The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony A7R New battery question

felix5616

I received my sony A7R today. Why have a battery charge in the camera rather than a seperate battery charger? how long deos it take to fully charge a new battery.

Annna T

... do charge the internal battery through
usb the first time at least.
Please can you tell why and where you read about it ? Is it only true for the first original battery coming with the body (aka it has something to do with the body) ? Or is this also valid for any spare batteries bought separately (it has something to do with the batteries themselves and their coupling with the body ) ?

Knorp

Never charged any of my four batteries internally.
And all is still well ... :)

Kind regards.

philip_pj

As I understood it from the web fora, you need to charge the internal battery via the cord rather than simply putting in a charged up battery - first charge only apparently. Some people had camera trouble doing the latter.

And it's best to use OEM batteries and chargers, they are both better and safer.

iiiNelson

Please can you tell why and where you read about it ? Is it only true for the first original battery coming with the body (aka it has something to do with the body) ? Or is this also valid for any spare batteries bought separately (it has something to do with the batteries themselves and their coupling with the body ) ?
The internal camera battery that maintains settings, clock, etc only gets charged by plugging the USB in and charging it when the camera comes from factory.

It's in the manual.

After that initial charge I recommend an external wall charger. They charge the batteries faster IMO.

Knorp

There's nothing in any manual suggesting you should charge your new battery internally (in camera) for the first time.
However this is from the Help-guide regarding the internal battery:

Interchangeable Lens Digital Camera
ILCE-7/ILCE-7R

On the internal rechargeable battery

This camera has an internal rechargeable battery for maintaining the date and time and other settings
regardless of whether the power is on or off, or whether the battery pack is charged or discharged. This
rechargeable battery is continually charged as long as you are using the product. However, if you use the
product for only short periods, it gradually discharges. If you do not use the product at all for about 2 month(s) it
becomes completely discharged. In this case, be sure to charge this rechargeable battery before using the
product. However, even if this rechargeable battery is not charged, you can still use the product as long as you
do not record the date and time.

Charging method of the internal rechargeable battery
Insert a charged battery pack into the product, or connect the product to a wall outlet (wall socket) using the AC
Adaptor (supplied), and leave the product for 24 hours or more with the power off.