Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I need an A7R WA solution NOW

Post Thanks / Like

I need an A7R WA solution NOW

Ideally, I'd like a great WA prime to show up in FE mount, but not hearing much on that front lately. I had high hopes of seeing what the announced (well, kind of announced) FE 16-35/f4 was gonna look like, but news of that seems to have faded as well. Right now, it's a timing issue for me. I don't want to go through the summer months without a good WA. I have the FE 24-70/f4, but the 24mm part of that lens is not stellar. I'm thinking something between 21 and 25mm.

So, the lenses I've been trying to learn about/see image examples of, include the Zeiss Distagon 21/f2, ZA 24/f2, Zeiss Distagon 25/f2 and Voigtlander Ultron 21/1.8. At the end of the day, I suspect I'd be pretty darn happy with any of these, but for any of you that own/have owned any of these, I'd love your thoughts on the pros/cons front. AND, what adapters are you using?

-Doug

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I need an A7R WA solution NOW

Have you looked into the Rokinon FE 14mm? It's a bit on the large side however I've had one for several months and like the results. The price wasn't bad either at around $4r30 if I remember. I think I posted a couple samples here somewhere...

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have the Zeiss 25mm F2 in Canon mount with metabones III adapter that i just recently bought brand new at Calumet. Its a fabulous lens but I think I am going to sell it for the Sony ZA 24mm F2 used and pick up a A6000 also if I can pull it off. Okay reason i am thinking of selling is I am loaded with A lenses right now 20mm, 35 Sigma, 85 1.4 and 135 1.8 all A mounts. I only have the 55 1.8 and 28-70 zoom in FE. My thinking is I may go for a A77II or I may not and in that case my Zeiss won't work in A mount. Im trying to stay with the A mount for awhile until I decide if the FE is it or a A body is it so in the meantime i am trying to go all A mount. Seriously the Zeiss is brand new just used it once and need it the next two days for a shoot but can ship it out Friday. You want it or anyone else with the Metabones III adapter box and paperwork I will let them both go for 1750 shipped. I even have the receipt . I bought it February 14th.

Let me know Im off to go play golf. I need a recreation afternoon. Been busy
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I use the Voigtlander adapter with a 21/1.8 Ultron. It's okay but IMO I'd choose a different 21 for the A7 or A7r if I didn't already own it.

The Zeiss Contax 18/21/25, ZE, ZF.2, and Sony 24/2 all appear to be better performing lenses on the A7 series for adapting non-native if you need an UWA.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just FYI the Zeiss 25mm F2 is the newest design and is far better than the 18mm and i think better than the 21mm Zeiss. MTFs are slightly higher than the Sony 24mm F2 in the center. I have had them all and this is by far the best of the lot. I may sacrifice slightly by getting the Sony but I can have more flexibility in the long run. Seriously this one is tough for me to do is sell it. I know how good it is, the Sony I am not sure yet.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don Libby View Post
    Have you looked into the Rokinon FE 14mm? It's a bit on the large side however I've had one for several months and like the results. The price wasn't bad either at around $4r30 if I remember. I think I posted a couple samples here somewhere...

Don
    Hi Don - I have the Samyang badged versions of this that I used on my a99 a few times (both for sale now). It's a pretty cool lens but quickly realized that I don't often shoot ultra-wide, so it's going.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

The Rokinon is a very nice lens and I'm glad its in my bag. I too don't shoot that wide although at the price I couldn't pass it up (besides I was looking for something that would be close to the Touit 12mm on the NEX-7 IR). I'm in the process of deciding on picking up a 24-70 for the new 7r IR and selling my 35 and 55 to finance it.

Best of luck

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    I have the Zeiss 25mm F2 in Canon mount with metabones III adapter that i just recently bought brand new at Calumet. Its a fabulous lens but I think I am going to sell it for the Sony ZA 24mm F2 used and pick up a A6000 also if I can pull it off. Okay reason i am thinking of selling is I am loaded with A lenses right now 20mm, 35 Sigma, 85 1.4 and 135 1.8 all A mounts. I only have the 55 1.8 and 28-70 zoom in FE. My thinking is I may go for a A77II or I may not and in that case my Zeiss won't work in A mount. Im trying to stay with the A mount for awhile until I decide if the FE is it or a A body is it so in the meantime i am trying to go all A mount. Seriously the Zeiss is brand new just used it once and need it the next two days for a shoot but can ship it out Friday. You want it or anyone else with the Metabones III adapter box and paperwork I will let them both go for 1750 shipped. I even have the receipt . I bought it February 14th.

Let me know Im off to go play golf. I need a recreation afternoon. Been busy
    The 25/f2 with adapter is tempting, and I'll certainly consider this. I know this lens has an excellent reputation. I've wondered what IQ differences, if any, might exist between the 25 and the ZA 24/F2. Sony has it on sale right now for $1.3k, and I've seen used ones pop up for ~ $1k. The AF on the ZA might not be bad to have on occasion, but manual is fine by me too. Fore!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Canon just announced a 16-35L f4 IS with apparently very good MTF's. I'm going to wait for the inevitable side by side with the Sony FE 16-35 f4. I'm hoping it's a good fight.
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Good luck on your sale Guy!
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rubinstein View Post
    Canon just announced a 16-35L f4 IS with apparently very good MTF's. I'm going to wait for the inevitable side by side with the Sony FE 16-35 f4. I'm hoping it's a good fight.
    Saw this too and looks like it may be available in June. Bummed that the FE 16-35 has seemingly disappeared from the radar.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've tried the Zeiss 25mm f/2 ZE (for Canon) with the Metabones III adapter and actually prefer the FE 24-70mm. No doubt the Zeiss 25mm is a stellar prime, but the convenience and size of the FE zoom has relegated the Zeiss to the shelf. I have an excellent copy of the FE 24-70 and primarily do landscape shooting, so I'm not bothered by the distortion at 24-25mm. I'm selling my Zeiss 25mm on FM right now. YMMV.

Joe

P.S. And I've got a Leica WATE.
    Last edited by Joe Colson; 13th May 2014 at 13:04. Reason: Added PS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Colson View Post
    I've tried the Zeiss 25mm f/2 ZE (for Canon) with the Metabones III adapter and actually prefer the FE 24-70mm. No doubt the Zeiss 25mm is a stellar prime, but the convenience and size of the FE zoom has relegated the Zeiss to the shelf. I have an excellent copy of the FE 24-70 and primarily do landscape shooting, so I'm not bothered by the distortion at 24-25mm. I'm selling my Zeiss 25mm on FM right now. YMMV.

Joe

P.S. And I've got a Leica WATE.
    Would kill to have the WATE, but that's too rich for me. I've been getting good results from the FE 24-70, but not thrilled at 24mm. Clearly, you must have a better copy than me, Joe.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm happy enough with the Elmarit-R 19mm f/2.8 and Nikkor 18mm f/3.5 AI-S. Both do a fine job, although neither is "perfection perfected."

G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You could also save yourself a ton of cash and pickup a Canon 20mm f/2.8 FD lens for a couple hundred bucks. Beautiful on the A7R.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Jones View Post
    You could also save yourself a ton of cash and pickup a Canon 20mm f/2.8 FD lens for a couple hundred bucks. Beautiful on the A7R.
    Did a bit of an about face tonight and decided to carry on with the 24mm side of my FE 24-70 and see if anything happens soon with the FE 16-35. I don't know anything about this Canon 20mm, Chuck, but you have my attention. If you have any images you'd like to share, that would be great!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I've come to a decision and will probably sell my 24-70FE for a 35FE then just wait on the 16-35FE. I have a feeling it will be a better WA solution for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Problem is that 16-35 might be a long wait for one and have we heard anything more about it. My guess we won't see this until at least September with Photokinia. I can't wait that long myself and once again its F4 which is really slow in low light places. Agree it might be nice but I'm not going to wait and at 16mm it won't be very good is my guess.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My point is I'm not betting on it just like the 24-70 which I purposely put a hood on it that vignettes at 24mm so I would not shoot there. Nice trick and it works but I hate not using all of a zoom.

This is exactly why I just saved my money and repurchased the 28-70 kit lens and only use it on the A7 since it works at 28mm pretty well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If you don't need AF, a Nikon 17-35/2.8 with a busted AF motor (quite common) could be a good solution. Bought mine for about 350 euro and I use it on an A7. I like it very much.
    Far from light and unobtrusive, though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Jones View Post
    I was going to recommend this as well... seems that people are getting good results with this lens.

There's a beater condition one at KEH for $139... if it has good optics, whould be hard to beat that.
    a7r, a7rII, FE 16-35, FE 24-70GM, FE 70-200, Loxia 21mm, 35mm, 50mm

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I have the Rokinon 14 but as more native lenses come out I'm switching over where they are "good enough." I thought the 16-35 was supposed to come out this summer. and I image that I would use the 16-35 more outdoors than anything. I'm really more of a 21 guy as of late when it comes to wides so if 18-25 works well enough on the 16-35 I'll be good. I prefer primes in the 35-90 range though and a 16-35/4, 35/2.8, 55/1.8, and 70-200/4 would be a great all around kit for me. I'm hoping for a faster 35 eventually but 2.8 is good enough for now.

Lightroom does good enough job with lens profiles (even with the 24-70) so that's another difference that works for me Guy as you're a C1 user. I think I just rather go with primesin my most used focal lengths (35/50-ish.)

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Problem with a wide lens is that when you software correct your lens suddenly it isn't all that wide any more. If they design the 16-35 like they did the 24-70 we will see this and probably rather significantly.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Problem with a wide lens is that when you software correct your lens suddenly it isn't all that wide any more. If they design the 16-35 like they did the 24-70 we will see this and probably rather significantly.
    I have a feeling that the 24-70 is actually 24 when corrected. It seems pretty close in FOV to my 24 Elmar corrected so maybe it's like a 21 or 22 uncorrected on the wide end.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I listed my 25mm . I must be nuts

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Canon FD 20mm f2.8 and it's not very good wide open on the A7. Here are some quick samples I JUST took.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I listed my 25mm . I must be nuts
    I'm about to list my 70-200/2.8 in A-mount... I'm not nuts... Just getting rid of excess but it's a great lens (the few times I've used it.)

Post Thanks / Like

I too am anxiously waiting for a WA in FE lenses.

In the meantime, I am quite happy with a used Nikon 20mm F3.5 purchased for BH. The color rendition is quite good with no vignetting when used with a polarizing filter -OR- lens hood. It is not quite as sharp at the extreme edges as my Nikon 16-35, but the color/contrast is MUCH better. And of course, it's a LOT smaller. Best yet - there are some very good LR lens profiles for this lens which eliminate light falloff and distortion.

Best of all, legacy lenses hold their values quite well. You can often buy one, use it for a few months, then sell it for little or no loss.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

FWIW I find my Sony/Zeiss A mount 24-70 with the LEA4 is better at 24 mm than the FE 24-70. Of course it does not have OSS and it's heavy beast.

At full aperture both lenses are soft at 24 mm, but the A mount version improves quickly with stopping down whereas the FE never really gets good - tho' its "OK".

Post Thanks / Like

And that's why so many claim: What's the rush to mirrorless? What's wrong with dslr's?
    Eduardo

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Caulfeild-Browne View Post
    FWIW I find my Sony/Zeiss A mount 24-70 with the LEA4 is better at 24 mm than the FE 24-70. Of course it does not have OSS and it's heavy beast.

At full aperture both lenses are soft at 24 mm, but the A mount version improves quickly with stopping down whereas the FE never really gets good - tho' its "OK".

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Uaiomex View Post
    And that's why so many claim: What's the rush to mirrorless? What's wrong with dslr's?
    Eduardo
    Size. Flexibility to use just about any lens from forgotten systems. Relatively inexpensive or at least competitively priced compared to other system cameras.
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Doug, If I am right, you need a stop gap of high quality which you can maybe move along later when better native FE lenses arrive. It will depend on what you shoot and your personal preferences: tripod/ street vs landscapes, etc. (I cannot see your site at present).

Most of the candidates are costly and need adapters, making them very large and most are heavyweights - heavier than the FE 24-70 for example. My guess is the WA FE zoom is in stealth mode, but no longer being talked up - it is very likely to be out within a few months time. Apart from dual A/E mount users walking with one leg on either side of Sony's barbed wire fence, most FE users will, in 6-12 months time, be using FE lenses except for special beloved lenses from which they get the best from the a7/r sensors, that are worth the hassle of adapters.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One reason I am hanging on to A glass. I will switch out when a FE lens actually beats the snot out of them. Only 1 so far is the 55mm. A glass is faster too

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The rush to mirrorless = what is wrong with DSLRs in my book, but it is horribly personal and hard to put yourself in other people's shoes.

WRT Sony a7/r vs 5D3/D800:
    size, weight, conspicuousness (stealth, candid photography), payload when shooting, flexibility (two mirrorless FFs with different FL lenses on them weigh about one Nikon pro zoom) so camera swapping is easy and fast; easier/faster lens changes (smaller gear takes less space on car seats or rocks); payload when travelling (carry on everything for aircraft); gear protection (easier to protect small light cameras in crowds); easier to place in/get out of small bags; smaller/lighter everything (batteries/chargers/bags/cards/tripod); easier carry for walking/trekking; readier access due to small shoulder bag not giant camera backpack; EVF for histo/low light focusing and metering (compared to C/N); possible to shoot ultra low light (EVF focus aids) (compared to C/N); more energy after a long day to keep doing high quality work, more shots per hour; unrivalled manual lens range capability and usability.

That is a non-exhaustive list. I think perhaps 35-45% of my current work cannot be done with say, a D800 or a900. Camera size is a big factor in how human beings react to your attempts to photograph them candidly. cheers.

Post Thanks / Like

I have both the CV Ultron 21/1.8 and the CV Heliar 15/4.5 and use them regularly on the A7.

Edge smearing is worse on the 15 (as you'd expect) but is unnoticeable on the 21 when stopped down. The 21 is (as you would expect) soft wide open at 1.8 but then the compositional opportunities compensate for that, imho. Ergonomically, I love using these lenses as they are beautifully built and you feel a real connection when using them.

If you look at my Flickr stream or my posts here you can see the results of both lenses.

Like you, I am disappointed not to find more about the 16-35 (which would probably be my preferred solution as and when it arrives). There are also the FE 21/2.8 and FE 25/2 on the Sony lens roadmap but who knows when they will arrive. Clearly, Sony need to prioritise WA lenses because the medium WA, normal and medium telephoto are now covered.

LouisB
    -----
    My new book "Whitechapel in 50 BUildings", Flikr Stream, www.louisberk.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just lost a big job today because I don't have a useable wide. Wish Sony would get their act together. Pro's need a good wide zoom. It's a workhorse lens.

Post Thanks / Like

Have a look at the SEL 10-18mm f4. It works surprisingly well in FF mode @13,14,15,16mm.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just lost a big job today because I don't have a useable wide. Wish Sony would get their act together. Pro's need a good wide zoom. It's a workhorse lens.
    That's not good at all

Post Thanks / Like

All the more reason for pros to have more than one system. Not getting rid of my Nikons yet. That being said, I will do 3 shoots this week with an EM-1 but it's not for everything.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Fair enough, I sold my Canon system when I retired from event work, just would have been nice to have the gear to take the occasional job.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ben can you rent. Its easy for me here in the States but do not how your situation is over there.

Post Thanks / Like

The most satisfying (and, unfortunately, also the most expensive) wide angle solution I've found so far for the a7R is the Leica WATE. Resolution is quite good out to the corners and the weight is a good match for the a7R. Stopped way down, the Leica 24mm Elmarit f3.8 is decent, but not as good or as flexible as the WATE. Compromising the a7R's weight advantage, the Canon TSE 24mm (Ver 2) is very good with a Metabones adapter. The Zeiss 21mm f2.8 is also good in the Nikon mount version I've tried, but, again, on the heavy side for this body. Both of these larger lenses need a fair amount of stopping down to ensure decent corner performance (at least f8 in my tests).

My original version of the FE 24-70 (received soon after this lens started to ship) was very disappointing in the corners at 24mm at any aperture but a second copy I recently tried was greatly improved. Perhaps this is simply sample variation at work or maybe Sony improved quality control. In any case, if you don't like your current version, you might try another now to see whether you can get a better copy.

Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I rented a second 24-70 since I sent my purchased one went back. It was okay but still not even close to my Zeiss 25 F2. The zoom in my opinion is a good 28-65 but the 55 1.8 smokes it too. Bottom line its a good general purpose zoom and it ends there. I bought the kit lens and will only use it on the A7 which a 28-75 is a nice PR / event type lens. Nothing more. Bottom line you want quality primes are the answer. Also Primes are faster and easier to focus in lower light. Even landscape work I'm out before the sun even thinks about waking up. f4 lenses are nice for one thing , smaller and lighter. One reason I'm hanging on to A glass until FE come out faster. We may have a long wait for that and waiting for me is not a option, I need to eat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Beni - as Guy said - rent. And - try the Nikon 14-24mm
    Yes it is expensive, but you already have the Novoflex Nikon adapter as much as I know so you will see THAT is the lens that hums on the 36 Mpix.

with or without movements....

Greetings from Germany
    Stefan
    because photography is more than technology - and " as we have done this all the time "
    facebook:hcam.de - www.hcam.de - www.hartblei.de

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My issue with the WATE outside of price is it would be more useful as a 18,21,24. If it was I would be all over it like white on rice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Steib View Post
    Beni - as Guy said - rent. And - try the Nikon 14-24mm
    Yes it is expensive, but you already have the Novoflex Nikon adapter as much as I know so you will see THAT is the lens that hums on the 36 Mpix.

with or without movements....

Greetings from Germany
    Stefan
    Just love that setup.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Btw my Sony 20mm 2.8 A lens is not bad. Did a shoot last night with it and looks pretty good. I have a weird spot but I had a damn fingerprint on the lens and I can see it . Luckily it was not in a important spot. Very top palm tree in back. I burned it down a touch to fix some of it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not to go off topic but this stuff happens when your 15 ft in the air its hot as **** out and you hand your camera down to a client to view the playback. It's not my fingerprint . Lol

I'm off to go shoot more today of these Blue Palm trees . Today I'll my watching closer for it. Going to hit around 100. Have I mentioned I hate the freaking desert. Lol

Post Thanks / Like

From everything I've read/seen, the WATE is probably THE killer pairing for the A7R's sensor at the SWA end of things. Perfect size too. Unfortunately, I just can't justify the price. If I did a Kickstarter thing for a copy, would all of you make that happen for me?

I'm getting results out of the FE 24-70 that I really like from ~26-65mm. Maybe I should try another copy to see what the ends look like. It would certainly make things a lot easier if I could better corners at 24. Then again, it might just be asking too much from this lens. The other thing that I really like about the 24-70 is that it's just a great lens for walking about. It's light and the OSS is super handy for those times where you don't want to drag around the tripod. And since I'm not doing much indoor work, F4 works just fine.

Stefan - I'll bet the Nikon 14-24 is great with the A7R, but man, that's a big, heavy piece of glass.
    www.douglaswoodphotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Not to go off topic but this stuff happens when your 15 ft in the air its hot as **** out and you hand your camera down to a client to view the playback. It's not my fingerprint . Lol

I'm off to go shoot more today of these Blue Palm trees . Today I'll my watching closer for it. Going to hit around 100. Have I mentioned I hate the freaking desert. Lol
    but it's a dry heat; you know, like a convection oven
    www.douglaswoodphotography.com