So this is not just a rule of thirds thing far from it its more of something that can go in many directions to lead you in. Diagonal , circles , zebra, verticals horizontal objects and direction that move you around the image is something you want to strive for. Hope that helps

f64

Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for.
Check for the barrel distortion.
I'm very interested in the composition issues you raise, but I would need you to point me to a specific image(s) to understand it. When you have time...

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Pages 16-20 see the blanks in the foreground areas now look at page 21 with the clock. Thats perfect, something of interest to bring you in. I know very hard to describe in the written word here and sorry about that but if you can start thinking more about lead in and drawing the viewers eye in when you get out there shooting and experiment with it and composition will come to you. I hope this helps and gets you in gear and not deter you as you have a good eye just needs to develop more. But we all do. Seriously my signature below is not a fancy comment its the dang truth.

f64

Thanks, much clearer now. I think I understand what you mean, but I need to metabolize it. I really appreciate your time and your comments.

camping

Cannot find where the web site link is.
Looks like an interesting project that is worthwhile to see.

Thanks Paul