The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Soft release for A7/r

Godfrey

You freaking jinxed me! Guess what happened to me tonight. Took the camera out of my bag. No shutter button. Actually the aluminium is just a shell, there is still a button underneath. The shell snapped back on easily enough and doesn't pull off easily. If it happens again I'll have it glued on permanently by my local shop.
Yuck. Sorry to hear it.

These are the best for the best price
Those appear to be standard screw-in soft releases. They won't work with the A7, since it doesn't have a threaded release button. That's what's different about the Lolumina kit; it's designed for non-threaded release buttons.

Ben Rubinstein

Happened again except this time it ripped the shutter release completely off cracking the plastic post underneath (the shutter button under the aluminium cover is a T shaped plastic post, the leg of the T snapped in half). Superglued it back on for the moment but I honestly have to warn people off the lolumina until they can design a model which does not have that lip. The sony shutter release is not built to resist the torque of that lip catching on stuff, the 'stuff' in question being the edge of my crumpler bag or the dividers inside of the bag (one strike each). In the meantime I'm going to have to get the shutter button assembly replaced at some point soon and it's going to cost. Not hugely happy.

Last edited:

fotophil

Their soft release sure looked like a great idea at first but has proven otherwise. The company now has uninstallation instructions on their website. I used a combination of the recommended dental floss in combinaton with a brand new straight razor blade to remove the adapter from my Sony A7. Very clean removal with no trace of adhesive.

Ben Rubinstein

Yeah well the super glue didn't work other than to glue the post into the camera so that now whether I like it or not the button assembly has to be replaced. Off to the camera shop. I removed the lolumina with a finger nail, no floss needed. Came straight off. Annoyed as heck, I had a shoot on Thursday.

Ben Rubinstein

Repair guy is on holiday until Monday when I'm sure he has a huge backlog. I took a drawing pin, cut down the pin part and gaffered it onto the shutter, hey presto a new 'T' post. Um, sort of. It will do for the shoot at the end of this week. Mcgyver would be proud.

RiversPhoto

I know people seem to love these soft releases, but I just don't get on with them. To me, they assist me in jiggling the camera more—I've tried them on several occasions, just didn't work.

I use the finger guard around a shutter release to rest my finger on and gently roll my finger onto the release button ... zero shake that way. Somehow holding my finger above the release and trying to push straight down, no matter what kind of soft release is there, makes me move the camera a lot more.

Not trying to start a controversy, I am just very curious as to why others find these things so desirable.

G
I have long fingers, and pushing the shutter button on my A7 or Leica M with the pad of my finger is very contorted. By using a soft release I can place the tip of my finger on the mode dial, and the first knuckle is lightly touching the soft release. To take a shot, the knuckle softly depresses the now elevated shutter button.

Michael