The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7r time lapse video app

Don Libby

I'm kicking around the idea of doing time lapse video on the A7r IR converted camera and began looking around this morning for more information. What I found was a You-Tube and link to PlayMemories Camera App. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is it worth it? Does it work or should I keep looking....

Don

Terry

I'm kicking around the idea of doing time lapse video on the A7r IR converted camera and began looking around this morning for more information. What I found was a You-Tube and link to PlayMemories Camera App. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is it worth it? Does it work or should I keep looking....

Don
Do you use Lightroom? You can create it there. Lots of videos on line.

Don Libby

Terry, I don't use Light Room; tried it several times and kept returning to PS.

What I attempting to try is a time lapse video in camera. I've done several time-lapse stills in the past turning them into a video however it creates more trouble that what I need which is a seamless video taken in camera.

I've looked into the app a little closer now and see that this might fit my needs.

There isn't much IR video being done and very little time-lapse at that.

dandrewk

I've done several time lapse videos with my A7, both with the Play Memories app and using external software.

The PM app works quite fine and will give decent time lapse footage. But it's very basic, and won't allow much user input with regards to pre or post production settings. It just spits out the final movie. If, for example, you are doing moving clouds over trees, you are bound to see a perfectly exposed sky and clouds over dark silhouetted tree shapes. There is no way to balance the images by bumping up shadow detail.

Nowadays I only use the PM app to capture the images (it has that setting) and export them to LRTimlapse:

LRTimelapse - advanced Time Lapse Photography made easy!

This are online video tutorials, very easy to learn and the app is painfully easy to use. There is a very usable free version - the pro versions adds some things that only a professional would need.

The "LR" in the title stands for "Lightroom", it does need to use Lightroom's powerful image management facilities. But you will have complete control of the final product. It's especially useful with changing lighting conditions, and will also allow for virtual camera pans and zooms, making the video much more interesting.

My iMac is in the shop ATM. When I get it back I'll try and remember to post an example TL video.

rayyen

Great sharing!
I used the TL apps a few times, like u said, spit out a video file, very simple and very basic, no room for photo retouch at all.
I wish I can use the app for capture still pic only and allows me to do edit in LR...

Annna T

How to use the app for capture only? So that I can use LRT...
Not sure what you mean ?

But the last version of Sony TimeLapse app has a custom mode allowing you to shoot raws (aka a series of stills), which you can then treat in LR or also use the more convenient LRTimelapse software linked above, which allows nicer seamless progressive corrections.

If you just want a remote release in order to take stills, there is also such an app among the Sony Playmemory apps.

Don Libby

Thanks for the feedback. I normally use Adobe Premiere when working on a video file which is what I expect I'll do with this.

Don