The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ballhead recommendation for the A7

Ben Rubinstein

I will travel with A7R for sure and it will be my main camera for landscapes, but i will carry also my Canon 1DX, Canon 1 series are always heavy, and pairing that with some Canon L lenses will give it heavy gear, so i will not travel with 2 tripods and i don't want to depend on Gitzo series 1 traveller tripod for my Canon gear.

Maybe i have to look back on BH-40, it sounds a great fit for series 3 and i am sure it will handle Sony and Canon bodies with different lenses weights up to 70-200/100-400L.
I have a BH-40 and it's marginal over 200mm as RRS themselves say. If you're putting a 1 series body with a 100-400mm lens on it, get the BH-55.

Professional

I have a BH-40 and it's marginal over 200mm as RRS themselves say. If you're putting a 1 series body with a 100-400mm lens on it, get the BH-55.
No need to get BH-55, i have it long time ago.

Maybe better i travel with BH-55 so i can put anything from lightweight to so heavy gear and never worry, i should handle the weight of BH-55 itself.

Shashin

Acra Swiss P0. Great head. Small but takes some huge loads--I use it with an RX-1 and Pentax 645D.

Ari

Are there any FLM users here? The spec looks very interesting and they also are great looking. From the review, it also sounded like they are well crafted.
Yes, I've been using FLM for over a year now.

Disclaimer: I bought an FLM ball head and I was so impressed with it, that I became the distributor for FLM in North America (no joke).

I can tell you that I use one ball head (and one tripod) for all formats: digital, medium format, 4x5 and 8x10. The FLM gear supports everything, without problem, and is very light to carry.

The bonus is that the ball head (and tripod) enhances my shooting experience: the little details and features that come with the ball head make setting up, levelling, framing and shooting a breeze; I am no longer fighting my equipment, my equipment is helping me. Consequently, I forget it's there.

I use a CB-58FTR ball head because of the wide range of gear I use (1.5 lbs - 24 lbs); I'd suggest you look at the CB-38FTR or CB-43FTR for your current set-up.

You may not need the tilt function; it is a godsend to those of us who work with view cameras or require very precise framing with digital backs. It's also fun to have, just in case. But if you don't need it, the CB-38F or CB-43F will amply meet your requirements.

And yes, every piece is designed and manufactured in Germany to very high standards.

Good luck in your choice!

Last edited:

Godfrey

Yes, I've been using FLM for over a year now.

Disclaimer: I bought an FLM ball head and I was so impressed with it, that I became the distributor for FLM in North America (no joke).

I can tell you that I use one ball head (and one tripod) for all formats: digital, medium format, 4x5 and 8x10. The FLM gear supports everything, without problem, and is very light to carry. ...
I'm very happy with my A-S P0 head, but I'm interested in a set of FLM legs ... Seem to be a bit difficult to find and get full specs for.

G

Ari

I'm very happy with my A-S P0 head, but I'm interested in a set of FLM legs ... Seem to be a bit difficult to find and get full specs for.

G
B&H has good, detailed specs on all of our tripods; here is their listing for our travel tripod, the CP26-S4S: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/995510-REG/flm_32_26_902_cp26_s4s_carbon_fiber_tripod.html
If you need any other information, the website linked below has tripod specs and you can also download the full catalogue for specs galore.
You can also contact me anytime at ari @ flmcanada . com
(I added spaces there for the spammers).
Thank you, Godfrey.

Godfrey

B&H has good, detailed specs on all of our tripods; here is their listing for our travel tripod, the CP26-S4S: FLM CP26-S4S Carbon Fiber Tripod 32 26 902 B&H Photo Video
If you need any other information, the website linked below has tripod specs and you can also download the full catalogue for specs galore.
You can also contact me anytime at ari @ flmcanada . com
(I added spaces there for the spammers).
Thank you, Godfrey.
Thx! I downloaded the catalog and will study the offerings.

Minor nit with the catalog: in the legs section, it marks 3section as more stable, more compact and 4section as less stable, less compact. Um, I think one less and one more should be switched according to the dimensions ... :)

Ari

G
Thx! I downloaded the catalog and will study the offerings.

Minor nit with the catalog: in the legs section, it marks 3section as more stable, more compact and 4section as less stable, less compact. Um, I think one less and one more should be switched according to the dimensions ... :)
Yes, I know.
I did say that everything is made in Germany, and I wasn't kidding. :)
The new catalogue will finally have the correct description.
Thank you, Godfrey.

dandrewk

How do you guys mount telephotos with tripod mounts/rings? e.g. the FE70-200? If using an RRS or any type with Arca type quick release, do you use a generic plate for the lens or use the camera's plate? I don't see that RRS makes custom plates for Sony lenses yet.

How do you guys mount telephotos with tripod mounts/rings? e.g. the FE70-200?
I use this RRS plate for the 70-200mm, attached to the collar mount - multi-use fore-aft plate. It has a anti-rotation flange so it doesn't twist. (they make this style plate in a few different lengths; a shorter one would be fine for the Sony, since its foot is pretty small, but I had this one on hand.)

Godfrey

How do you guys mount telephotos with tripod mounts/rings? e.g. the FE70-200? If using an RRS or any type with Arca type quick release, do you use a generic plate for the lens or use the camera's plate? I don't see that RRS makes custom plates for Sony lenses yet.
With the Leica Elmarit-R 180/2.8, I use a generic plate bolted to the lens' built-in tripod mount. (I have a lens mounting plate fitted to the Olympus 50-200's mounting foot as well.) For the rest of the lenses I use with the A7, I fit an Novoflex ASTAT/NEX tripod foot to the mount adapter.

Long teles like 300-600mm teles (I don't have any at present) ... I've used a gimbal head in the past.

G

D

Deleted member 7792

RRS MPR-73. Works a treat.

Joe

VINCET

I have not make the purchase yet, but I think I am leaning towards the FLM CB-38 FTR ballhead. I do like the look, features, the idea that it is what Leica choose to rebadge, German made, but most of all, I am impress by their support. Ari in particular. I emailed him asking him about their product and he is very accommodating and answered all my questions well. Not only that, when I mentioned that I posted on this forum, he also signed in just to reply to the post. That is good customer service.

dandrewk

FWIW RRS recommends the BH 30 for 70-200 f2.8 lenses. That's with a DLSR. The A7 + FE70-200 f4.0 weighs in less than 3.5 lbs, well within the BH 30's very conservative 15 lb. rating.

It's always a trade off between portability and sturdiness. One of the great things about mirrorless are smaller tripods and heads. Smooth action (no "bounce back") is still critical, but (thank God!) bulk is no longer a requirement.