Site Sponsors

Thread: A7 minimum shutter speed limit?

Post Thanks / Like

A7 minimum shutter speed limit?

Hey guys,

I'm configuring the #1 and #2 custom settings on my A7 and one of them I'd like to have aperture priority and auto shutter...but I was wondering if there is any way to limit the minimum shutter speed. I see that many times it chooses shutter speeds as low as 1/4 and I don't want that.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Re: A7 minimum shutter speed limit?

Quote Originally Posted by Rawfa View Post
    Hey guys,

I'm configuring the #1 and #2 custom settings on my A7 and one of them I'd like to have aperture priority and auto shutter...but I was wondering if there is any way to limit the minimum shutter speed. I see that many times it chooses shutter speeds as low as 1/4 and I don't want that.
    I don't know why Sony has not fixed firmware to address this issue. I no longer can use auto ISO and aperture priority mode when lighting is low because it defaults to 1/60 sec which is often not usable at longer focal lengths. Now use manual mode and auto ISO. Most other camera makers allow selecting a minimum acceptable shutter speed in auto ISO setup.
    Carl
    Gallery
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

A7 in Aperture AE and fixed ISO will run to whatever exposure time is necessary. No way to change that, that's kind of the point of aperture priority AE.

A7 in Aperture AE and AutoISO will bottom at 1/60 sec before pushing up ISO *fine for lenses up to 50mm.

If shooting with longer lenses and running into the low shutter speed limit, switch to Manual exposure with AutoISO if you want automation. Then you set shutter and aperture, camera slides sensitivity around to suit, within the ISO range limits you've selected. But watch the settings and be careful of over- and under-exposure circumstances: you'll over-expose if there's more light than your bottom ISO and manual aperture/shutter can handle, and you'll under-expose if there's less light than your max ISO and manual aperture/shutter can handle. I find it sometimes a little tricky to remember to adjust and get things right.

G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

As Godfrey says, manual with auto iso. Only problem is that if like myself your lower iso is 1/320, when you step into bright light you have to adjust.
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Speaking of Manual exposure mode, the thing I'd like to see Sony add to the A7/r series is a feature that the Ricoh GXR-M has: when in Manual exposure mode, press the four-way up or down arrows and the exposure time will jump to settings appropriate for whatever's currently in the metering window according to what the Program line would have set.

It's a great way to get approximately close (and sometimes right on the ball) to the settings you want very quickly. From there you can tweak aperture and shutter speed to fine tune exposure very quickly if necessary.

G