The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony A7 + Minolta 135 = Magic Tele Combo

arize84

I only discovered the Minolta 135 2.8 in the last couple of months. Bought one of Ebay for $300 and finally had the chance to try it this weekend. The first thing you will notice is that this lens is super short and lightweight for a telephoto; it's about the same size as the FE 55 1.8 which makes for excellent pairing with the A7 (see attached thumbnail). Second the lens is super sharp even wide open, not as sharp as the Canon 135L but still plenty sharp; where it beats the Canon is in colors, it produces beautiful saturation and contrast. Also the Minolta has a very snappy and relatively quiet autofocus though not as impressive as the Canon version.

The lens' one con is its near lack of control for chromatic aberration. That said, I'm not sure if its because of improvements in LR5 or the uniform nature of the len's CA, but it is remarkably easily to completely remove in LR.

I love using teles for discreet street shooting but I'm often hampered by the weight and size, the Minolta solves this problem for me; and it's of course a wonderful portrait lens to boot.

Hartford 2 20140531 by Icon Foto, on Flickr

Hartford 3 20140531 by Icon Foto, on Flickr

Hartford 1 20140531-Edit by Icon Foto, on Flickr

Hartford 6 20140531-Edit by Icon Foto, on Flickr

k-hawinkler

I only discovered the Minolta 135 2.8 in the last couple of months. Bought one of Ebay for $300 and finally had the chance to try it this weekend. The first thing you will notice is that this lens is super short and lightweight for a telephoto; it's about the same size as the FE 55 1.8 which makes for excellent pairing with the A7 (see attached thumbnail). Second the lens is super sharp even wide open, not as sharp as the Canon 135L but still plenty sharp; where it beats the Canon is in colors, it produces beautiful saturation and contrast. Also the Minolta has a very snappy and relatively quiet autofocus though not as impressive as the Canon version.

The lens' one con is its near lack of control for chromatic aberration. That said, I'm not sure if its because of improvements in LR5 or the uniform nature of the len's CA, but it is remarkably easily to completely remove in LR.

I love using teles for discreet street shooting but I'm often hampered by the weight and size, the Minolta solves this problem for me; and it's of course a wonderful portrait lens to boot.

Hartford 2 20140531 by Icon Foto, on Flickr

Hartford 3 20140531 by Icon Foto, on Flickr

Hartford 1 20140531-Edit by Icon Foto, on Flickr

Hartford 6 20140531-Edit by Icon Foto, on Flickr

Thanks. Very interesting.
Do you need an adapter for AF on the A7R.
If so, which one? TIA.

benroy

Subscriber Member
There are other Minolta Maxxum alpha mount lenses that work with the LAEA4 adapter and produce excellent images: 35/2, 50/2.8 macro, 100/2.8 macro, 100/2, 200/2.8...all available on eBay, but prices have shot up as people catch on to these lenses...and don't forget the 70-210/4 "beercan"!

Roy Benson

benroy

Subscriber Member
Minolta Maxxum Samples: 1st 2: 100/2, 2nd 2 135/2.8: with A7 and adapter...

Last edited:

benroy

Subscriber Member
Minolta Maxxum samples: 1st 2: 50 macro, #3: 100 macro, #4 70-210

Last edited:

Rawfa

There are other Minolta Maxxum alpha mount lenses that work with the LAEA4 adapter and produce excellent images: 35/2, 50/2.8 macro, 100/2.8 macro, 100/2, 200/2.8...all available on eBay, but prices have shot up as people catch on to these lenses...and don't forget the 70-210/4 "beercan"!

Roy Benson
I JUST got the 70-210mm f4 beercan to use with the LAEA4. What are you thoughts on the combo?? I´ve yet to receive the LAEA4.

Knorp

I JUST got the 70-210mm f4 beercan to use with the LAEA4. What are you thoughts on the combo?? I´ve yet to receive the LAEA4.
If you got this one you should be fine: Minolta AF ZOOM 70-210mm 1:4(32).
That's supposed to be from the "beer can" series.
But let's wait and see what Roy has to say about this matter.

Kind regards.

benroy

Subscriber Member
Using the 70-210/4 ("beercan") with the A7 and adapter. This is a very nice lens...well constructed, light, easy to hand-hold...produces sharp images at all focal lengths...has a legendary reputation that has lasted over the years, and deservedly so...and CHEAP! Produces excellent 11x17s (as large as I go)...Minolta primes: 100/2, 135/2.8, and 200/2.8 are sizzingly sharper than the 70/210's just plain tack sharp. I doubt very much you could tell the difference in image quality between the Nikon and Canon versions and the Minolta...and the Minolta runs at 25% of the price of the Nikon and Canon 70-200s. The Leica 70-210, by the way, is a rebadging of the "beercan".

Last edited:

benroy

Subscriber Member
Thanks, Rafael. I'm an 82 year old backyard shooter that has no interest in AF speed...so I'm the wrong guy to cover this topic...it meets my needs (trees, flowers, etc.). Sports?
Indoor activities? I doubt this lens will do the job for you.

Roy Benson

Rawfa

Roy, enven though you weren´t able to answer my question you have just made my day as I really hope to reach 82 and be as enthusiastic about photography as I am today (hopefuly more)

:D