Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: I need an A7R WA solution NOW

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: I need an A7R WA solution NOW

There is a single rental place in the country, it's 80 miles away, I don't own a car (1.5 hours on buses each way) and the job wouldn't have been worth it after paying travel there and back, time and rental fees. I did think of starting a rental place here once in Jerusalem, there are more PJ's in this city per square meter than in any other city in the world plus 5 photography colleges and multiple other training programs. Couldn't get the funding at the time. I still think it's a good idea for someone with the backing and organisational skills.

I do have a cheap dumb canon EF adaptor, a pentax K, a pentax m42 and an OM but that's in the UK. Not a Nikon yet. I might try and do the job with a 35mm, I do have one which is ok at f8. I'll scout the area on Sunday and see how wide I need. It's for a college group photo, about 40 kids. Not really what you want to do without a good lens and to be honest with a wider lens I could go close and get the college building in the background for effect.
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dwood View Post
    Stefan - I'll bet the Nikon 14-24 is great with the A7R, but man, that's a big, heavy piece of glass.
    who wants to shoot sharp - needs to suffer.....
    and yes it´s heavy, but actually a 14mm , a 17mm, a 20mm and a 24mm would weigh MUCH more combined. So....

Greetings from Germany
    Stefan
    because photography is more than technology - and " as we have done this all the time "
    facebook:hcam.de - www.hcam.de - www.hartblei.de
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Agree. I saved weight and bulk on the camera bodies. The lenses thats a different story. It is what it is to get the quality your after. The Zeiss 18 and 25 F2 are really not that big at all. Its the 21mm that is big and the 35 1.4. The 35mm F2 is not bad either. You get into anything at 1.4 it will be big just no getting around it but there are a lot of F2 lenses that are not excessive. The Nikon 14-24 is big no question but a lot of folks love them. I had a not so great copy as it focused creeped really bad, but mine was the exception not the rule.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'd kill for the Zeiss 25mm and 18mm. Would take them in a second over a zoom. Can't begin to afford both though, such is life. I think I could afford a 14-24 with Stefans mod and the tilt adaptor for less the price of both those primes.
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Post Thanks / Like

As long as we're chatting about Stefan's hulking 14-24 on this tiny camera, has anyone here tried the hefty ZA 16-35/2.8 with an LA-EA4 adapter?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Actually I might be able to afford both if I stretch a point, Guy can I borrow your helmet?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Steib View Post
    Beni - as Guy said - rent. And - try the Nikon 14-24mm
    Yes it is expensive, but you already have the Novoflex Nikon adapter as much as I know so you will see THAT is the lens that hums on the 36 Mpix.

with or without movements....

Greetings from Germany
    Stefan

Hi Stefan,
    Is this adaptor sold with the tripod mount?
    Does it allow to rotate the body only? ex: if i shoot in portait mode with say 0,5mm shift rise and 1°tilt, can i just rotate the body to shoot in landscape mode and keep all the shift+tilt in the same position ?

If yes i' d like to buy one of this tilt/shift adapter , please let me know how to proceed.
    Sincerely
    David
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

My current Canon 17-40L is not a small lens but it is actually surprisingly light.
    The just announced new version (17-35 tho) is one lens to watch. It "must" be considerably sharper than the former one, especially in the corners. It is a bit more around $1.1K USd. If Canon kept it as light, then this could be an answer. Not small but light, sounds good enough for me. The other way would be to spend the huge bucks for a Leica lens.
    The 17-40L was revolutionary at its time of release. Its combination of good construction, performance, lightness and price was and remains unbeatable for a FF wide-angle zoom lens.
    Eduardo

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dwood View Post
    As long as we're chatting about Stefan's hulking 14-24 on this tiny camera, has anyone here tried the hefty ZA 16-35/2.8 with an LA-EA4 adapter?
    I was actually considering this myself. From what i read its really good at 16 and pretty good through the range but 35 just okay which is fine with me since i have a Sigma 35 1.4 thats killer good. Its a thought and its a 2.8 which works for me.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rubinstein View Post
    Actually I might be able to afford both if I stretch a point, Guy can I borrow your helmet?
    Packing it mow for shipping. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

I must agree to Stefan - the Nikkor 14-24 is the one to beat here. It is easily as good as any prime. Look at this link, it can't even be beaten by the mighty Zeiss 15mm F2.8.

Unfortunately, it is such a massive thing. I have the Novoflex adapter and it looks so stupid when mounted to the A7r. And the Nikkor is a G-lens, that means it has no aperture ring. You have to set the aperture at the Novoflex adapter. That works somehow, but you have to guess at which aperture you are.

I would love to see a comparison between the Nikkor 14-24 and the WATE. If the WATE would deliver this kind of performance, I will probably buy it, regardless of the 5000€ price tag here in Germany.

Post Thanks / Like

This is how it looks. Even on a D800 it is a big lens - on the A7 its a monster.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not sure that the canon 16-35L is that much smaller, f2.8 on that zoom range doesn't come small worse luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by daf View Post
    Hi Stefan,
    Is this adaptor sold with the tripod mount?
    Does it allow to rotate the body only? ex: if i shoot in portait mode with say 0,5mm shift rise and 1°tilt, can i just rotate the body to shoot in landscape mode and keep all the shift+tilt in the same position ?

If yes i' d like to buy one of this tilt/shift adapter , please let me know how to proceed.
    Sincerely
    David
    David - the version you see on the photo can rotate the camera 360 degrees the lens stands still, the shift is horizontal with that foot. to get vertical shift you need to either take if off the foot and mount the camera or move the tripod head 90 degrees sidewards.

But.... we are working on a fully rotational version. Soon...!

Greetings from Germany
    Stefan
    because photography is more than technology - and " as we have done this all the time "
    facebook:hcam.de - www.hcam.de - www.hartblei.de

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lowered the price on my Zeiss 25mm F2 without adapter better check it folks. B&S

Post Thanks / Like

I have doing pretty well with the Minolta 20 2.8 (same design as sony version). It's still relatively compact even with the LAEA4 adapter. Will hold on to it until the wide angle FE zoom is released.

Post Thanks / Like

How odd that SAR reported the rumor of an incoming FE16-35mm about a month ago. There have been two subsequent Sony product announcements, and still no sign of this lens.

The FE lens roadmap indicates two lenses being released this summer. I'm hoping that doesn't stretch all the way to Photokina.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No question it will why I'm not banking on it yet. No pre orders means its a long wait. My guess end of year. When its out and some tests on it than I will think about it until than I'm going with my plan. Whatever the heck that is but waiting is not in my plans. I need to eat just like other Pros.

Let me take you back a moment. It took almost 3 years to see a full set of Leica S lenses. Okay Leica is slow as hell but even cutting that in Sony time like half than its a 1.5 and frankly you look at the roadmap and that's about exactly what it is. We all know Sony is on a warpath and that's awesome for us but they put out another lens like the 24-70 that distorts like a Samyang 14mm than there not going to last long in the upper levels of shooters. It's that simple we will not tolerate it and move on. They want to grow in the market than it needs quality products and that takes time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I should add here they are doing a remarkable job of it too. But you can't produce miracles everyday either.

Post Thanks / Like

Guy - Sony has been dead-on schedule with their lens roadmap. So far.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

They have but a full set is not for awhile yet. Still no word on any fast primes. No primes leaves me dead cold in the water. I would love to replace my 85 and 135 A glass and so would many. There is not even a good rumor on that. Yes they have done well and they are doing a good job but I'm not talking about ones or twoseies but a whole system. That takes time and it's the same exact case as Leica S all new mount to bring to market. Sony has been far faster at it but waiting months for a 16-35 is not in the cards for some. I need to shoot today so you need alternate plans until it hits market. Some can wait it out. To me its like holding your bowels you gotta do something soon. Lol

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

In the frighteningly little free time I've had lately, I did a more specific test comparing the performance of the Nikkor 18mm f/3.5 AI-S and Elmarit-R 19mm f/2.8 v1. The question to myself was "Was the Leica 19mm worth almost three times the price of the Nikon 18mm?"

The result is an unequivocal "probably." ]'-)

The Nikkor is a little sharper on center wide open to my eye. The Elmarit-R is always sharper at the edges/corners, even wide open. Both need to be stopped down a couple of stops to reduce corner/edge darkening and hit their stride between f/8 and f/11. The Elmarit become very sharp on center at f/5.6, and continues to excel across the field. The Nikkor's corners improve with every stop down, but even at f/11-f/16, the Elmarit 19 remains slightly sharper and shows less lateral CA than the Nikkor can achieve.

By f/8-f/11, the Nikkor illuminates across the field pretty evenly. The Elmarit, however, shows signs of small amount of real vignetting (actual shading at the absolute corners all the way to fully stopped down. Perhaps it's the lens hood, perhaps it's the Novoflex adapter. I'll have to test it on film with a Leicaflex body to see if it does it there too.

By and large, they both do a good job and both work best around f/11, plus or minus. The Elmarit's corner vignetting is to me less of an issue than the Nikkor's softer corners. But then the Nikkor is a bit smaller, lighter, and easier to handle.

Both are good enough for my needs, as I've said before. I'm usually not so focused on absolute edge qualities for the kinds of photos I make, and a little softness or a bit of vignetting is not a deal buster.

G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream