The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony Service Experiences?

fotografz

Okay, Sony are aggressively moving toward a higher end user base … some of which rely on their cameras more than others.

I've been using Sony as my work horse system now for 6 years. Two A900s and now the A99 and A7R.

So far I've not needed any service, warranty or after warranty.

However, as Sony captures more and more users I wonder exactly how reliable their service is, who does it, and if they retain parts for older cameras such as the A900 and even APSc DSLR cameras prior to that ?

Any thoughts or experiences?

- Marc

cgthanos

I had accumulated a collection of dust and spots on my a7r sensor cover glass and decided to attempt a wet cleaning with sensor swabs. Apparently, as reported by Roger Cicala on another forum, the cover glass is extremely soft and despite my very careful attempt at dust-free cleaning, I ended up with light horizontal scratches. In addition, there were a few vertical scratches which occurred through some other mechanism as I only cleaned the sensor in the one direction. I went through the service order process online, shipped my body off to sony, and had it back within a week with a new spotless coverglass -- all for free (except outbound shipping). I even received an email from the technician with f/32 photos of the sensor before and after the work. I would give them top marks for service speed and quality of communication.

tashley

Subscriber Member
I second that. I was expecting a car smash but they were very quick, no quibbles and got it right first time. IMHO better than Nikon by a country mile.

D

Deleted member 7792

The first a7R that I bought developed a rear LCD separation/defect:

I followed the online instructions for Sony repair services, shipped my camera to Sony's repair facility in Laredo, TX as instructed, and had it back in the 7-10 day estimated repair interval with a new rear LCD (aka Display Module and Cover Block Assy). I was impressed, given my previous experiences with Leica and Nikon.

Joe

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I've never had a problem with Sony cameras (a900, a77, now a99 and a7r) but I did with two lenses. The 300 f2.8 was very soft and they just simply gave me a new one which was fine. My 24-70 ZA developed an inability to focus at infinity. It was fixed and returned in a week and seems sharper now than when it was new! (And is sharper at 24 mm than my 24-70 FE OSS).

philip_pj

In five years with a700, a900, a77, a99, RX1 and a7r - nothing required from them. I did approach Sony Aust for a sensor clean and found them very bureaucratic but professional in their customer relations.

Malina DZ

I shoot with a100, a850 & TX10. Had a bunch of Sony P&S before getting a DSLR. P&S never had any issues with them. They died either because of a hard shock or submerging they were not rated for at all.
Build quality was one of the reasons for getting a Sony brand DSLR (a100) back in 2007. The camera still shoots, but sometimes in hot weather and intensive shooting (20 shots/min for an hour) camera halts with a stuck diaphragm and displays "error code = 0x5b". Removing the battery solves the issue, and camera can shoot again in a slower pace though. Fixing the diaphragm actuator would cost me at least $300 according to Sony service center in 2011. I could get a very good condition a100 at that time for this amount of $.
Recently I noticed that a100 at speeds higher than 1/3200 produces a heavy vignetting, 50% of the frame from the top, due to a failing shutter curtain, I guess. I'm sure Sony can still fix the camera, but I have no intension to pay for that, since my primary camera a850 shoots without letting me down.

Marc, if you know the camera part number that require repair/replacement, you can check its availability on ServicesPLUS website: https://www.servicesplus.sel.sony.com/sony-parts.aspx

I have no experience with latest Sony camera models, but feel somehow less secure in terms of durability with ones that rely more on electronics than mechanics in a high humidity 80F+ environment.

pegelli

I have a KM5D, A700, A850, NEX5 and NEX6 (+ a stable of lenses).

Only the A850 needed a repair once for a broken AF unit. Camera was sent to TechRepair (Authorized Sony Repair center) in Bergen op Zoom (Netherlands) and was repaired/cleaned without any problem. It only took a little long because of the delivery time of the parts. For the rest no complaints at all.