The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony A7r with Canon FD lenses

felix5616

I would like to hear from anyone using a sony A7r with canon FD lenses, especially the 17mm f/4, 20mm f/2.8 and 35mm f/2 lenses

Michiel Schierbeek

The 20mm is marvelous on my A7r. The 17mm does not have a very good reputation (I don't have it) but I saw some reasonable examples on FM but not the quality of the 20mm.
The 35 is fine as well.

[/url]​

Thomas Fallon

I took the word of the posters here and bought an FD. I got the 400mm 2.8. Might as well start big. I guess my A7R will look like little more than a lens cap on it. What is the best adapter to get?

turtle

I've commented on a number of the Canon FDn lenses on the Sony A7/R on my blog (Canon FDn & Olympus Zuiko OM Lenses on the Sony A7/R: Part 1)

In short, the 35mm f2.8 and 50mm f1.4 are spectacular and the 20mm is very good. The 20mm cannot match my 16-28mm Tokina EF on a metabones adaptor (stunning), but then again few primes of any vintage can match that zoom.

If manual focus is all you need (landscapes), I would consider nothing other than the FDn 50mm 1.4 and 35mm f2.8. They are that good.

Ben Rubinstein

I just got my my FD 20mm and 24mm f2.8 lenses.

I've uploaded a bunch of test files if anyone is interested (warning 500mb+ file). Shots at all apertures working from f2.8 to f22. Focus on the tree trunk at f2.8 then not touched. I included a refocused shot at f11 to test for focus shift.

Ok first the lenses. The 24mm is tiny and very pleasant to use. With the FD flange distance being shorter than most SLR's, the lens mounted to the A7r is really small and comfortable. Manual focus is a dream. The 20mm is larger but still a very neat package on the Sony. The entire front of the lens rotates with focus which threw me somewhat, will be a pain for using a polariser, in fact as only the very rear of the lens stays stationary, bit annoying when trying to mount the lens. Other than that it's just as nice to focus.

I have the 24mm f2 lens on the way, going to test the two against each other and keep the one I prefer. To be honest I'm hoping it's better than the f2.8 version which although much better than the Pentax K 24mm I had, is still lacking somewhat IMO.